• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you outrun the cops?

This is not really a speeding incident persay. But I was in Gainesville Georgia coming home in my 4 cyl 4 speed Toyota pickup I was behind a guy in a 1984ish Ranger he was doing 30 in a 55. I got sick of it and started to pass him going over a bridge. As I was passing this asshole he decides he wants to race.. Well, I have a 4 banger and no power to pull away from him So we are pretty much side by side. I look up and Im going head on towards a sheriffs car. I **** my pants hit the brakes and swerve back over into my lane. He never hit his lights but I knew he was coming. So I went up the road past the bridge and pulled over in a dirt spot on the side of the road. I got my drivers license and insurance card out and had them held out of the window.The cop pulls up behind me and gets out laughing. The first thing he said to me was. Son, I have been doing this for 30 years and never ever have I had someone pull over before I hit my blue lights. I said well, I knew I messed up. I told him I was trying to pass that Ranger and the guy decided he wasn't going to let me pass. And next thing I knew you were the first thing I saw. He did not write me a ticket he told me to keep it in my lane and have a great weekend. Very cool cop.

Have I outrun the cops? No F'in way! I would never even try.
Over the years, I've been pulled over probably a dozen times for "moving violations", mainly speeding, sometimes waaay over the limit. I just pull over immediately when I see or suspect the red and blue lights are coming. I take the honesty route, show respect that this guy's trying to do his job. Give him your paperwork.
A couple times I was given a warning - one time they liked the Road Runner - after a nice smokey burnout the Swissvale cop followed me through. I didn't see him until it was too late and pulled away hard, but pulled over.
Local Magistrate offices - Plead Not Guilty so you get a hearing. If you show up, own what you did, and ask for leniency, you'll get it. MOST importantly, no POINTS on my PA drivers license, but I end up paying a slightly reduced fine. Magistrate usually asks the cop if I gave them a hard time.
All they want is their money.

In 1980 I had just dropped off my girlfriend off at Ohare airport. I was in my 78 D150 which had a built 400. I was on 94 heading home with not much traffic at all. I figured I’d ring it out, the speedometer only went to 100. It was past that mark when traffic got heavier. I slowed down and suddenly the lights were behind me. I pulled over got out of the truck with everything I needed, went back to the unmarked Aspen. He asked me to get in the passenger seat. I looked down and saw 68 on the display. He asked me what the rush was, I told him the truth and he said you see that ( pointing to the 68 ). He said I had you at 115 before the traffic. I noticed his last name and asked if he had a daughter named Shelly? When he said he did, I told him I went to school with her since grade school. He gave me a warning ticket for 68, a taillight out and said if I hear this truck in town, I’ll give you a ticket for excessive noise. I said new mufflers are going to be ordered, shook his hand and was on my way. I actually ( I shouldn’t crow to loud ) have been given a break more times than I can remember. I did one time make an exit stage left, shut off the lights, took a quick right and waited for the lights to pass. Then went around the block and headed the other way. I think I would have gotten my *** handed to me with that one.

well I didn't outrun him,but had a good laugh! back in 1990 I was cruising home from a friends place east end of Toronto {markham}. I was in my 89iroc ragtop and I notice another camaro pull up behind a little close and seemed to be following me so I sped up a little and he stayed with me so I giver and take a few fast corners and he's still with me, so I take it up a couple notchs and he's falling back, a few miles later I slow down and he pulls up beside and flashing lights go on. I pull over and he walks up to the car. It's a cop with a big smile on his face. He says you now know we have new camaro chase cars stop racing them! have a nice night and be carefull!

I’ve never tried to outrun them, but two buddies did. One ran out of gas and got caught. The other tried running the roadblock they set for him, lost control and crashed with his pregnant wife in the car. He was ******* hardcore back then. Straightened his life out, still has the wife, daughter was born healthy.
I passed a ghost car one time in my ‘69 Mustang. I was doing 107mph according to the ticket. They got on the radio and had a road block set up for me. I pull over. Cop walks up to me and says “I’m surprised you stopped!” I respond with something along the lines of how I was just in a hurry, not robbing banks.
He was pretty cool, all things considered. Asked a lot about my car and engine. Wrote me for $135, which was a lot in 1979. Today I would have been impounded.

I was 19 in January 1981, middle of the afternoon driving my friend's 1977 350 Monte Carlo, clipping along in the passing lane, northbound on the interstate from Daytona. My friend was in reclined napping in the passenger seat and his brother was asleep in the back.

It was too late by the time I noticed a Florida Highway Patrol clean roof car approaching from the opposite direction. Our eyes locked as he slowed and started making a u-turn across the grass median with his wig wags wagging.

I quickly weighed the options. Slowly get over to the right, stop on the shoulder and wait for my ticket or take off and risk a beating and jail. I chose option B. I mashed the pedal down, waking my friend and his brother, now wondering what the frig was going on. I kept accelerating, weaving through a pack of cars, checking my mirror and watching the trooper snaking through the traffic. I raced ahead and into a second large group of traffic. I got into the front third of the second bunch and then dropped to their speed.

I could still see the wig wags getting closer as he made his way into the middle of the pack. Inexplicably the wig wags went off and he took the next off ramp.

Maybe he gave up because he thought we may have gotten off at one of the two previous exits or because when he first saw me there was only one head visible, not three. In any case, that was the first and only time I tried outrunning Johnny Law.

Daytona bike week always brought a lot of motorcycles to the Interstate. I was stationary in the median one morning and saw a group of about 15 Harley's just cruising. Less than a minute later, here comes this crotch rocket, clocked at 100 something. Pulled out, got up to speed and crested the top of an overpass just in time to see the mc slow down and get into the middle of the Harley's. Pulled up next to the guy and the Harley's behind him slowed, allowing space to get into. Got the guy stopped and told him nice try, but you kinda stood out like a sore thumb, don't ya think.

I did some really stupid things in cars when I was younger. But....my uncle was chief of homicide in Buffalo NY so if I did anything I was big time busted. We had the same last name lived on the same street. There were several times my dad got a call from his brother though. They didn't normally ticket me they did made that phone call instead.

Tried to,,,,,,,,, ONCE. Was driving a friends Superbird. ( was early 90s time frame btw )

I easily outran the car.
the radio ,,,,,not so much.
Spent a few hours in jail for that poor decision

Didn’t exactly try to outrun them - I guess evade them would be a more correct term. In 1969 they opened up a new piece of freeway south of Overland Park and there was absolutely zero traffic on it. So one night a friend with a 409 Impala (340 hp model but 4.11 rear) and I decided to see whose car was faster (my 64 383 Sport Fury). We pulled around and down a cloverleaf access and lined up just past the overpass. We each had a passenger and we were to go on his 3rd honk. About the second honk my passenger said that might be a cop behind us. I glanced in the rear view but saw nothing in the rear except blackness. Off we went and we ran pretty heads up for awhile but gradually the 409 pulled on me to where my nose was at his door and we stayed there. Then I glanced in my rear mirror and saw red gum balls way, way back there. Apparently he had been following on the on ramp.

I decided to pull up and coasted off on to the shoulder while the Impala stayed in it and kept going. I watched as the police car was coming up behind me and realized he wasn’t going to pull behind me and was going after the Impala. So stupidly, I killed the lights and he came streaking by me. I pulled around, crossed the median and drove off. I dropped my buddy off and cruised around awhile before heading home. As I cruised down my parents street, there was a police car just pulling in to our driveway. So, I just cruised on by but he spotted me and pulled me over around the corner. As he sauntered up to my window I handed him my drivers license. Apparently he caught my friend with the Impala and the first words out of his mouth were, “Boy - did you really think you could beat that 409?”, to which I replied “Well, I did my best.”. Two tickets for Contesting of Speed and I think illegal crossing of a median. Apparently he had sharp eyes to catch my plate number before I killed the lights as he screamed by. I was off to college about a week later and lost track of the guy with the Impala and never did hear his part of the story.

I should add that the cops around Overland Park KS back in the late 60s we’re really lenient with us kids - I think a lot of them were gear heads at heart and as long as you were not doing anything really crazy they let us get away with a lot or maybe just a rinky dink ticket like a muffler ticket instead of contesting speed. I was actually a backseat passenger in a friends car one night when he got too rowdy trying to pickup a car load of girls and attracted the attention of a patrol car. Next thing I knew he had turned out his lights and was fleeing through a residential neighborhood while we were punching him and screaming at him to stop and at the same time throwing our beer stash out the windows into yards.

Suddenly he turned into a driveway and slid to a stop. The two doors flew open and 4 of us exited at once in 4 different directions like a quail covey breaking cover. We got about two running steps and heard a big voice yell, “freeeze”. And we did - like statues. The cops seemed pretty calm and took the driver aside leaving the rest of pretty much alone - I swear that while they were talking to the driver some of us walked down the block to retrieve our beer. No one in the house ever came out. Never knew but one of the cops may have told us to go pick it up. And then as quickly as it all started it was over, the cops got back in the car and drove off leaving us there - not even a ticket. We were all standing there in wonder of our good fortune and one of us finally asked the driver why of all places had he stopped in this driveway? He replied it was his girlfriends parent’s house and he knew they weren’t home. I think we explained all over again to him what a numbskull he was.

Yes I have. It was 1984 and if I had heard the story i wouldn't have believed it but here it is. I was in a black 1977 Trans Am owned by a buddy. We were on the interstate passing a group of truckers and speeding a bit, 85 in a 65. A cop passed us on the other side of the interstate and turned around to come after us. The last truck in the convoy pulled out to pass and I guess run blocker so I floored it. My buddy said we were doing 130 and we hit the first exit and parked the car in the parking lot of a quick mart and got out and went in. About that time the cop came by and slowed down but didn't stop. I know it sounds like a scene from Smokey and the Bandit but I swear it really happened. Never done that again

The trucker may have thought it was Smokey and the Bandit and was just helping out. :)

I did numerous times in my younger days as kids on our BMX bikes, dirt bikes and four wheelers/ATV's. Yes, on bikes even. We could bunny hop over guard rails, put our foot on top of a fence or wall even and hoist bike over without even getting off of the bike. Cops would have to drive all the way around the block. We were gone by then. On dirt bikes and quads we would just head to the trails. It was all out of fun. We really weren't doing anything wrong. It was just fun to run.

Auto Transport Service
Back