• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers for TrickFlow Heads

EngineerDoug

Local time
4:31 PM
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a set of Trickflow heads on an RB motor in a '68 B-body. Power steering car, 500 inch stroker with a Mopar 528 cam. Street use only.

I've done some research but would like to hear if anybody here has specific experience with header fitment. There appear to be a handful of choices that will allow sparkplug access with these heads:

TTI
Doug's Headers
Patriot Headers
Others I may have overlooked?

I know the TTI are the top dog, but they are really expensive. I don't want to spend that much unless there is a compelling reason; how do you like the other choices? I notice the Doug's are available in 2" primaries only; how is spark plug access with these?

Thanks!

I've had TTI's on a couple cars, and currently diong a B stroker in a 68 RR, and will be using TTI's for that. For your application being a street car, 1 7/8 primary woulg be plenty. JMO. RUFFCUT

I've heard very good things about the Dougs headers. Ease of plug access, fitment and a quality header.

Hello,

I have a set of Trickflow heads on an RB motor in a '68 B-body. Power steering car, 500 inch stroker with a Mopar 528 cam. Street use only.

I've done some research but would like to hear if anybody here has specific experience with header fitment. There appear to be a handful of choices that will allow sparkplug access with these heads:

TTI
Doug's Headers
Patriot Headers
Others I may have overlooked?

I know the TTI are the top dog, but they are really expensive. I don't want to spend that much unless there is a compelling reason; how do you like the other choices? I notice the Doug's are available in 2" primaries only; how is spark plug access with these?

Thanks!

I wouldn't go with 2 inch headers for a street car, especially with a .528 cam. I'm pretty sure that 1 3/4 headers would work just fine for that application, might even go with a 1 3/4 shorty header for easy access if it was my car. I ran HP cast iron manifolds for years on my B body with the .528 cam and they worked just fine. You don't need race parts on that engine combo since it is designed for torque and cruising power.
https://www.ttiexhaust.com/TTi44025.htm

Andyf,

Precisely my concern; the 2" primaries just eat into plug/boot space. The motor was built for torque and streetability. So perhaps the Doug's headers are out of the running for that reason.

Thanks for your input.

The Schumacher tri-y headers would also work fine for your application but I don't think they are currently available. Schumacher has shut down and I don't think anyone has started to resell his headers. His headers were made by TTI for him so in theory all it takes is someone getting the rights to turn the production back on but I don't think that has happened. Perhaps you could find a set in a box somewhere or something like that.
https://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsType/BRB_Headers.html

Andy knows more than I could ever hope, I however do have the Doug's on my 67, ( came across a deal I couldn't afford to pass on them) but as far as fitment they are pretty good. I have RPM heads and there is plenty of room for the boots( I'm running Accel ceramics as a precaution). There's is plenty of room around my Borgenson box, the only mod I had to make was a little clearencing was on the #4 tube next to the torsion bar. Not much, about 1/4 dimple. Getting the collector pipe to pass through the cross member took some work due to the size of the collector.

Auto Transport Service
Back