• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've Had It With FAST EZ EFI

Hawk, I've been following this thread (dad is putting efi on his '66 Satellite 383) and Fast was one of the systems we were looking at, now not so much. Also following your build thread, and first off I'd like to say I'm impressed! Great documentation and very detailed. Anyway, with all the time you've invested, money spent trying to resolve an issue that was a Fast tech problem I'd strongly suggest sending them a link to this thread. Maybe it'll light a fire under someone's @$$ if they see these issues in the "real world" and that we talk to others about these problems and someone will either get fired, or pull their head out of a dark hole....... Jim

I'm having a beer in celebration of your major accomplishment! Are you going to become a distributor for them? Sounds like you know more about their system than they
do! Good luck, and have lotsa fun!!!! Let us know how the trip goes.

Hawk, I've been following this thread (dad is putting efi on his '66 Satellite 383) and Fast was one of the systems we were looking at, now not so much. Also following your build thread, and first off I'd like to say I'm impressed! Great documentation and very detailed. Anyway, with all the time you've invested, money spent trying to resolve an issue that was a Fast tech problem I'd strongly suggest sending them a link to this thread. Maybe it'll light a fire under someone's @$$ if they see these issues in the "real world" and that we talk to others about these problems and someone will either get fired, or pull their head out of a dark hole....... Jim

Thanks for following along the thread! I hope it has been of some help for you to get ideas. I have a few more updates to go, but as you might imagine, I am REALLY busy with final preparations.

I feel bad bashing any company - no one wins when that happens. My system now seems to be working really well, and I am very happy with the performance of the car. But their tech support is just bad, in my opinion. I DID feed back to them my concerns, actually to two different techs, but I felt like they shrugged their shoulders and went on their way...

I'm having a beer in celebration of your major accomplishment! Are you going to become a distributor for them? Sounds like you know more about their system than they
do! Good luck, and have lotsa fun!!!! Let us know how the trip goes.

LOL, I am not sure I know more than they do, but I maybe can become a car detective in another life to "discover" obscure facts about car systems!

I run an Edelbrock EStreet EFI system and called the tech line over different issues. They seemed helpful but I have one nagging recurring issue that they haven't solved yet.

I was at The Nats and saw an Edelbrock tent. I talked to a guy there about the issue and he gave me the name and number to the head guy in the engineering dept for the EStreet EFI. This guy is supposedly the brains behind the system. So....if you want to jump the tech line at FAST, keep your eye out for a rep from FAST and get the number for someone who knows.

Hey Hawk,
I don't know how I didn't find this thread last year when I was having so many problems with my EZ EFI 2.0. I too went through a lot of phone calls with their tech-support and felt like I shouldn't have purchased their product!

Luckily my car is up and running now too after replacing the ECU.

I sure hope your trip went well last summer. Keep the shiny side up!

Hey Hawk,
I don't know how I didn't find this thread last year when I was having so many problems with my EZ EFI 2.0. I too went through a lot of phone calls with their tech-support and felt like I shouldn't have purchased their product!

Luckily my car is up and running now too after replacing the ECU.

I sure hope your trip went well last summer. Keep the shiny side up!

Thanks for the post, and sorry you had problems too. Sounds like your experience was like mine - once you got the right ECU the system worked fine.

My trip was awesome; truly the trip of a lifetime. If you want to check it out, I posted on-line while we did it. http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/hawks-cross-country-70-road-runner-trip.97639/

Cheers,

Hawk

Don't know if someone else has mentioned it but you can try a clamp on ferrite...they are a couple of bucks. We used them on our analog signal lines in the plants when running next to/in high voltage equipment...it stablized the sign wave and cancelled the induced spikes... Good luck

HSORMAN can you show some pictures how you ran the harness thru the firewall thx

HSORMAN can you show some pictures how you ran the harness thru the firewall thx
Hi,

This isn't an easy or quick answer, but the best place to get lots of pictures is on my restoration thread. See page 23 starting post 449. Here is the link to page 23:
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/hawk-rod-the-restoration.65096/page-23

FAST wants you to cut a big *** hole through your firewall, but that didn't make sense to me. I wanted to put my ECU inside the car, so I needed to pass the wiring through the firewall that needed to connect with components in the engine compartment.
  • My major wire loom from ECU to throttle body was passed through a notch in my steering column plate.
  • ECU power passed through a stock hole near my master cylinder.
  • Wires to my temp sender, coil, distributor, etc. passed through a stock hole in my firewall behind my voltage regulator.
  • Wires for my A/C control and O2 sensor passed through a hole for the A/C that was added on the passenger side of the firewall.
All these pictures are in my build thread, so if you cruise through it you should be able to make out most details. If you have additional questions, just ask...

Good luck,

Hawk

Just wanted to add some notes from an engine manufacturers play book on ecm noise. We require our customers to ground the ecm to the block so that the ecm sees the same ground reference as the sensors. Also to eliminate noise take the alternator straight back to the battery and add a ground strap from the alt mount to negative battery post. Ideally the ecm power should come straight from battery positive to avoide other influence. Good luck!

Hi,

I have not been here on a regular basis, but I wanted to add a little bit of information in case somebody does a search.

I worked on a FAST EZ-EF1 1.0 with a friend of mine. He doesn't have a Mopar, in this case it was a 1954 Mercury sedan with a GM/Chevy crate 350/TH350. It took us a day or so to get it installed. It ran OK, but we had a problem with the idle speed jumping around. Originally, it was set up with the GM HEI system, and we were picking up the rpm signal from the coil, through the little cube like noise filter supplied with the EZ-EFI system. I tried a bunch of things to reduce EMI (noise). Nothing worked. Car drove really fine, but the unstable idle remained. He eventually ended up going with an MSD 6A spark box, and we took the tach signal from it, vs. the coil. Problem solved, idles steady as rock right now, and has for over a year.

Just wanted to add some notes from an engine manufacturers play book on ecm noise. We require our customers to ground the ecm to the block so that the ecm sees the same ground reference as the sensors. Also to eliminate noise take the alternator straight back to the battery and add a ground strap from the alt mount to negative battery post. Ideally the ecm power should come straight from battery positive to avoide other influence. Good luck!

Thanks for this. The only thing on my setup that is different is FAST wants the ECU ground to go straight to the battery ground, not engine ground...

My dad put a FAST 1.0 on his 440/505 and it took forever for it to learn. It would ping something fierce if ya got on it, (Ca. gas) the fuel pump supplied in the master kit could not keep up so he bought a new tank and I went to town cutting it open, installed a sump for a walbro gs392 pump and upgraded the return line. Now the car runs perfect. After all that screwing around I got the Holley Terminator set up for my 383 and though I have not driven it, I was able to break in the engine with it and it will go on my 400/512 when I get to building that engine.

Auto Transport Service
Back