• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Cross Ram Intake Install Help Needed

malex,...Yes in "70's the SS/A class cars doing those factory X--Ram mods only when running the new, big 0.720" Crane & Cam Dynamics roller cams & 8200 rpm shift points .....Well Outside T Hoover's '65 Race hemi designed intended 4000--6500 power range.....But, when things get wild & otta control......do what ya gotta do & cut, grind & weld magnesium !!

Ok on single 4.... & would dual 4's & Tunnel Ram be fastest ??

I've noticed !! .....Thx for the helpful suggestions......

—-
I believe that it’s the fuel pooling on the floor of the intake causing the surging. I’ve spent lots of time on jetting, adjusting and it’s sealed up good. I have read that guys have gotten the surge out with more advance. My distributor is locked out at 32. I’m quite optimistic that a vacuum advance distributor might fix things up for buzzing around on the street. Something to play with. The surge gets bold when idling down around 1300.
same thing here, surging and motor dieing off slowly at idle, max wedge crossram,,u reminded me of what i have done in the past distributor wise with adding vacuum advance.

just bought an msd 8387 with vacuum,,also bought a vacuum can that will start pulling at 4-5" of vacuum so its all in at idle using manifold vacuum, Not carb ports..stock vacuum cans r in the 15" range, no good for us guys running more than .250 @.050..

it mite be the best of both worlds, lock the dist at 36, add the hose which adds 10 degree's more on the street, at the track disconnect the hose and run it like the non vacuum msd..

Not to hi-Jack someone's thread
but while on the subject...

Just curious guys, got a wealth of knowledge here

has anyone here ?
tried the vintage "Nascar" Edelbrock RR1 Rat Roaster intake
in single 4bbl 4150/4160 (?) 1964 to (1967-ish ?)
Like Richard Petty & Cotton ran
or later a Dominator top

Engine 426ci Hemi Edelbrock RR1 Rat Roaster 4bbl 1964 Plymouth NASCAR Engine.jpg

Buddy Baker-Cotton RR1 combo
Engine 426ci Hemi Edelbrock RR1 Rat Roaster 4bbl Nascar Buddy Bakers-Cotton owens #6 (1.jpg

Engine 426ci Hemi Edelbrock RR1 Rat Roaster Nascar Buddy Bakers-Cotton owens #6.jpg

RPM Richard Petty's combo
goofy carb bowl (?)
Engine 426ci Hemi Edelbrock RR1 Rat Roaster 4bbl Nascar Petty's Engine bay.jpg

single dominator top, seen on FABO
Intake 426ci Hemi Edelbrock RR1 Rat Roaster 1x4bbl Dominator top.jpg

or a 2x4bbl inline, like Dick Landy's 1970 Charger ran
Intake 426ci Hemi Edelbrock RR1 Rat Roaster inline 2x4bbl Dick Landy's 70 Charger RT.jpg

or the popular Cross-ram (not the inline) Version on the same intake
especially with the Holley DP carbs
Intake 426ci hemi Edelbrock RR1 Cross ram & holley carbs.jpg

just curious, sort of seen this & figure, wtf

I plan tuning up the 10.6, 265° @ 108 Mech Ft 426" for short cruzing & occasional 1/4 mi runs...4.56, S/S springs, lite 6cl T bars, F-man 727, chtr slicks, 6500 revs max....

Hi Bud,...No prob man !! ....Afik,.... Petty's & the Nascar gang ran that factory "Bath tub" Ram intake (same X--Ram runner tuning) with a special Holley....Seemed to work real good then !!

If yo Holley's not sideways,...you ain't doing it rite !!

same thing here, surging and motor dieing off slowly at idle, max wedge crossram,,u reminded me of what i have done in the past distributor wise with adding vacuum advance.

just bought an msd 8387 with vacuum,,also bought a vacuum can that will start pulling at 4-5" of vacuum so its all in at idle using manifold vacuum, Not carb ports..stock vacuum cans r in the 15" range, no good for us guys running more than .250 @.050..

it mite be the best of both worlds, lock the dist at 36, add the hose which adds 10 degree's more on the street, at the track disconnect the hose and run it like the non vacuum msd..

—-
Thanks for your comments on this. I’m locked in at 32 degrees now and funny but just a short time ago I decided to increase it to 34 - 36, but not to the point of a hard start. So did your surging straighten out? Another thing I have been working at is getting the engine temperature under control. I’ve got a pretty good handle on it now but I’m sure the additional timing will help with that too. Where did you find space for a vacuum can?

—-
Thanks for your comments on this. I’m locked in at 32 degrees now and funny but just a short time ago I decided to increase it to 34 - 36, but not to the point of a hard start. So did your surging straighten out? Another thing I have been working at is getting the engine temperature under control. I’ve got a pretty good handle on it now but I’m sure the additional timing will help with that too. Where did you find space for a vacuum can?
i have done this before, my vacuum advance dist will be here next week. i run an msd 7al3 that has built in start retard. i run the 20 degree retard chip and never a problem..the Can i'm refering to is the 1 on the distributor..msd's stocker will be removed and a performance unit will be installed,,u want 1 marked B28, that will open around 4-5" of vacuum..and running more timing will make the motor run cooler, and the throttle response well :) that will speak for itself.

i have done this before, my vacuum advance dist will be here next week. i run an msd 7al3 that has built in start retard. i run the 20 degree retard chip and never a problem..the Can i'm refering to is the 1 on the distributor..msd's stocker will be removed and a performance unit will be installed,,u want 1 marked B28, that will open around 4-5" of vacuum..and running more timing will make the motor run cooler, and the throttle response well :) that will speak for itself.
—-
This is great info that I’ll be working with. Getting rid of my idle surge and dropping a bit more coolant temp would be a double win. A good start will be to find out where to tap into the crossram to see what kind of manifold vacuum I’m working with. My 770’s have no vacuum connections but I run 1” spacers that I could tap into. My solid roller is approx 275 @ .050, will be interesting to see the inches of vacuum. Thanks Stage 3!

—-
This is great info that I’ll be working with. Getting rid of my idle surge and dropping a bit more coolant temp would be a double win. A good start will be to find out where to tap into the crossram to see what kind of manifold vacuum I’m working with. My 770’s have no vacuum connections but I run 1” spacers that I could tap into. My solid roller is approx 275 @ .050, will be interesting to see the inches of vacuum. Thanks Stage 3!
was tuning on mine today waiting on the vacuum advance msd,,measured the vacuum off the intake PCV port,,5.5 in nuetral, 4.5 in gear,,,,272-276 @.050.locked timing at 36 ? if i crank the dristributor up advance wise , it likes it alot !

was tuning on mine today waiting on the vacuum advance msd,,measured the vacuum off the intake PCV port,,5.5 in nuetral, 4.5 in gear,,,,272-276 @.050.locked timing at 36 ? if i crank the dristributor up advance wise , it likes it alot !
—-
What RPM are you idling at? And will 4.5 be enough to pull your advance in? I won’t be getting at the Hemi none to soon. I’m showing it all this weekend and soon my race schedule starts up, 13 race days this year for the Max Wedge. I have to see where your PCV port is located on your X ram. Thanks!

I guess the factory had good design reasons & intentions, ...but the Smooth & free to Rotate washers (easiest to turn & back out during gasket settling) seem to be the worst possible type compared to any split or serrated type washer.....I mean,...why Encourage the bolt loosening (& resulting bolt suck down disaster) during the gasket settling interval engine run time with that type loose washer design ??

—-
What RPM are you idling at? And will 4.5 be enough to pull your advance in? I won’t be getting at the Hemi none to soon. I’m showing it all this weekend and soon my race schedule starts up, 13 race days this year for the Max Wedge. I have to see where your PCV port is located on your X ram. Thanks!
not trying to hijack the OP's post FYI, just answering a question thanks.
its idling now at 1400, timing is erratic with this msd unit locked out, the rotor will still move appx 1/4". added 1/8" turn advance to the distributor, did not timing lite it, and it really made a differance, still No kickback on the starter with the 20 degree start retard chip installed.. with the 10 degree's that the vacuum advance will add it will be fine as long as it doesnt start pinging. with a 5" vacuum can it will start to pull just fine. vacuum port is right next to the throttle cable mount.
IMG_0885.JPG
IMG_0886.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back