• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Cross Ram Intake Install Help Needed

Right on snake24 !! .....I can imagine a simple cold start intake "burp" & watching all 8 Holley barrels flaming up like a gas range with the fuel bowls inches away from all that cast magnesium !!

I Really like your "outta the box" thought on the post settled--stabilized & individually cleaned & blue Loctite Final tightening......Gonna give that a real good think on !! Thx greatly Sir !! ......tom
Another thing you can do to help or limit the torque times is while the carbs are off each day run the bolts. When they quit moving then it will be up to heat cycles. There are also harder gaskets the are supposed to require less torque cycles.

For my 426's intended (& cammed) 3500--6500 rpm power band range emphasis,....I Thought the X-ram's tuned Runner torque Curve is significantly Better over the 180° inline street or Eldebrock's single plane dual inline Air gap pieces ?? .....If not,...can anyone suggest a better intake for that rpm range ? ......Thx,....tom

It seems to me that it took 10 or 11 re-torques over a couple of days before my bolts quit moving, initially. I’ve re-checked them since and after numerous heat cycles and they were fine that I recall. Will do them again this year in the next month or 2. Mine is the Aluminum Cross Ram with removable tops. Still working on getting rid of a somewhat nasty surge with mine.

Thx malex, ..for that helpful info & agrees with others that careful Re-torquing between 12 or so Heat--Run cycles 'till Stabilized is Key to install procedure.....Fwiw,...I hear reports of Super Performance intake gasket Designed to reduce the required settling time.... Anyways,...Thx all for sharing your valuable experienced methods in this super Critical fastener problem...

malex,.....no expert here, but on your "surging" issue,.... Maybe you could rig a vacuum pump (similar to valve job vacuum tester) to check for any all Inclusive carb block--off plates to intake valves vacuum leak test.....With all intake valves closed & carb block--off plates installed,.....Should be able to pull 25 inches steady on pump & reasonable pump off Leak up time ?? .....You never know by appearance only what That intake is doing with so Many potential Leak points !! ..... Fwiw,.....tom

For my 426's intended (& cammed) 3500--6500 rpm power band range emphasis,....I Thought the X-ram's tuned Runner torque Curve is significantly Better over the 180° inline street or Eldebrock's single plane dual inline Air gap pieces ?? .....If not,...can anyone suggest a better intake for that rpm range ? ......Thx,....tom
Ray Barton Single four intake

Yes,...That Barton single carb intake Does have oversized runners for >426 size head flow,...But Without any in-range (3500--6500 rpm) Tuned Runner ram assist,...how is this equal or better than the correct sized/cast A990 X-ram ??

Thx malex, ..for that helpful info & agrees with others that careful Re-torquing between 12 or so Heat--Run cycles 'till Stabilized is Key to install procedure.....Fwiw,...I hear reports of Super Performance intake gasket Designed to reduce the required settling time.... Anyways,...Thx all for sharing your valuable experienced methods in this super Critical fastener problem...
—-
Thanks for the info on the gasket. I think that I’ll continue to pop the plenum tops off once in a while. Sure a lot easier than lifting that intake off!
Although this wasn’t too bad at all.
F55C3E00-D9D0-4EAF-82A6-A53F6C8CDD78.jpeg

Yes,...That Barton single carb intake Does have oversized runners for >426 size head flow,...But Without any in-range (3500--6500 rpm) Tuned Runner ram assist,...how is this equal or better than the correct sized/cast A990 X-ram ??
—-
I was thoroughly impressed with my Barton intake. I did spend lots of time in it however. It sure worked like a charm with the 1250 Dominator on the dyno. Good numbers on 91 octane pump gas.

BABB6D5E-C9DA-44CA-86EB-3FFACB3089E6.jpeg

malex,.....no expert here, but on your "surging" issue,.... Maybe you could rig a vacuum pump (similar to valve job vacuum tester) to check for any all Inclusive carb block--off plates to intake valves vacuum leak test.....With all intake valves closed & carb block--off plates installed,.....Should be able to pull 25 inches steady on pump & reasonable pump off Leak up time ?? .....You never know by appearance only what That intake is doing with so Many potential Leak points !! ..... Fwiw,.....tom
—-
I believe that it’s the fuel pooling on the floor of the intake causing the surging. I’ve spent lots of time on jetting, adjusting and it’s sealed up good. I have read that guys have gotten the surge out with more advance. My distributor is locked out at 32. I’m quite optimistic that a vacuum advance distributor might fix things up for buzzing around on the street. Something to play with. The surge gets bold when idling down around 1300.

Really Fine intakes there, malex !! ...On a stock bore/stroke/head cfm size motor,...which of those carb/intake combo produces better 3500--6500 rpm dyno numbers ??

Btw,.... Couldn't miss the hoist hook on your X--ram,......You Don't Really hoist a hemi by the Intake ......do you ???

Btw,.... Couldn't miss the hoist hook on your X--ram,......You Don't Really hoist a hemi by the Intake ......do you ???
—-
I was setting the cross ram down into place when I swapped out the Barton.

Really Fine intakes there, malex !! ...On a stock bore/stroke/head cfm size motor,...which of those carb/intake combo produces better 3500--6500 rpm dyno numbers ??
—-
In my opinion I’d say the single is the way for you to go, although there’s others here with much more experience than I have. For my application the cross ram was a must for my build when it came along.

—-
I was thoroughly impressed with my Barton intake. I did spend lots of time in it however. It sure worked like a charm with the 1250 Dominator on the dyno. Good numbers on 91 octane pump gas.

View attachment 1275905
I have this same manifold with a spacer and I milled carb flange for better low rpm

I have this same manifold with a spacer and I milled carb flange for better low rpm
—-
A friend tried 4 different single 4 barrel intakes on his 572 and the Barton was the best overall. That is what steered me towards the Barton. During dyno sessions with mine we tried several spacers. My Barton loved the 1/2” reversion spacer and it came home with it. The super sucker spacer was a definite no on my Barton combo.
I’ve made a couple passes on my Wedge with the reversion spacer, didn’t pick up anything over a 4-hole 1/2” spacer on the super victor intake.

Fran,....I just noticed the Improved Spring Loaded "Nord-Lock X" Wedge Lock washers....It adds soft, Settling surfaces (like compressible gasket) application Capability ....Looks like it Directly addresses the "Lost clamp Loading" due to surface Settling problem....

Auto Transport Service
Back