• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I STILL don't believe it!

miller

Local time
6:54 AM
Reaction score
Early yesterday, day was turning into 'a bad day at black rock'. My youngest son has been living with us for a couple weeks now. Him and his wife, kinda up in the air, not sure if their gonna stay together. Have two kids, great, and are here off and on.

Time to cut the acre of grass, wants to help, gets the front done, off to the 'ditch' along the FM road. Riding mover...uses a cable to engage the blades. The dang cable end breaks, second time in a year. Drives the mower out of the ditch, up to my truck, and shuts it off. Can't do anything with it 'til Monday. Okay, fire it back up, to put it away...nope! Turn the key...nothing...I mean nothing. Battery is good. What the hell? No tellin'. Have to push it into the shop.

BEER time, later add whiskey to the mix. Son had to go do some things.
Late that afternoon, out to the garage, where I keep the beer...needed another. Son has his pickup backed up towards the garage, with a trailer hooked up, and the 'load' already unloaded.
A brand new zero turn riding mower! Huh, and wow.
Tells me, he and his wife split the cost, and bought that thing for me. Unreal!

First off, your son wanted to help while he's living with you. Most kids today would be lazy and mooch! Secondly, for him (and his wife) to be that responsible and buy you a mower, bring it home and surpise you with it, says that you and your wife did an excellent job raising him (Great job)!.... And for your daughter-in-law to split the cost tells me there's hope for their marriage!

Will be praying for you and your family... Great story!... Thanks for sharing.

He's a good son, obviously a product of his upbringing. His wife sounds like she is a good person as well. I dont know, maybe offer to take the kids for a weekend and tell the son and daughter in law take a long weekend, go someplace, relax, talk, try and work it out.

We gave Dad a riding mower on his 75th birthday. I just couldn't stand watching him push that old mower around any longer, and he would NOT let anyone else mow his lawn. He cried. You are a lucky Dad.

I really think that is awesome! I wish the best for your son and daughter in law

If your Son and his wife can afford to do that for you, your not charging them with enough rent! Good on him and his wife!

Early yesterday, day was turning into 'a bad day at black rock'. My youngest son has been living with us for a couple weeks now. Him and his wife, kinda up in the air, not sure if their gonna stay together. Have two kids, great, and are here off and on.

Time to cut the acre of grass, wants to help, gets the front done, off to the 'ditch' along the FM road. Riding mover...uses a cable to engage the blades. The dang cable end breaks, second time in a year. Drives the mower out of the ditch, up to my truck, and shuts it off. Can't do anything with it 'til Monday. Okay, fire it back up, to put it away...nope! Turn the key...nothing...I mean nothing. Battery is good. What the hell? No tellin'. Have to push it into the shop.

Late that afternoon, out to the garage, where I keep the beer...needed another. Son has his pickup backed up towards the garage, with a trailer hooked up, and the 'load' already unloaded.
good move by your kid & daughter in law

shows respect & gratitude :thumbsup:

bad day turned good :drinks:

You created a Great family environment, you offered help, they showed appreciation.
Worth everything when we can depend on each other

your not charging them with enough rent!
Hard times come way too easy. Been there, done that. Charging him rent? It's only my son, living with us. Even so, even if it was the whole family...would still be no rent.

A handful of years ago, we loaned him some money, to start a business. Didn't work out, and when he could, paid back part of it. Told him not to worry about the rest. We help all three sons, when we need to, and can. He told me, that was part of why it didn't bother him, and his wife, one bit buying that mower. Just know, I was flat shocked!

I'm surely blessed, with all three sons. Was not a nice guy, when they were young, always figured they hated me, in their own ways. All three are great sons, and I'm damned proud of all three.
Youngest son's name is Gary, an electrician by trade, running his own business, with one helper. Doing fine, smart, top notch, and has a great reputation. A father couldn't ask for more.

Yep, still hoping about them, getting things worked out. Typical stuff these days, is probably most of it. And the two kids, who are great, kept in mind.

Really appreciate all the kind comments!!! Thanks! Couldn't keep that one in.

I don't see a split with them, if they can talk and agree on splitting the cost of buying you a new mower.

Auto Transport Service
Back