• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've Had It With FAST EZ EFI

Following this thread with great interest; just picked a "new" (2 - 4 hours run time) FAST EZ EFI system for a beyond ridiculously cheap price from someone who needed "more" for a 550+ HP motor; throttle body, harness, ECU, manual, everything....I eventually want to install it on a 440, so hopefully these issues will get ironed out.

What coil are you using? I had a problem with a 2012 ram 1500 5.7 hemi that drove me insane for days. It had a problem with the tire pressure monitor system. Driving down the road it would constantly ding and give a message in the display to service tpms. After multiple times of going over the wiring and back and forth with technical assistance, my case finally got escalated to a higher up in engineering which gets you an actual phone conversation. Turns out, they had had a few instances where emi from faulty ignition coils wreaked havoc on the tpms system. The sensors in the tires communicate wireless and the receiver module did not like the emi at all. The kicker is it fired the plugs fine. No misfire. Just a thought, but maybe the msd aystem itself or the coil are the problem. Can you try a different ignition system?

Thanks for the idea. I have a new MSD oil filled blaster 2 coil. I do have an old coil I could try as well, so maybe if ECU and MSD changes don't work, I can try that as well. Can't hurt, especially since it is easy to swap out.

One of the things I did that turned out to not be the greatest decision was to mount my MSD box up under the dash. It's great to hide it, but getting to it is about impossible. I had figured that I could pull it out of the glove box, but the new A/C box is bigger than I thought, so getting it out that way is not possible - I need about another quarter inch to do it. All that meant that with time running out, I bought another MSD 6A unit, so the new one will be a different unit. I just don't have the time now to rip the dash apart. Eventually, I will sell one of them, but for now, I will have two. This DOES mean that I will be able to test with a completely separate unit.

- - - Updated - - -

We're all pulling for you to make that voyage and I think you will, good luck Hawk!

Many of you have sent messages like this. Trust me, it is really appreciated, especially when I am a bit down, stressed, angry, etc. Thank You to all for the positive vibes!

- - - Updated - - -

Any update from the Techo guys yet Hawk?? :thinker:

Well, I contacted Rich Nedbal for help. He was very nice, and responded quickly, but when he heard it was the FAST EZ EFI, he said there is not much he can do. If it was an XFI, he could help build the tables, but he can't help with the noise issues of the EZ system. Basically said the same thing: need to get rid of outside noise sources.

- - - Updated - - -

Following this thread with great interest; just picked a "new" (2 - 4 hours run time) FAST EZ EFI system for a beyond ridiculously cheap price from someone who needed "more" for a 550+ HP motor; throttle body, harness, ECU, manual, everything....I eventually want to install it on a 440, so hopefully these issues will get ironed out.

Awesome! Is it a 1.0 or 2.0 system? Either way, let this thread be a lesson - keep all FAST wiring in the next county compared to any other wiring!!!

- - - Updated - - -

What else on car has electric noise. Fuel pump, Electric cooling Fans. Radio

No electric fan, and radio usually receives rather than generates too much noise. Either way, radio has been off the whole time. I do have an electric fuel pump of course to run the FI. It is mounted in the fuel tank, so it is far away physically from any EFI wiring. If the location of THAT is too close, then I REALLY have problems!

Seriously, you have great thoughts: Major noise makers are MSD box, coil, spark plug wires and alternator. I guess ANY electric motor can be electrically noisy, but not sure any others really should qualify.

My kit is the earlier version (pre-2.0) The ECU was manufactured 09/21/2012 and the throttle body is definitely NOT the one that comes with the 2.0 kit; it has the red runners on it.

This may sound stupid. Is there anything around the car that could cause interference. Like electrical items in garage. Computers or Magnetic interference

Spark plugs also cause noise if you do not have the correct ones.. Gauges if you are running other than stock, fan on the car.. You might try going backwards and eliminate voltage to everything but fuel pump and ignition circuit and see if that helps... Alternator disconnected and all sources power disconnected, hook up just the fuel pump and to test wires you can run a wire around the outside of the car and then only apply voltage to coil and distributor... Again run outside your wire harness.. Best results by avoiding the current wiring all together... It should not take to long to just run bypasses to everything PITA though... Start the car with just the battery remember you will not have any lights etc... Go around the block and see if it starts learning.. You have eliminated all the wires in the car this way so if the wring is the issue you bypassed it.... If it still does not learn, its the ECU or MSD box...

My kit is the earlier version (pre-2.0) The ECU was manufactured 09/21/2012 and the throttle body is definitely NOT the one that comes with the 2.0 kit; it has the red runners on it.
I have no idea if that has the same noise sensitivity as mine obviously does, but just be sure to be very careful when wiring it up.

This may sound stupid. Is there anything around the car that could cause interference. Like electrical items in garage. Computers or Magnetic interference
No stupid questions - that's called brainstorming and that's often the way things can get figured out. So the odd thing is that my ECU never seems to record errors at idle, it is always while driving. This has been to different places and different routes, so I don't think it is any external influence.

Spark plugs also cause noise if you do not have the correct ones.. Gauges if you are running other than stock, fan on the car.. You might try going backwards and eliminate voltage to everything but fuel pump and ignition circuit and see if that helps... Alternator disconnected and all sources power disconnected, hook up just the fuel pump and to test wires you can run a wire around the outside of the car and then only apply voltage to coil and distributor... Again run outside your wire harness.. Best results by avoiding the current wiring all together... It should not take to long to just run bypasses to everything PITA though... Start the car with just the battery remember you will not have any lights etc... Go around the block and see if it starts learning.. You have eliminated all the wires in the car this way so if the wring is the issue you bypassed it.... If it still does not learn, its the ECU or MSD box...
Thanks for the thoughts. I have verified my spark plugs and wires, they are resistor type. All my gauges are stock except the ammeter has been converted to a voltmeter. I did try running the car with the alternator disconnected and I still had the issue. I suppose I could remove many off the fuses and disconnect most circuits except, as you say, the ones that power the key systems that run the car. I like that idea and I will add that to my diagnostics if the MSD box move and ECU change does not work.

I am really hoping that the new ECU solves the problem. I am almost afraid to get hopeful though...

Magnetic interference from pickup coil inside Distributor

I hope not - it is designed and sold by FAST to work with their system...

Update for tonight:
The parts came in tonight, and I mounted the MSD box in the engine compartment temporarily just ahead of the battery. This keeps all of the electrical noise in the engine compartment while the computer stuff is mostly under the dash. I also installed the MSD noise suppressor as well.

Result: Still have error counts.

So my great final hope is the new ECU. It is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, and I will replace it and see what happens. If this doesn't work, that game is all over...

HAWK, thanks for venting for me
I will never purchase anything from COMP or FAST ever again, I'm in the customer service business and Fast is the worst aftermarket company for automotive parts I ever purchased part's from. I will tell you how bad they are all the good people at FAST has left them and went on to better company's. Their marketing of the FAST EZ 2.0 is very misleading and was told that from a FAST tech person also but could not do anything about it, he just stated"" they are working on it "" no where in instructions or internet does it state system will not work with low vacuum, running BBC thumper cam .565-550 lift on a 107 and they tell me that is a race engine???., FAST answer to me was just change the cam**, I wish I had read all the BAD replies on the internet before purchasing it, I would have saved $3000.00

So my great final hope is the new ECU. It is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, and I will replace it and see what happens. If this doesn't work, that game is all over...

I'm betting it's the ECU and you'll be up and running this weekend.

HAWK, thanks for venting for me
I will never purchase anything from COMP or FAST ever again, I'm in the customer service business and Fast is the worst aftermarket company for automotive parts I ever purchased part's from. I will tell you how bad they are all the good people at FAST has left them and went on to better company's. Their marketing of the FAST EZ 2.0 is very misleading and was told that from a FAST tech person also but could not do anything about it, he just stated"" they are working on it "" no where in instructions or internet does it state system will not work with low vacuum, running BBC thumper cam .565-550 lift on a 107 and they tell me that is a race engine???., FAST answer to me was just change the cam**, I wish I had read all the BAD replies on the internet before purchasing it, I would have saved $3000.00

I will agree that their tech support is piss poor. I have called several times, and the gist I get from them is pretty much just that they want me off the phone - they don't seem to really care if they are helpful. What I am really steamed about is NONE of them at any time asked me about when my ECU was manufactured or offered that it might not have the noise board installed. I had to find that based on reading tons of internet comments, and even then, they brushed it off. I had to completely fly off the handle to even get them to take any action and get my replacement ECU sent out. I am not sure what I will do if the ECU does not work tonight...

I'm betting it's the ECU and you'll be up and running this weekend.

I just received my replacement ECU today. I hope you are right and I'll gladly pay my debt of a beer or so if it does work! I should know by the end of tonight...

I Googled FAST EZ problems and came up with a list of articles and posts on the noise suppression issues many hobbyists were having with the 2.0. Apparently the 1.0 doesn't seem to have nearly the same number of issues (I bought the 1.0; I'm keeping it but my confidence is shaken). One poster wrote that the FAST tech told him to mount the MSD module as far away from the ECU as possible. That would have been a nice piece of information to include in the instructions.
Hope the new ECU works out.

I'm dying to know if the new ecu fixed it. It seems that you've been very thorough can't imagine what else it could be.

Finally: SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE TRIP IS ON!!!!!!

Finally! :blob1:

So it's late, I have to get to work early tomorrow, and I have had a few celebratory beers, so I will keep this short.

Bottom line is it was the ECU. I replaced the ECU and instantly it started the learning mode. After driving around about 5 miles or so and seeing it learning, I then abandoned my new MSD box and went back to essentially ALL of my initial stock wiring and MSD box location.

Guess what? It is still learning and seemingly working OK. So it seems that the new ECU with the noise suppression circuit was what made the difference. Now I don't want to go all dark and pissed off (which I have been for the last couple of weeks), but the *&^%$#@! techs at FAST are on my **** list. They get coal for Christmas. I will say again that I feel their tech support is piss poor. I had to push for the new ECU. I had to tell them about the noise suppression circuit that was added to THEIR product mid year last year. I spent tons of time tearing apart my beautifully done wiring and dash area to chase ghosts because those idiots were useless.

But complaining will get me nowhere. Now I need to get going and get the final punch list done and get ready for the trip.

THANK YOU to everyone for all your suggestions, moral support, private messages, etc. I TRULY APPRECIATE IT!

I can rest easy tonight.. Sorry you had to go through all of this!

Auto Transport Service
Back