• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holy $h@# header & mini starter not working out. 2nd pair of headers tried.

spcedwards214

Local time
3:42 PM
Reaction score
I'm seriously lost and ready to give up on this build. Got a build 440 higher 70's rb block going into a 66 charger. I've tried two different sets of headers and I'm still confused for every reason, first set of headers were center collectors and hit the gearbox, this set of headers (hedman's) fit but touch the starter and gearbox slightly and i'm thinking about pulling them out and denting the problem areas, but even then I doubt I will be able to get a heat shield in there to keep the starter from heat soaking. Either way nothing is bolt on ready and is becoming a pain in the tookas. Can someone tell me why would headers made for a 440 touch a mini starter on a 440? It doesn't make sense to me. Is there something I can buy that will def bolt up correctly and not touch anything like it is suppose too? Or do I need start cutting, modifying, and customizing everything for this stupid car from here on out. lol Ready to pull it all back out and sell the car and put in something less complicated that's easy to find parts for. This one's been tough. Needs ideas, help, and sensible answers. image1.jpgimage2.jpg

I had the same problem - I have hooker competition headers and a Summit mini. Wouldn't fit. I took out the mini and sent it back to Summit as that was where I bought the headers as well so they took it back. I then bought a little different configuration mini from 440 Source. It was just the right size and both the headers and mini coexist quite nicely. I have a 440 as well. It would be tight to get a heat shield in but I could probably do it.

I've been using mopar mini's, without issue on my hemi setups.

what headers and starter did you go with if you can remember getx'd? and are the mini's and headers any different on the hemi's or are you just rubbing it in? lol This is the most frustrating things ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a good comparison between dougs headers (left) and hedman headers (right). I'm thinking those extras bends on the number 1 tube is what helps steer clear of the starter but I could be wrong. Big difference in prices though. Hedmans are 200 and Dougs are 700... Ouch.header comparison.jpg

what headers and starter did you go with if you can remember getx'd? and are the mini's and headers any different on the hemi's or are you just rubbing it in? lol This is the most frustrating things ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a good comparison between dougs headers (left) and hedman headers (right). I'm thinking those extras bends on the number 1 tube is what helps steer clear of the starter but I could be wrong. Big difference in prices though. Hedmans are 200 and Dougs are 700... Ouch.View attachment 265054
I can't remember what part number from Summit on the Hooker Competition headers. Just that they fit a 68 GTX. There should only be one set of Hookers that does. The mini was part # 123-1000 from 440 Source. It's the only mini they sell - and they sell a lot of them. They're made to order for their company so it's kind of a generic brand but worth the $119.00 they charge for them from both a fit and performance standpoint. I think the mini was they key more so than the headers. Good luck.

I have Hedman Elites on a 440 with a mini starter... the pipe is close, but I still have more than adequate clearance. Myself I would call Hedman first, and see what they have to say about it.

do you have the part number?

- - - Updated - - -

Just spoke with summit about everything and they think that using a clockable mini would be best. That and slightly modifying the trouble area tube if the problem still persists after the new mini install. Might consider trying that but until then gotta take it back apart. :( :( :( Give's me a chance to ad my ground wire to the starter bolt for a better ground anyways.

Years ago my buddy had to take a sledge to the Hedman problem areas, but sorry I can't recall which brand of mini starter he had.

It's ok summit recommended a powermaster clockable starter of course it's 300 dollars but if I can turn it to get some clearance so be it. Still going to take the header off and give it a spanking just to see, i already own them now, they won't take them back since I've had them over 6 months. Let's commence the beating. Will update later. Few days perhaps

I use a Powermaster Torque starter # PWM 9613 from Summit. I have it on my 66 Belvedere, 383 with Hooker Super Comps. No problems at all.

As noted above - I would call 440 Source and get their mini. It's high torque, smaller and 1/3 the price of Summits. I think you'll have a Better and easier fit.

I believe Hedmans come with a warning that you can't run a mini starter, at least that was my understanding when I had mine, even if you get them to fit it'd be a major PITA to change later on. And it'd be a cold day in hell that I would pay $300 for a starter lol.

Doug's and an oem junkyard mini-starter off I think it was a 2010 dodge truck, on the 440 in my '69. Fits awesome

10644844_719436448127224_5757188250823394877_n (2).jpg

mini starter from a 94 Dakota from auto parts store is what I'm running

Yep 93 318 starter(autozone) is what I have in my Bee 440w/hooker comps works great. Did the same with my 72 charger with a cheap set of headers also

I still would look at the starter from Summit. Part # PWM 9613. ($185). It's a mini-starter and the gear reduction / ratio is 4.4 to 1. Not the older version of ~~ 16 to 1. Therefore, it does not grind with the usual ... raar, raar, raar sound from old. When I hit the button on my engine, this bitch cranks it up in a heartbeat.

why pay close to $200 for the same starter you can get at any parts store for less than 1/4 of the price and still have a lifetime warranty? Makes no sense to me unless you got money to throw away

Thanks guys think I'm gonna dent the hedmans and if not go with schumachers but I'm sure these will work for now since i have the rest of the exhaust mocked up for these headers right now. Bench tested the starter and works fine. I'll get the clearance I need one way or another but for now its getting the power that starter needs to crank her up. Running a new 2 gauge power wire this weekend and hopefully bolting the rest of it up to see what happens.

Careful with that Hurst shifter cable near those headers!!! I don't want to tell you how many of those I've melted. Now I use a heat sleeve!

Auto Transport Service
Back