• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freshen up a 360

rtee007

Local time
2:08 PM
Reaction score
OK, I have a clean and decent stock 3604bbl in my 62 Belvedere (3.55 8.75 SG, 727 auto, stall unknown). I'd like to freshen it up a bit and I have a few things in the garage that will fit on this motor.
#1 Lunati #60403, Duration (Int/Exh), 268/276, Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 226/234, Lift (Int/Exh): .494/.513
#2 Power Plus Crosswinds dual plane intake (Eddie Air Gap knock off, a Christmas gift)
#3 Holley 4150

I think that I might need some stronger valve springs with this camshaft, maybe even upgrade to roller lifters/rockers.................and I would replace the stock manifolds eventually.....
20160513_160523.jpg
any input from you on this appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of compression and heads are you running? Because that cam might be a little too much for 8.5-1 Compression and 1.88 valves!
With that Air Gap type intake, you'll want a different throttle cable bracket to set everything up higher and you'll want to replace the kickdown linkage with something along the lines of a Lokar unit. That way you don't cobble together a system that might screw up your trans.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of compression and heads are you running? Because that cam might be a little too much for 8.5-1 Compression and 1.88 valves!
With that Air Gap type intake, you'll want a different throttle cable bracket to set everything up higher and you'll want to replace the kickdown linkage with something along the lines of a Lokar unit. That way you don't cobble together a system that might screw up your trans.

A crap shoot, I have no idea what the engine is other than a 360. I suppose these is a casting # on the heads under the vc's? Terrible to have free cam and can't use it!

A crap shoot, I have no idea what the engine is other than a 360. I suppose these is a casting # on the heads under the vc's? Terrible to have free cam and can't use it!
If I had to place a bet, I would say that those heads are 587 castings with the 72cc chambers.
If you have a little bit of coinage to spend, my suggestion is to get some Edelbrock RPM Heads. They have 63cc chambers and without changing anything on the bottom end you'll be up over 9.0-1. And because they flow much better than any factory iron head that cam will be a little happier since it has some extra lift, presumably for some higher end revving!:thumbsup:

Yeah.....coinage. LOL thanks for the info. Guess I will just put that camshaft back on the garage shelf.

I have the same cam in a RB 413 and I like it, but I have 11:1 compression... They close the intake valve quite early as it has quite a few degrees of "ground in" intake advance, so doesn't kill off your dynamic compression as badly as other cams of similar specs. You would definitely need better than stock valve springs. You can't put roller lifters on it, you can only put roller lifters on cams designed for such, so it's flat tappet hydraulic lifters for this cam only. Stock rockers should be OK as long as they are in good condition and you don't go too heavy on springs.

If your 360 is a stock bottom end with 8.5:1, this cam would reduce your low down torque significantly. Of course it will improve the breathing in mid to high end, but your stock heads and exhaust manifolds will severely limit the gains you should achieve. So really, the cam is not an ideal choice for your engine.

If $$ are tight and you want the most out of your stock bottom end and heads, I would -

1. Get headers and good exhaust (Will help make more power even with stock cam)
2. Install a Lunati Voodoo hydraulic cam more suited to your CR and stock heads
3. Install intake.

Instead of tearing into this 360, I have a complete Magnum core out by the garage out of a 1998 Dodge truck. Guess I will just build on that.
The decision now is how to build it. I will probably use the stock crank and rods, adding some good pistons.

Any input from you all is always welcome.
Street ride, pump gas (93), #3500 car, 3.55sg and a push button 727. No PS, PB or AC.

Last edited:
I considered using a Magnum for a time also, here's a good website that tells you what you can use and what doesn't swap over from the LA blocks.
http://www.magnumswap.com/using-la-parts-on-a-magnum/
Here's a good article by Steve Dulcich on building a Magnum motor.
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-0804-small-block-mopar-engine/

I have been there a few times when I put the 5.9 in my 1972 Swinger. I will revisit that website and see if anything has changed. I did convert the Dart to carburetor from the FI.
Since I am having trouble locating an LA 360, I guess this is going to have to work.
Thanks for the links.

Last edited:
Before considering building a magnum from scratch ($$), why not consider closed chamber alum heads for your existing 360? It will bump compression and kill the stock head for flow making the lunati cam you have a valid choice...

Before considering building a magnum from scratch ($$), why not consider closed chamber alum heads for your existing 360? It will bump compression and kill the stock head for flow making the lunati cam you have a valid choice...

Well, I will have to examine that option Frank, thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back