• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much paint do I need?

Curt Chambers

Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm headed to the paint store tomorrow and had a question for those who have done complete paint jobs on their car. How much sprayable (mixed and reduced) material will I need for a complete repaint on a 73 Charger? Color is A5 Dark Silver Metallic. Paint brand will be Nason if that makes a difference. I'll be doing the engine bay, jambs, inside panels, etc. Everything but the interior. Vehicle is currently in gray primer.

Thanks

Curt

Just a bit more then enough !
But not to much!

Seriously I don't know these are big cars I'd like to know also !
I'd guess at 2 gal

Depends on coverage and coats. Your jobber should have a tone chart for recommended sealer color. Typically 3 coats from there but every color is different. Usually a 1 - 1 1/2 gal not reduced paint is enough but with a silver based metallic I would go to the high side. 2 gal of clear, in reduced. I'm also not familiar with Nason formulas. Not sure what the reducer ratio is.

while your there , grab a tech sheet on application of the product.. .. mixing procedure., spraying , also if you should use a sealer for better coverage.. info is good to have...

I used 1 gallon and 1 quart to paint every square inch of my Coronet (well except the roof) with some left over for touchups.

Sorry to be blunt but Nason is **** paint. It runs like water, takes 4 or more coats to cover and loses it's shine in a few years. It is CHEAP for a reason. You will need a LOT more Nason to cover a car than the following brands:
PPG.
OMNI.
Shopline.
Sikkens.

Good point Kern Dog. I used Southern Polyurethane (good paint) and it covered the orange in 2 coats.

Thanks for the replies. I know how to paint a car and am familiar with the variables affecting coverage. Just wanted to get some feedback on how much paint others have used with similar projects.

Omni & Shop line are PPGs lower cost paints, nothing wrong with Omni or for that matter shop line. I like ppg paints, But do not mix a silver in Omni AU , Use the {Omni plus} if you wish to save a few bucks.
Kern makes a good point on coverage and transparent bases.
Silver over a grey sealer will cover good if using a decent paint. You can stripe / streak silver pretty easy if you do not have much painting experience. you have to have the gun adjusted right and have a steady application plus watch the overlap.
:thumbsup:
I have not used Nason so cant speak to its coverage or lack of.
A base that covers well ........... Jim is pretty close with the gal and qt for a total in and out plus inside the trunk, bottom of hood and trunk lid both sides of doors ect with ppg products that will give you 2 1/2 gal to work with. 3 coats on everything plus a little left if you have a striped hood that needs the 4th

Also I Know on cheaper paints and the high dollar stuff silver will show the under color so hopefully cars in Gray primer and not red or? I am not ramifami with the brand but I will say you get what you pay for! There's a brand called matrix paint systems (something like that) it's cheaper then most but I've had good results from there product. Not sure if there available we're you are!

Thanks for the replies. I know how to paint a car and am familiar with the variables affecting coverage. Just wanted to get some feedback on how much paint others have used with similar projects.
Well, apparently you forgot to mention the type of spray guy you intend to use. A siphon type will take more paint since the overspray will be far more than when using an HVLP system.
I wouldn't use Nason paint even if it were free....unless this was a car I was selling. Even then I'd expect to sand out multiple runs if I tried to paint like I usually do with PPG or Shopline products.

When I sent mine to paint I provided my painter with 1 gallon summit single stage metalic and 1 gallon of high solid clear. I got back about 1 pint of the color and 1 quart of clear.

A clear over a single stage metallic? Really?? You do know that single stage paint is not usually covered with a clearcoat, right?

A clear over a single stage metallic? Really?? You do know that single stage paint is not usually covered with a clearcoat, right?

True for non-metallic but the summit system specifies clear over top of their single stage metallic paints. You cant buff single stage metallic so you have to have a clear on top to buff.

I agree about not sanding the metallics....I've just never heard of anyone stating TO spray a clear over it. I've asked my paint supplier and they are always so vague, saying stuff like...It isn't recommended.

Just because you don’t have to clear SS doesn’t mean you cannot or should not. It clearly states in the TDS from PPG that you can clear concept.

I just finished the boat in my avatar and it’s PPG concept with 2021 clear. I did this because it’s a two tone job and I wanted to bury the edges.

Also, if you’re running the paint, it’s not the paints fault. It’s because you don’t know what you’re doing.

To the OP. I’d say 1.5 to 2 gallons sprayable material, give or take as has already been said.

Also, if you’re running the paint, it’s not the paints fault. It’s because you don’t know what you’re doing.
I've read enough of your bullshit to know your type.
Nason is ****. It is the Harbor Freight of paint. If the OP wants to waste time spraying water thin paint, that is up to him. Yeah, it can be done but regardless, the product sucks ***. You can make faster passes, allow more flash time but....Why modify your technique to accommodate an inferior product?
I can "build" a house with a rock for a hammer but it is a shitty tool. Why stack the deck against yourself when better quality products are readily available?

Auto Transport Service
Back