• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you outrun the cops?

us- 120 MPH

cop- 55 MPH the other way

= 175 MPH pass

we were three miles (and three exits) away in one minute, before he had even turned around.

Once. I was around 19 and leaving a bar with a friend. He jumped in his car and I was parked behind him, as we both pulled out I went around him and jumped on my old '60 Impala . We ran hard up the street, two short cross block, when I see some fool in the street waving his arms. Now back then I wore glasses, but as any teen in a bar I didn't have them on, so the COP waving me down is very fuzzy. Needless to say when I'm close enough to realize it's a cop I'm doing 60 plus and even if I wanted to stop I would have slid through the intersection. So I stay in it, and looking in the rear view mirror as I passed them, I could see they left the guy they had pulled over and now wanted me. I was a long way ahead of them when I see their headlights in my mirror so I head down a bunch of side streets with my headlights off. I came to a corner thinking I got this, but I roll the stop sign, no lights on and wouldn't you know it, there is a cop car with three cops just out for a ride I guess. They are right behind me and hit the lights and pop the siren. I pull over and they get out and it's two Captains and a Lieutenant out for a coffee run. They ask why I'm driving with no lights and rolling a stop sign. I tell them I had stopped for a beer and several guys started some **** as I left and I took of as they chased me. Then over their radio I hear the other cop, the one I almost ran down ( not even close ) say looking for white Chevy and the Captain smiles at me. As they're putting me into their car, my buddy drives by and see this. He goes to get my brother, who goes to get my fathers cousin, who is a Sergeant at a precinct nearby. They brought me to Headquarters and the angry cop picked up my license and ripped it saying you won't need this anymore asshole. When my cousin got there they all huddled and the offended cop kept shaking his head NO! .. One of the Captains pointed to me and looked at my cousin and said get him the **** out of here, and the pissed cop threw my torn license in the air. Freedom. I didn't get away completely, as my fathers cousin called my father the next day and the **** hit the fan again.

Last edited:
I like your little green smiley.
Anyone that grew up when these cars were new or slightly used, that says they haven't run or tried to run from the police never enjoyed or knew what these cars were built for. When you are young you know no fear, will try most anything, and if you owned something that would run, you tried it.
Btw, my first car was a 66 Belvedere with a poly teen in 69. It was bought new by my sister with the help of dad but it wasn't long before she bought a 65 Mudstain and gave the 66 back to dad....mainly because she didn't want to share it with him lol and I got it when I gradiated from high school but still had to pain for half of it's value. Anyways, by the end of 1970, the teen was replaced with a mild 383 and I commenced to really push some limits. One was driving from San Antonio to the east side of Pasadena Tx in just a tick over 2 hours. It was done in the middle of the night and only picked up one cop that gave up pretty quickly :D My first foray with a cop was when the car still had the teen. A quick right turn from an intersection and then duck behind a parked car did the trick. He had to make a U turn before I made the quick right and guess he didn't see it. Was only 2 blocks away from my rented house and the garage was open but not for long. After seeing him go blasting past on the other street, I went home and closed the garage door and didn't take the car out for a couple of days. Thing is, I was the only one in the city with a yellow Belvedere with a black top. Maybe he was just trying to scare me? Didn't do much except for a quick tire chirp from the intersection.....

us- 120 MPH

cop- 55 MPH the other way

= 175 MPH pass

we were three miles (and three exits) away in one minute, before he had even turned around.
Sounds like my run from San Antonio to the east side of Houston lol. A mild 383 with 2.94 gears did pretty good flat out!

yes....many times..
one time i was taking my buddy to kentucky on leave to see his mother who was in the hospital.
we were almost at the end of nc,
and i for some reason decided to take the car to speed to see what it could do.
340 auto duster real nice car all done up.
rolled for a bit got to around 120ish and let off back down to 80-90ish and was just cruising when i spotted a statie sliding into the median from the other direction.
i immediately just slowed down and pulled right over...i figured he had me.
as i do this,suddenly there are Many cops cars locking up their brakes and sliding past me sideways and all sorts of commotion.
im sitting there holding the wheel and staring out the front windshield at all this when suddenly theres a cop at my door.
he asks me why i pulled over,turns out he Was the cop sliding thru the median because i told him,i saw you and didnt want no trouble so pulled right over.
he says..son, you were clocked at 128mph
and these guys have been chasing you for 7 Miles!
i just look at him i had no idea and he could see that.
he says,do you have a license? i say yes sir and get it out and hand it to him
he pulls out a knife and CUTS it in Half......i almost have a heart attack!!
and then he says follow him to the next town...yes,drive my car behind him...
where i get locked up for " lunch " until 2 when the judge comes back.

the judge asks me what happened im honest with him and then
literally.......he says how much money do you have on you.....yeah...
i could see this coming so i turn to my friend give him the eye/dont say a thing.
i tell the judge i have like a 100 bucks and hes got the look in his eye.
that isnt enough youll have to go to jail.
my buddy jumps up tells him we have 200 bucks judge smiles calls the fine at 200 bucks.
leaving us a whopping 13 bucks to get to kentucky...

now,im pissed off,because i know we just got railroaded,nothing but a cash grab.
( in fact none of this ever went on my license i ended up telling them i lost it and got another one. )
we walk out to the car i jump in the drivers seat my buddy starts to ask if its gonna be ok and im like Get In.
i start it up drive right in front of the courthouse and lay down one of the best burnouts that duster ever did,
and take off,back on the highway and back to warp speed till kentucky.

that was my first Reality check on how " the system " really works.

I'm not going to go into any of the times I did as a result of "public acceleration contests" I may
or may not have participated in.
Suffice to say the DC/Northern VA street scene was extremely active when I was in my teens and
20's, to the point where people would trailer in full blown race cars on Friday nights at the local
digs. It got nuts...
It's also where I first learned about the Mopar advantages (unibody weight savings & strength);
up until then, I had owned a few GM products I got cheap - up to a '68 Chevelle SS 396 4 speed.
Pretty car, but some dude in a supposedly stock RoadRunner would get me by a fender every time.

It wasn't much longer after that my buddy ran me down with his "new" ride during a hookey run from
school one day to the taco joint - he had bought the '70 T/A Challenger he'd lusted after since he was
a small kid in his neighborhood!
Bought from the original owner, he had spent a whopping $2600 on it.
Sounded like serious money to us (it was!).
I attended a Mopar show or two with him and that (plus selling the Chevelle) was all it took....
I bought my first Mopar ('68 Super Bee) and never looked back. :thumbsup:

Damn, THOSE were the days...

I was a teenager doing the family vacation in the 80's in Colorado. We had a 77 Newport and were headed up Pikes peak when the master cylinder went out. Dad stuck a rag in the emergency brake so it wouldn't catch and we kept on with our vacation. We drove over the Royal Gorge and saw all the sights. Then about 2.a.m. we were going through a town and suddenly a stop light turned yellow. Dad( going about 60 ) hit the emergency brake.... locking up the rear wheels. Tires were smoking and squealing and we were not even close to the light yet. That big old boat didn't slow down any. Dad had the tires locked for probably the length of a football field as we went completely through the intersection with the light red...tires squealing. A evil knievel was sitting at the light and watched the entire thing. He just sat there...he was probably laughing to hard to come get us.. I guess he couldn't say we didn't try to stop.

Outran an out of state cop in my '67 GTX. Got back home and in the garage, but could hear him coming. Was hiding in my bathroom when I heard a knock on the door. My drunk *** neighbor flagged the cops down and told them where I lived. Spent 3 days but all charges eventually dropped. Another time, feeling no pain, outran a cop on my 900 Kawasaki. I was so far ahead of him that I decided to double back and head for the city. As I was coming down the road to get back on main route, I see something far down the road that looked funny. As I got closer, it was the cop parked diagonally across the road, and he was standing outside his car. He told me a "concerned citizen" had radioed in my location ! A couple hours in jail and a ticket for no operators license.

In my hometown, I couldn't even buy a traffic ticket. My dad was the City Manager and was the chief of police's boss. I don't think he told them to lay off, it was just a smart move on their part. I remember once in town I slid the '66 Mustang fastback sideways through an intersection right in front of a city cop. I stopped and he stopped window to window. He told me, "Don't hit any cars." My friends were pissed.

[QUOTE="SteveSS, post: 911314346, member: 13272"
I've often watched videos of superbikes outrunning the police. The cop cars don't even have a chance. If I was going to rob a bank I'd use a motorcycle.[/QUOTE]
Nice to see someone talking about and promoting illegal activity!

[QUOTE="SteveSS, post: 911314346, member: 13272"I really don't have the balls to run from a cop.[/QUOTE]
Your a very smart man, you'd either be dead or in some really deep **** with the law!

This was my lesson about trying to outrun the cops:

Back in the 70's, my brother owned an Aamco Transmission shop in Daytona Beach. He lived a few towns away and drove his Honda 750 Four Stroke to work every morning. There was a cop who always sat waiting for speeders, but he could never catch my brother on his bike, weaving through the side streets. One day the cop got fed up and set up a roadblock where he knew my brother would go. My brother went up on a lawn, around the roadblock and the cops started chasing him. They set up another few roadblocks up ahead that my brother just went around. They chased him through 4 towns, 4 different PD's. It came to an end when he was going around 100mph and the front tire blew on a curve. My brother jumped the opposite direction of the bike since he knew it would kill him if he got hit by it. He was lucky and ended up in the grass. His helmet was shattered, broke all his ribs, both collar bones, and his left arm was broken in 200 pieces ( they had to wire it together), coma for a couple of days. They didn't think he was going to live, but he did. His picture was all over the Daytona Times the next day with the story. He must have had a really good lawyer. They tried to throw the book at him but the lawyer threatened to sue all the towns and all the cops for endangering his life with an illegal pursuit. He ended up with one ticket for reckless driving.

I was a kid but I remember the whole episode very clearly. The lessons I learned were that motorcycles will **** you up if you get into an accident with one and don't try to outrun the cops, eventually they will nail you.

Can't outrun a radio.
These days, it's not the radio you have to worry about. The cops have license plate scanners now that read your plate in traffic. So even if you blow by them, you are nailed. Same with traffic cams. How do I know? My son got pulled over a few weeks ago. He wasn't speeding so was confused. Turns out his registration was expired, the cop's scanner read his plate and it popped up expired and he got pulled over. It was only a $60 ticket and the cop was cool and didn't tow him, let him drive home. But remember, Big Brother is always watching now !!!!

Way too many times to count.....usually at a 5 star wanted level, depending on the vehicle I am in, getting away is fairly easy! And if I get cornered.....between the mini-gun and rocket launcher...I can hold my own for a while.....but if I get more than one chopper firing on me.....I usually get wasted!

Oh wait?!? Are we talking real life....cause I am living the THUG LIFE in GTA 5!!!!

:rofl:

The 2020 Ford Explorer Interceptor is scary fast.

Michigan State Police testing recorded a top speed of 137 mph for the hybrid and 149 mph for the EcoBoost, with 0-60 mph taking just 7.8 seconds for the hybrid, 7.3 for the 3.3, and 5.8 for the 3.0-liter EcoBoost. Overall performance was deemed superior to even the V-8 competition from Dodge and Chevy.

On night after the 3 to 11 shift way back in 1970, im driving my dads 48 CJ2a home on the highway. I get pulled over by a cop who wants to know why I have only one light on the back of the Jeep. I explain thats the way it came from new, one taillight, no directionals. He was a nice guy and of course im respectful. I tell him my dad is a san man and I tell him we will put directionals on it asap. But all of a sudden a car passes us doing well over a hundred and the cops says hey another time and gives chase. No ticket thats to some idiot speeding, never did learn if the cop got the guy

The 2020 Ford Explorer Interceptor is scary fast.

Michigan State Police testing recorded a top speed of 137 mph for the hybrid and 149 mph for the EcoBoost, with 0-60 mph taking just 7.8 seconds for the hybrid, 7.3 for the 3.3, and 5.8 for the 3.0-liter EcoBoost. Overall performance was deemed superior to even the V-8 competition from Dodge and Chevy.
Just remember one thing now that we're all adults and maybe pass this own to the younger ones. That cop chasing someone going that fast, if that cop has a accident and is killed, if they catch the speeder its all over for him. You see them chasing you pull over and mind your manners.
I was told by a trooper he limits himself to a little over a hundred... Not that fast? Lose control and you'll find out.
In days gone bye you'd get a beating and then the tickets

Just remember one thing now that we're all adults and maybe pass this own to the younger ones.

Thanks, Steve. Where were you when I needed advice about getting through my childhood?:)

I had a 51 Cadillac hearse and was visiting friends in a small town.
So--at a burger stand while ordering I saw the local cop pull in behind me. I knew that my brake lights did not work.
I told my friend that we had to sit tight because of this. I pulled forward and parked. My friend and I walked a block or two to downtown.
As we (on foot) turned a corner I looked back and saw one of the cops peaking at me.
My friend and I went into a restaurant bar. A cop came in and sat next to us. (no conversation with the cop). Across the street was another cop lurking.

Time passed and my friend and I needed to go home. We got back to the car and were immediately followed by the cops. I knew that my brake lights were non-functional but since it was now night time using my headlight function for break lighting did not work out well. We got pulled over.

So --two cops have snared us. One remained in the cop car and the other got in my car with me/us. He directed me to drive him to the cop shop where he left his ticket book.

My car had a starting problem when it was hot. I said it would take 30 min for it to cool off to restart. He said he will wait. (I am not kidding about this).

We sat for thirty minutes and the cop in my car never went back to communicate with his buddy in the cop car or said a word to me.

It was time and I started the car and drove to the cop shop. At the shop several cops started to quiz me about dealing drugs. They asked if they could search my car. I asked if I could say no. They said yes. I said no. They said --ah ha--what do you have to hide?

This was where this saga ended with a warning to leave town and never come back.

I sware that I did not embellish this tale.--The truth is a glimpse into small-town cops and kids in the late sixties. BTW I was seventeen at that time and place.

Last edited:
The late '70's . early '80's where a different time. It was a cat and mouse game that if they didn't catch you tonight they would try again tomorrow! With me they never did catch me and even some 40 years later I have a few Sin City (Smiths Falls) town cops and Perth O.P.P. that not only remember me.. but I am friends with a few of them on Facebook.

Thanks, Steve. Where were you when I needed advice about getting through my childhood?:)

I had a 51 Cadillac hearse and was visiting friends in a small town.
So--at a burger stand while ordering I saw the local cop pull in behind me. I knew that my brake lights did not work.
I told my friend that we had to sit tight because of this. I pulled forward and parked. My friend and I walked a block or two to downtown.
As we (on foot) turned a corner I looked back and saw one of the cops peaking at me.
My friend and I went into a restaurant bar. A cop came in and sat next to us. (no conversation with the cop). Across the street was another cop lurking.

Time passed and my friend and I needed to go home. We got back to the car and were immediately followed by the cops. I knew that my brake lights were non-functional but since it was now night time using my headlight function for break lighting did not work out well. We got pulled over.

So --two cops have snared us. One remained in the cop car and the other got in my car with me. He directed me to drive him to the cop shop where he left his ticket book.

My car had a starting problem when it was hot. I said it would take 30 min for it to cool off to restart. He said he will wait. (I am not kidding about this).

We sat for thirty minutes and the cop in my car never went back to communicate with his buddy in the cop car.

It was time and I started the car and drove to the cop shop. At the shop several cops started to quiz me about dealing drugs. They asked if they could search my car. I asked if I could say no. They said yes. I said no. They said --ah ha--what do you have to hide?

This was where this saga ended with a warning to leave town and never come back.

I sware that I did not embellish this tale.--The truth is a glimpse into small-town cops and kids in the late sixties. BTW I was seventeen at that time and place.
Obvious you needed some guidance you failed to receive

Auto Transport Service
Back