• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Withdraw Large Amounts of Your Own Money (Cash) From Your Bank Account

I was telling my son, 40 years ago if you were making a small purchase, (beer, cigarettes) and you handed someone a twenty they would get all pissy pants.

40 years ago, a twenty would last me all week and today, a twenty will barely buy a very cheap lunch.

I wire money, deposit money and withdraw money, all the time. Bank of America is the worst and the last one I closed my account with. It's all about tracking, I don't do tracking well. Who was tracking Wells Fargo when they were opening up accounts that people didn't even open, to make a buck. They haven't even totally figured out have to bank pot dispensaries funds, legal, illegal, give me a break.

I now only use one institute and that's a Credit Union. I asked them when I opened my account and had that money WIRED to them, if there would be a problem with me taking out as much as I put in, he looked at my checking account and said, a day or so notice would be nice. They know me and I have no problems taking ANY amount out at one time and always in twenties. They have NEVER asked me what I was going to do with it or filled out any paperwork. I will say, I have no need for large amounts of money in cash anymore. What's the definition of a large amount of money, when you can put several hundred dollars worth of groceries in your glove box. I do business by wire or my credit card, cash is a drag on my wallet and makes my *** sore. They can follow me around all day, I don't care. If they were really going to get me, follow my trail, I'm an open book. I have never changed my habits in the past and if they follow me they would see that. Wait till they start withholding taxes at a garage sale and make you report it. I'm glad I'm old.................. old dog, new tricks.

My bank doesn't keep many large denomination bills on hand. They only need a couple of days notice.

Who knows what the bank rules or the fed reserve rules are.

Who knows what the bank rules or the fed reserve rules are.
That was my earlier point on this topic.
The enforcement burden has been of late shifted to the banks, under the vague guise, the banks "must know the customer", and to protect their butts, we get selective enforcement and reporting.
Banks are under no obligation that they need to inform a customer they are or have filed a suspicious transaction report on the customer. I believe in most cases unless the banks are lazy or inept, they would lean towards filing a report which gets them off the hook, but unfortunately gunk's up the system with a multitude of benign reports, obscuring the real target.
I'm sure AI can sort out the bad guys. :lol:

I wire money, deposit money and withdraw money, all the time. Bank of America is the worst and the last one I closed my account with. It's all about tracking, I don't do tracking well. Who was tracking Wells Fargo when they were opening up accounts that people didn't even open, to make a buck. They haven't even totally figured out have to bank pot dispensaries funds, legal, illegal, give me a break.

I now only use one institute and that's a Credit Union. I asked them when I opened my account and had that money WIRED to them, if there would be a problem with me taking out as much as I put in, he looked at my checking account and said, a day or so notice would be nice. They know me and I have no problems taking ANY amount out at one time and always in twenties. They have NEVER asked me what I was going to do with it or filled out any paperwork. I will say, I have no need for large amounts of money in cash anymore. What's the definition of a large amount of money, when you can put several hundred dollars worth of groceries in your glove box. I do business by wire or my credit card, cash is a drag on my wallet and makes my *** sore. They can follow me around all day, I don't care. If they were really going to get me, follow my trail, I'm an open book. I have never changed my habits in the past and if they follow me they would see that. Wait till they start withholding taxes at a garage sale and make you report it. I'm glad I'm old.................. old dog, new tricks.
Which is it?

Bank of America is absolutely horrendous. I’ve had estate lawyers and numerous others voice this opinion as well as my wife’s personal experience. If you bank with them, get your money out as soon as you can. Run Forest, run - from them as fast as you can.

On the other hand I’ve had great cooperation and service from my credit union.

My Credit union just counts out the hundos.
I don’t wanna start any crap, but find a credit union downtown. There are some classes of people that still use cash. Be like them.

I just came back from my credit union having taken out 5 grand in cash. The (new) teller simply asked me for my license to verify who I am.

Cash payments give deals that writing a check or putting it on the doesn't offer, especially when dealing with a contractor working at your home. Most people here know that, but younger people don't. Venmo or paypal is their idea of spending cash, which of course is not the same.

For the last two weeks I have been trying to get $20K in cash of my own money out of my checking to pay for a car. After waiting several days for the Electronic transfer from my investment account to clear I went to the bank to make a cash withdraw. I was told I had to make an appointment because the amount was so large. When I asked how long I would have to wait for the appointment, the teller tried to call her boss, but she wasn't answering. I left because I had to try to cancel all the reservations I had made on the trailer, hotel, and insurance. I decided to make the trip to look at the car. Next day the seller and I agreed on a price and I gave him a deposit. The guy was super cool after I explained why I showed up without all the cash.

A day later I returned to the bank and asked for the appointment so I can get MY money in cash from MY checking. Now the bank Manager says I have to get an approval and that I needed proof (Bill of Sale) to show I was using the cash to buy a car. I told them I didn't need to tell them why I wanted the cash and I had no intention of getting them a BOS. Now I'm waiting for a call from the bank Manager to tell me when I can get my money, but it might be Monday.

For those of you that deal a lot with cash, have you ever had to go through such BS to get you money from your bank? Are there any institutions that will allow you to cash out a Cashiers check?
I didn't read all the posts in this thread so if this has been addressed, I apologize.
Tge fed put restrictions in place to prevent(bullcrap) drug dealers and criminals from moving large amounts of cash around freely. There is an irs or fed reserve form that needs to be filled out when 10k or more in cash is withdrawn. There are several ways to skirt this bs. First is to get a cashier's check in the amount you are needing. Next, and my favorite, is to take 9k out 2 days in a row and 2k on the third day and you have your 20k and no forms to fill out. Raising a stink at the bank will do nothing but draw attention to yourself and your account. Best to stay low and off the radar. Just my $.02 worth. Not that I would EVER do anything that would go against the powers that be.

Bank of America is absolutely horrendous. I’ve had estate lawyers and numerous others voice this opinion as well as my wife’s personal experience. If you bank with them, get your money out as soon as you can. Run Forest, run - from them as fast as you can.

On the other hand I’ve had great cooperation and service from my credit union.

My Credit union just counts out the hundos.
I don’t wanna start any crap, but find a credit union downtown. There are some classes of people that still use cash. Be like them.

One common theme here is that large banks suck to deal with, while credit unions are quite the opposite.

One common theme here is that large banks suck to deal with, while credit unions are quite the opposite.
1715436314251.png

I have withdrawn $10k-$20k for car purchases several times. Sometimes the cash is on hand and sometimes not. A phone call lets you know and gives the bank a heads up. They ALWAYS ask what the money is for. Even, the cute little 20 year olds. It's their job. I just give them the make and model of the last car I bought. If anyone is keeping notes and I'm ever investigated (highly unlikey), at least I'll own, or have owned, what I said I was buying. I regularly withdraw $3k-$5k to keep in my safe for cash purchases. They rarely ask me about these but if they do I'll say 'gas' or 'food' or 'a lawn mower'. The last car I bought for $18,500, I already had $10k in the safe and went to get the other $8,500, and I asked for large bills only as I was travelling. The teller asked me, 'wouldn't you rather have a cashier's check?' I told him, 'It doesn't matter. The SELLER wants cash so the seller will get CASH.' End of conversation.

I also sold a car for $18.5k to a guy that lived in a small town. He was told by his bank that it would take 3 days to get the cash. I told him I would only take cash or a cashier's check if I was there with him when he got it. I met him at the local branch of his bank and he got a cashier's check in my presence. If the money wasn't going into my bank I would have asked for cash and coordinated with the bank ahead of time.

The ONLY legit reason not to give you cash money is if they don't have it on hand. I have gone to multiple branches of my bank to get what I need.

I didn't read all the posts in this thread so if this has been addressed, I apologize.
Tge fed put restrictions in place to prevent(bullcrap) drug dealers and criminals from moving large amounts of cash around freely. There is an irs or fed reserve form that needs to be filled out when 10k or more in cash is withdrawn. There are several ways to skirt this bs. First is to get a cashier's check in the amount you are needing. Next, and my favorite, is to take 9k out 2 days in a row and 2k on the third day and you have your 20k and no forms to fill out. Raising a stink at the bank will do nothing but draw attention to yourself and your account. Best to stay low and off the radar. Just my $.02 worth. Not that I would EVER do anything that would go against the powers that be.
When I bought Baby Blue in 2013, my bank manager specifically told me to submit two $9000 cash requests so he wouldn't have to fill out paperwork. Three years later, when I was preparing to buy the next car, the kid at the counter gave me a hard time. I ended up paying for it with a personal check, seller sent me the title when it cleared, then I flew out and drove it home.

Which is it?
Both, I don't run the show, I just run around in it. Life changes everyday and I just roll with it. I do just fine in my little part of the world. If I say anymore, I'd be called arrogant.

A couple weeks ago, I withdrew 5 grand from my credit union with no issues whatsoever. and seeing that a hundred is the new twenty, withdrawing 5 grand is just not a lot of money these days. I know people who are paranoid about carrying a couple hundred in their wallet, but down at Carlisle, 5 grand is just walking around money.
The guy who tried to buy my GTX last summer was packing over $100K.

Auto Transport Service
Back