• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've Had It With FAST EZ EFI

Dang it Hawk! I don't know Jack about that system but you have my sympathies. I have been frustratingly let down by my build many times, missing several MAJOR events over computer crap issues.
Sure is getting to be fun though now we have some solutions and you will experience this exhilaration as well. Hang in there Bro and hopefully I will see you in October on the left coast!

Dang it Hawk! I don't know Jack about that system but you have my sympathies. I have been frustratingly let down by my build many times, missing several MAJOR events over computer crap issues.
Sure is getting to be fun though now we have some solutions and you will experience this exhilaration as well. Hang in there Bro and hopefully I will see you in October on the left coast!

Like anything, the additional complexity brings additional issues when it does not work. What I am disappointed about is that I have been VERY conscientious when I installed every wiring system in my car. To the best that I can determine through MULTIPLE re-reads and checks of the manual, I have installed it exactly per the instructions. If I hadn't, then fine, I deserve the issues. But I have, and getting under the dash now is NOT easy. Of course, time is now the issue as well - I'm running out of it at least for my drive goal.........

- - - Updated - - -

Contat Rich,he is a member here, @FASTMANEFI

http://www.fastmanefi.com/

Thank you. I have contacted him.

I would completely disconnect the alternator and if you have an old one put it in for testing. Alternators can be the single largest noise producer in the engine compartment. Hook up a battery charger with alternator removed from the engine compartment. If you have any loose wires that are not attached to anything make sure they are grounded. Lastly I would not give the option to not send in the ECU and send that it in as soon as possible and ask for a replacement since it is not working. Ask to get a newer model version with noise suppression... Then begin testing if it works with no alternator, then try an old alternator, make sure any wire not used is grounded...

I know you've been thorough , but I might just toss out the thought that you can never have too many grounds. battery to body and block , block to body , and I even use stand alone grounds to the ecu and VR. I would check and clean every ground at every light to body harness, the dash frame and dash harness

I know you've been thorough , but I might just toss out the thought that you can never have too many grounds. battery to body and block , block to body , and I even use stand alone grounds to the ecu and VR. I would check and clean every ground at every light to body harness, the dash frame and dash harness
this is very true; especially of a re-painted vehicle.

i can't add a constructive comment here but it's my belief that these dinosaurs can only be brought up to "modern" standards to a point. after that just let them be what they are. if you think about aftermarket throttle body efi's you need to think about throttle body efi being obsolete in modern vehicles for decades. one also needs to think about the complexities that auto makers have to go thru just to make an efi work well with just one engine combo; least wise trying to make a "one size fits all" unit for everybody.

if it were me i wouldn't cancel my trip because of this. just take it off, get a carb (you have time to tune it) and move on. personally, i don't like msd's. i don't think the reliability factor is what people think it is, capacitive discharge adds nothing to reliability, and from experience that the coil stand offs can be a can of worms. i'd dump it too, put a mopar electronic on it (something easy to get parts on the road), and enjoy the trip! best of luck!

First some feedback on the alternator testing. I brought the car up to temperature since the computer only learns when it is warmed up (coolant temp has to be over 140 F). At that point, I removed the alternator belt and went for a drive powered only by the battery.

Results: Still no learning by the computer and I still had an IRM count. The IRM count MAY have been less than before, although it is hard to tell because I do not know what conditions cause the error counts. My drives vary due to traffic and some slightly different routes, so it is hard to tell if they really did go down. As an example, I have never seen the IRM count go up due to the car sitting idling - it is always while driving. I may try to do two separate drives (at least with identical routes) and do one drive with the engine at high RPM the whole time and the other with the engine always at low RPM. Maybe this can give me a clue...

This is a great thought. I say this myself to so many people. Grounds are very overlooked and are really important. With the restoration, I did very carefully address every ground when I installed the wires, for example either sanding down the paint and/or using toothed washers to ensure a good ground. I did need to clean up my tail lights, but all other circuits seemed to work right off the bat. I do have a large ground strap between the engine and body, and toothed washers to help ensure a good ground with the dash. I don't have a separate ground to my voltage regulator, so I could always throw an extra one on just to be sure.
Having said the above, I shouldn't be so sure. I really should measure the resistance to ground at some of the major areas of the car and see what I get. This is a prudent thing to do...

this is very true; especially of a re-painted vehicle.

i can't add a constructive comment here but it's my belief that these dinosaurs can only be brought up to "modern" standards to a point. after that just let them be what they are. if you think about aftermarket throttle body efi's you need to think about throttle body efi being obsolete in modern vehicles for decades. one also needs to think about the complexities that auto makers have to go thru just to make an efi work well with just one engine combo; least wise trying to make a "one size fits all" unit for everybody.

if it were me i wouldn't cancel my trip because of this. just take it off, get a carb (you have time to tune it) and move on. personally, i don't like msd's. i don't think the reliability factor is what people think it is, capacitive discharge adds nothing to reliability, and from experience that the coil stand offs can be a can of worms. i'd dump it too, put a mopar electronic on it (something easy to get parts on the road), and enjoy the trip! best of luck!

I agree the "one size fits all" might be hard. If the learning part of the ECU was having trouble adapting itself to my car then I would understand that better. In this case, it is never even entering its learning mode due to noise sensitivities. This system is expensive, and made and sold for the purpose that I have installed it, and I have followed ALL of their installation instructions, plus taken other steps beyond that to try and isolate the noise. Obviously, I haven't found the issue, but if this the ECU is that sensitive, then I question if it viable to do the job at all. Electrical noise exists in many situations, and there are any number of ways to address it, mostly by various filters. These should have been built into the ECU to make it viable to work, in my opinion.

Putting a carb back on this car isn't so easy. Beyond the fact that I have no interest in throwing out an over $3000 investment, this FAST system was built in with the car very carefully, and pulling it out will require the entire windshield, dash and other areas to come apart. Then I would need to re-modify my harness for the Chrysler electronic ignition. Can it be done? Sure, but I want to figure this out...

Hawk

When I did the wiring on mine I made a copper plate (1/4" thick) with several tapped holes and mounted it under the dash then ran a grounding strap from the block to it so all grounds had a super clean location for grounding. Can't remember if your battery is in the trunk or not but if so I'd run a ground to the block as well. Sorry I can't help much, hope you get it soon.

Hey Hawk, bummer to see your struggles with the FAST system. I feel for you man, like it was said before, get to the top tech's and engineers not just the phone tech.

It just piss's me off sometimes that I know more about what I am trying to get help with than the guy that is trying to help me... sound familiar? MF'ers!

Maybe an electronics nerd in your area with an oscilloscope can help you?

A remote thought that came to mind was plug wire reliability. Have you ohm tested each of your wires? I have the red MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor and was struggling with a slight ignition miss on my car. I ohm checked each wire, and sure enough, one of the wires had a bad termination connection. Probably not your problem but an easy check to rule out.
http://www.msdignition.com/page.aspx?id=3302

Best of luck to you sir, and with your perseverance I can see you posting problem solved soon.

Sorry to hear about all the trouble! Sounds like something that would only happen to me. I don't know where they're headquartered, but I'd put it on a trailer and bring the car to them and let them
look at it. A fresh set of eyes sometimes makes a world of difference. Do they have any local distributors that can help? Glad you're getting the word out to us because NONE of us will be buying
these systems without any support from the manufacturer. Good luck with the troubleshooting, and hope you are able to take the trip!

Damn this is not what I want to read, but great feedback for anyone wanting to try this..

Update and Path Forward

OK, so I will keep updating people with what happens to (hopefully) resolve my EFI issues. By the way, let me clearly state that if I find out that I have been an idiot, I will clearly take accountability for that. I really have no interest in bashing any company here on the forum. As a matter of fact, it is in my best interests that they stay in business and support their products for a long time so I will have long term support for my car.

ECU:
So I called FAST tech support this morning. While I tried to keep things calm and professional, I finally completely lost it and went off on the tech guy. Perhaps not my finest moment, but it actually seemed to have a positive effect.

Without trying to capture the entire conversation, it again came back to that it must be my wiring that is at fault. I then asked about the noise suppression board they are adding and I was basically told that shouldn't be it, because that has been added for about a year. I then stated my ECU was built Feb 2014, so I asked then if it did NOT have the noise suppression circuitry. The tech seemed to have no idea if it did or not. I offered to provide date serial number, etc. but he still couldn't answer that. (Really? You would think they would have an implementation date and/or serial number and know when they started adding this circuitry. And by the way, this certainly seems to corroborate that they knew they had an issue and put in changes to address it.) He said my ECU could be checked, just send it in and a few weeks later they could let me know. <Deleted expletives and Hawk rant> He agreed to send me out an ECU today, and I will swap out that ECU with mine and see if it addresses the issue. I had to provide my credit card number so if I don't send one back I will be charged. OK. That's fair.

So basically for the ECU, I will be swapping my unknown unit (likely without noise suppression circuitry) with one that has it and see what result that brings.

MSD Box:
So while my MSD box meets FAST requirements for 2 feet away, it IS under the dash along with the ECU. Obviously, if this ECU is that sensitive I figured I should just not have the MSD box hidden under the dash. Hidden doesn't do jack s__t for me if the car doesn't run well. So I will instead mount the MSD box in the engine compartment. I don't like it there because I think it is an eye sore, but it is what it is. This should further help me keep the noisy stuff away from the ECU.

Finally, MSD actually makes a noise suppressor for their ignition boxes. It's not cheap at around $50, but I ordered that too.

So the bottom line is here is my path forward: Since the MSD parts will arrive tomorrow, I will move that to the engine compartment tomorrow night and try again. When the ECU comes in later in the week (don't know what day), I will swap that out as well. If any (or all of these combined) fix the issue, then the trip is still on. If, after all this, I STILL don't have a well running car, I will have no choice but to postpone or cancel my drive across country.

I'm trying guys, I really am..............

I have been following your build Hawk, I am sorry to hear about your issues with the FAST system. Hopefully the new unit and noise suppressors will solve your issues and allow you to make you trip as planned. Good luck, you deserve positive results after all of your hard work!

You have the patience of a Saint. I'd have lost it long ago. Stay at it, the rest of us are rooting for you ! I appreciate the updates, as we all may be there someday.

Wow Hawk, sorry to hear all this. From what you have said I would bet it's the fast ecu, hopefully the new one will perform flawlessly. Got my fingers crossed for you.

Positive vibes to you brother. This week you gain ground with the new parts.

What coil are you using? I had a problem with a 2012 ram 1500 5.7 hemi that drove me insane for days. It had a problem with the tire pressure monitor system. Driving down the road it would constantly ding and give a message in the display to service tpms. After multiple times of going over the wiring and back and forth with technical assistance, my case finally got escalated to a higher up in engineering which gets you an actual phone conversation. Turns out, they had had a few instances where emi from faulty ignition coils wreaked havoc on the tpms system. The sensors in the tires communicate wireless and the receiver module did not like the emi at all. The kicker is it fired the plugs fine. No misfire. Just a thought, but maybe the msd aystem itself or the coil are the problem. Can you try a different ignition system?

I am pulling for you Hawk!!!
That trip is similar to one I have on my own Bucket list, I want to see you make the trip!

We're all pulling for you to make that voyage and I think you will, good luck Hawk!

I am pulling for you Hawk!!!
That trip is similar to one I have on my own Bucket list, I want to see you make the trip!

X2 - I saw your car and it's awesome ! Your build shows that you leave no detail untouched - I have a really good feeling that you're going to come out on top of this "detour" . . .

I'm pulling for you too ! ! I sure hope that the trip still happens ! !

Auto Transport Service
Back