• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hard choice to make

hacksaw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:38 AM
Reaction score
a fellow mopar guy with strange taste like mine sent me a message.
.... he has a 413 cross ram mill i can get for a good price. So i am stepping back a few feet and think on this for a bit.
I really do love how the mopar family sticks together and is willing to help a guy with a thing he/her is doing. sadly this dose not help me at all. lol
id have to sell the poly but is there a market for a dual quad poly mill?? and do i really want to part with it??
im really in a pickle. i don't even know if it will clear the booster or fit in the fender wells. So i am asking for some input here. both have there pros and cons but both have that cool factor going for it.
what do yall think?? some input from someone outside looking in would be a good thing. $$$$$$$

011210115142f6c49e6ea66f4a652658.jpg

00O0O_fl2OsKyMaSM_0CI0lM_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
What car are you putting it in?

what crankshaft is in the 413? Is it for a 727, or a cast iron TF? They are different if you didn't know.

What car are you putting it in?

what crankshaft is in the 413? Is it for a 727, or a cast iron TF? They are different if you didn't know.
The 413 is a 64 and has a 727 trans. Intake is a 60 or 61. And I'm thinking my 62 dart wagon

I'd sell the Poly and buy the 413, if it fits (and it's the one in the photo). It looks super cool.

There is a market for the Poly, they are gaining a bit of a cult following.

I'd sell the Poly and buy the 413, if it fits (and it's the one in the photo). It looks super cool.

There is a market for the Poly, they are gaining a bit of a cult following.
not the one in the pic ... but you get the idea.
maby i post it tomarow with pics of the carbs linkage air cleaners and such. see whats up. mite buy the bb and shelve the poly for something later. i got a hornet shell that ain't doing anything.....lol

I would like to see a photo before I can give you a good answer, but 413 Cross Rams do not come around every day.
If you decided you wanted another Poly, I think you could find one easier than a 413. As I do not know a lot about poly parts, is the intake on your motor a rare or special piece? Would it be hard to find another if you wanted to change back. Also, do you really
have to sell your poly to pay for the new motor? Is there another way to find the $$$?

I would like to see a photo before I can give you a good answer, but 413 Cross Rams do not come around every day.
If you decided you wanted another Poly, I think you could find one easier than a 413. As I do not know a lot about poly parts, is the intake on your motor a rare or special piece? Would it be hard to find another if you wanted to change back. Also, do you really
have to sell your poly to pay for the new motor? Is there another way to find the $$$?
I can get it without selling it. But think someone would like to have one.... That just don't fall out of the trees offtin

Long rams do not fit well in a B body. Long crankshafts only fit cast iron TFs. I recommend stroking the poly with a newer style crankshaft to simplify the swap. If going with the Rb swap, head straight to 440 or larger. Skip on the 413, rebuild costs are equal but, the 440 is far easier to obtain parts and speed equipment for.
Mike

There is a 1" adapter you can run to use a more modern carb in place if the small bolt pattern dinosaur carbs. Most people wouldn't know it was on there.
I don't know how the fit is in a b body, but it would be cool once done.
No contest for me. The poly would leave and in would go the long ram....even if it took some effort to make it work!

You will need to notch a box out in your passenger side inner fender for the right side intake and carb to fit in. I had replaced the 313/3-speed manual with a 383/4-speed in my '62 Dart about 55 years ago (yeah, I'm a dinosaur!), and I was offered this setup for $75.00 back then. I did some measurements and decided to pass on it, feeling the work required to install it was beyond my capabilities.

a poly w a dual quad is to cool to part with . way to cool . but i do love the cross ram . i’d go with both , in my shop ….to clarify , if i choose to run the 413 the poly would go on an engine stand to play with later …

Last edited:
My 2 cents.. What are your long term plans for the car? Drive it a little or drive it allot ?
You have the Poly. The money you will spend for the 413 can go to building the Poly.
Chances are you won't get much for a Poly even if it was a running condition engine.
Yes the 413 would have a cool factor with the long cross ram, but that unsure fitment may be a big can of worms in a B Body. I am only going by a budget point. Everything I post always has to do with budget.
If you got the dough then do what you heart desires.

I used to know a guy who had a long ram in a 62 Dodge
No way will it fit in a car with power brakes.
I cant remember if he had to notch the sheetmetal or not to make it clear, But if I had to guess, He didnt

I had a '62 Chrysler 300H 2X4 inline setup on a 426 Street Wedge in a Polara 500 convertible that I used to own. It was great eye candy, and never failed to draw onlookers. However, I thought the single 750 cfm. Eddie that was on my 440 in my 1967 R/T felt a lot crisper.

My 2 cents.. What are your long term plans for the car? Drive it a little or drive it allot ?
You have the Poly. The money you will spend for the 413 can go to building the Poly.
Chances are you won't get much for a Poly even if it was a running condition engine.
Yes the 413 would have a cool factor with the long cross ram, but that unsure fitment may be a big can of worms in a B Body. I am only going by a budget point. Everything I post always has to do with budget.
If you got the dough then do what you heart desires.
My plan is a cruzzer
I have all new or rebuilt stuff under it. Disc brakes .... springs .... Bushings.... Quick time power box and such. Should ride and be the cruzzer I want for trips and small parts gathering. I have a hot rod street car.... A drag car and the truck that will do the heavy lifting. But as I write this I was thinking the poly could go in my 4 door as a police intersepter copy..... Killer sleeper... lots of ideas and time and I have most of the parts to make them happen... Just no shop to work in...

Long rams do not fit well in a B body. Long crankshafts only fit cast iron TFs. I recommend stroking the poly with a newer style crankshaft to simplify the swap. If going with the Rb swap, head straight to 440 or larger. Skip on the 413, rebuild costs are equal but, the 440 is far easier to obtain parts and speed equipment for.
Mike
I do have a 400 up here....and more than 1 440 crank.... And core 413s.

Right now there are 5 sets and a few one side of it on EBay. All of them are missing a part or 2.... And some are way out there money wise.... Some folks have flat out bumped there head.

ok .... looks like another boat stopper 413.... but i got most of the long ram and a set of 915's.not sure thay are original to the 413. so i got the 440 and the 361. gona save the poly. the tal deck will be a pain but doable. (hurst used a BFH to make a LO23) the low deck looks to be easyer but will it be to low on the inner fender that will take even more BFH work??
still have the dual quad in line set up for the 361 .. so she will have dual carbs no matter what. guess we will find out ...lol

Auto Transport Service
Back