• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Cross Ram Intake Install Help Needed

Just asking.....Does that Indy Intake use Resonate Tuned Runner Ram Tuned principal (like properly designed & tuned Tunnel Ram & X-ram intakes do) to produce >100 % VE torque & HP Dyno results ??

Fran,....I just noticed the Improved Spring Loaded "Nord-Lock X" Wedge Lock washers....It adds soft, Settling surfaces (like compressible gasket) application Capability ....Looks like it Directly addresses the "Lost clamp Loading" due to surface Settling problem....
I'd say it's a help after several re-torques. A gasket that doesn't compress it would be very effective. O-ringed intake ports, anyone. Do you have a link to the Spring loaded Nord-Lock X?

Just asking.....Does that Indy Intake use Resonate Tuned Runner Ram Tuned principal (like properly designed & tuned Tunnel Ram & X-ram intakes do) to produce >100 % VE torque & HP Dyno results ??
—-
Not sure about Indy intakes, so far as the Barton, I never inquired, my choice for Barton was based on results and recommendation. I also spent time inside of it. With my cross ram, lots of time was spent inside of it as well in order to not drop too much hp. I’m sure that Barton would have that info available upon request.

I'd say it's a help after several re-torques. A gasket that doesn't compress it would be very effective. O-ringed intake ports, anyone. Do you have a link to the Spring loaded Nord-Lock X?
—-
Hi Fran! No o-ring ports over here. Hope the hemi cars are safe and sound over there.

Hi Fran,.... there's the "Nord--Lock X" link you requested.....I think the new, added "integrated spring". ....lt specifically mentions gasket & surface Relaxion after original Tightening...Afik

malex,.... When you say "not to drop too much HP".....is that because your X--Ram was as cast, (as most) runner optimized for 426 stock size motor to 6500 R's & was cfm flow starving your near 550" motor ??

malex,.... When you say "not to drop too much HP".....is that because your X--Ram was as cast, (as most) runner optimized for 426 stock size motor to 6500 R's & was cfm flow starving your near 550" motor ??
—-
In my experience. Stock cross rams do not make the hp that a good single 4 barrel intake makes. They can make good power with work. When I switched from my Barton/Dominator set up to the cross ram I put work into the crossram to minimize HP loss. My Hemi is a KB alloy 572 on 91 octane.

Last edited:
Those Nord-Lock X I'd use them. But me being cautious I'd compress gasket some first. Bolt down with regular bolts to compress gasket some 3/4 re-torques. Then one at a time switch to Nord-Lock X.

Thx, Fran.....for the Nord X locking washer feedback thoughts & application technique.....It maybe of some reliability improvement....​

malex,....dang !! ...it don't get much better n a 600 inch aluminum Hemi !! ....I don't think any X--Rams were runner sized cast for anything much larger than stock 426 & are flat out Cfm Starving the Big motors like yours before any Ram Tuning effects are generated..... I'll try it on my "little" 426 & see how it responds to the 4800 stall....

Hmm....That Nord size chart is twisting my eyeballs up !! ....Sae equiv 0.25" Id x 0.50" Od fits perfect.....10mm Od. Is a bit too small..

malex,....dang !! ...it don't get much better n a 600 inch aluminum Hemi !! ....I don't think any X--Rams were runner sized cast for anything much larger than stock 426 & are flat out Cfm Starving the Big motors like yours before any Ram Tuning effects are generated..... I'll try it on my "little" 426 & see how it responds to the 4800 stall....
—-
Yes good luck with your build. Something that just came to mind and actually Snakeoil Dude touched on it. I was talking with Bob Mazzolini some time back now about the Mopar Cross Rams and he was saying that he would bring them in and sell them by the dozens back in the day. He said that the aluminum Mopar Performance Cross Ram was much better performing than the original magnesium ones, guys would swap them over and go faster. For what that’s worth, those had to be magical times. There’s lots of members here that also have first hand experience with them, hopefully they’ll chime in and share their knowledge.

Good question snake24 !! I need to get with their sales guy & get some pieces to see if anything is useable with whatever Allen-Drive Cap screws I can find.....As you say,...the std Cap screw Head seems too small od

NLX6 1/4"id .43 od and .070 height. Snakeoil I agree with your concerns. Isn't much meat under the head. Where the bolt heads seat in manifold may not be flat.

Yes,....Bob Mazzolini is who I got my bare aluminum heads from.....Seems a good guy from back in the middle of the Good days !!

—-
Yes good luck with your build. Something that just came to mind and actually Snakeoil Dude touched on it. I was talking with Bob Mazzolini some time back now about the Mopar Cross Rams and he was saying that he would bring them in and sell them by the dozens back in the day. He said that the aluminum Mopar Performance Cross Ram was much better performing than the original magnesium ones, guys would swap them over and go faster. For what that’s worth, those had to be magical times. There’s lots of members here that also have first hand experience with them, hopefully they’ll chime in and share their knowledge.
They cut the phleum chambers off port the runners and open the cross over runner and get .3ths. This was around 1970.

My intake well holes seem have real flat, machined shoulders.....A hex drive cap screw with fixed, attached flat washer would work....For that matter,.....the factory oem bolt with the attached captive loose washer,. somehow with the loose washer Brazed or epoxy fixed to bolt head would give the needed bolt underhead diameter for the lock washer serrations to bite into ??

Auto Transport Service
Back