• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers for my 523 stroker

696pack

Local time
10:29 PM
Reaction score
My 1966 Charger has power steering and 2.5" exhaust. Any suggestions on the best brand header to use/fit that is not rediculously priced like the $1000. TTis I am reading about? Do you still have to "massage" the pipes around the power steering on off the shelf headers? Do any of them offer an optional thicker flange at the head to prevent warpage/leaking?

the "ridiculously" priced tti's will probably fit the best and have the thicker flanges.

the "ridiculously" priced tti's will probably fit the best and have the thicker flanges.

According to the Summit catalog you can buy various sets (as the price goes up) with the thicker flange.

I am not looking for "probably" answers but rather real world experience in this matter. I don't want to order a set, remove the manifolds and then find out I have to bend them to fit. I can add thickness to the flange myself if necessary.

excuse my use of the word "probably". they WILL fit the best.

If you can afford a stroker you can afford good quality headers. TTI is the best for the money. Also hooker is good, just not what the TTi's are.

Can't help you too much. I replaced the headers on my Charger 3 or 4 years ago. First set rusted out, but I had them wrapped with wrap. They were over 15 years old, cheap Headmans with thin flanges but never had a leak. Did have to smash them around to fit around the steering gear.

IMG_0678.jpg

Replaced them with Hooker Competition's I got them used from my cousin. He had them on a '76 Charger with a 400, had them on for one summer, they leaked and took them off. Figured for free I could try them on my car. Drivers side flange was warped so I straightened it and put them on. Also cut the flange in two places so each tube or set of tubes could "float". I used Ultra Copper on both sides of the gaskets. No leaks. Firm believer in Ultra Copper on header gaskets.

IMG_0681.jpg

They didn't fit the best and were a bitch to install. Had to unbolt both motor mounts and raise the engine plus drop the center link on the tie rods. Other headers I've installed only the drivers side needed the motor mount to be loose, these the passenger side needed it too. I'm sure some of the fit was because they were B motor headers going on an RB.
If I was going to buy headers I would go with Doug's or Headman Elite's if you dont want to spend $600.

I have TTI 2 1/8 step on my 67 belvedere. Mine is manule steering so can't help you there. But when you get them put them up to a head, and make sure you can get a plug scoket on them. After the second set with this problem I made a jig to kink the header. I have angled plugs on the 67. My 64 has 915 heads. Like was said before 65 & 67 are not the same, but my 64 has power steering and the steering box is not an issue. Sorry I don't have the exact set up as you.

65 and 66 are different unibody. Does your car have power steering?
i know the 65 and 66 are different animals. i don't have power steering but there's a lot of room for it on the driver side. if using the 2 1/2" exhaust i'd probably (be nice about this word) go for a 1 7/8" tube 3" collector. the smaller tube will give a little more clearance and the 3" collector will transition into the exhaust pipes a little smoother. the tti's use 16ga tubes and 3/8" flanges.

of course iron heads vs raised port aftermarkets and having the correct mounts, brackets and isolaters will play into the fit.

I am going to try headman elites next time for 380 bucks from Summit racing. They have 3/8 flanges ( same as tti) and 14 gauge tubes ( thicker than tti) They are ceramic coated also. I think a few members have tried them and like them. Tried to share a link, but it didn't work. I think the part # for 66 67 is, 78038 they say power steering is not a problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back