• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just leaked: United Airlines training video

People overbooking? Maybe i dont know but from what im reading the airlines are allowed by law to overbook and they do this to have the maximum amount of passengers they can squeeze into that plane. I have no idea how if your over 6 foot and 200 pounds anyone can sit comfortably in those seats for more than a couple of hours. Yes the guy should have gotten off the plane and then fought it. No United should not have kicked him off to make room for four crew members. The crew were a five hour car ride from there designation, rent a car and drive. I change my mind, i hope that doctor sues the **** out of United, they deserve it.

They should never had let anyone on that plane to begin with knowing that it was overbooked. With all of the flights I've taken, they always throw out the overbooking offers BEFORE the plane is boarded. If they let everyone take their seats and then came on the plane to offer passengers some dough, that's United's fault.

The system is not "deregulated". It is simply regulated in a different fashion.
For a real eye opener, look up who is responsible for "deregulation" and who implemented it.
You will be surprised.
Alfred Kahn is the father of deregulation (1975) and is responsible for all the chaos in the airline industry as well as the demise of many good airlines.

People overbooking? Maybe i dont know but from what im reading the airlines are allowed by law to overbook and they do this to have the maximum amount of passengers they can squeeze into that plane.
Correct, and they have to keep the seats full in order to compete, thanks to Alfred Kahn and his airline deregulation.

I have no idea how if your over 6 foot and 200 pounds anyone can sit comfortably in those seats for more than a couple of hours.
No argument there, but again, you can thank good ole Al for that.

No United should not have kicked him off to make room for four crew members. The crew were a five hour car ride from there designation, rent a car and drive.
It is done all the time, but usually they simply block seats in advance. This was most likely a last minute unscheduled thing.

I change my mind, i hope that doctor sues the **** out of United, they deserve it.
Your wish is granted. He spent 3 days in the hospital (for a bloody lip :rolleyes:) and is now suing UAL and ORD. He obviously sees deep pockets and knows how to play the system.

Last edited:
They should never had let anyone on that plane to begin with knowing that it was overbooked. With all of the flights I've taken, they always throw out the overbooking offers BEFORE the plane is boarded. If they let everyone take their seats and then came on the plane to offer passengers some dough, that's United's fault.
All they had to do was play "Let's Make A Deal" and up the ante. Someone would have taken it. The problem is that the use of common sense is prohibited.

Last edited:
All they had to do was play "Let's Make A Deal" and up the ante. Someone would have taken it. The problem is that the use of common sense is prohibited.

That is true. I heard that the money they offered was not even up to the legal limit that they are allowed to offer. But the point of it is that people were already in their seats with coats off and baggage stowed and there is a sense of comfort knowing that you are on your way back home

He the doctor is not playing the system. Screw the system. I would have gotten off the plane as if anybody puts there hands on me or my family all bets are off. Then im arrested and have to spend big money on a lawyer. Its a no win situation. How would you or anybody like to be already in your seat on your way home, bought and paid for your ticket and then told get off? The next flight was not till the next afternoon and being its only five hours what do you do? Dont defend theses airlines to me they know what there doing and cover there bases and when you buy your ticket its in the very small print they reserve the right to kick you off your flight. Its all about money, there money not yours. They covered there ***'s all the way around.

Alfred Kahn is the father of deregulation (1975) and is responsible for all the chaos in the airline industry as well as the demise of many good airlines.

Agree with the chaos and demise.
But I don't think Alfred Kahn had any power to implement anything.
Though it may have been his idea.
I was going in a different direction but put the brakes on.
Let's not go there.
Cheers/

I'd say that passenger was either a sovereign citizen or a Hillary supporter ...maybe both

Who the hell walks around KNOWING this information? Where was it posted? I suppose using your logic, you know all of the ins-and-outs of your home mortgage, your rental car agreement, the warranty on your toaster and the side effects of every pill that you have ever taken?
Read the fin print on your ticket.

My problem is that I can remember when flying on a commercial airliner was actually a pleasurable experience. It wasn't roomy but the seats were comfortable enough for my 6' 200 lb. frame even in coach. The flight crews were friendly and helpful and you didn't get charged for a pillow or a blanket. It wasn't unusual to be sitting next to an empty seat.
As I've said on other threads, flying now is like riding a Greyhound bus in the sky except with less legroom. A big part of the problem is that most people get online and buy the cheapest tickets they can find without any other considerations. The airlines have responded to this by cramming as many passengers as they can into each flight and overbooking to avoid empty seats and stay competitive. I can't really fault the airlines for responding to what they see as the customers demand for the cheapest possible flight. I hate flying commercial now for many reasons and I avoid it if at all possible, but sometimes I have no choice, so I just have to buck up and go.

I not sure. This doesn't sound like it was straight forward question of the flight being overbooked.
That happens all the time for simple business reasons.
And it is handled in an orderly fashion.
This sounds like a normal "full" flight.
So I think we might be being distracted with that by the media.
As I under stand it, a flight crew needed to get somewhere so that an untold number of other people would not be inconvieanced.
Airlines don't have spare planes and flight crews just sitting around.
For whatever reason (an equipment change, a mechanical, weather delays) this could very well have been a last minute need.
That's a detail I don't know about.
But I do know that planes need to leave on time or there is a domino effect throughout their systems.
So, let's assume this flight crew was a last minute need.
Normally people are offered compensation to get off the plane.
If no volunteers, other criteria are looked at to determine who has to be deplaned.
Such as what they paid to get on in the first place among other things.
But it's impractical to ask what "personal" issues each person has.
Who needs to "get to work" maybe?

Now Richard, I have to ask.
Granted running an airline is not like any other industry exactly.
But how should this be handled? Is there a cap on what should be offered?
Would it be unlimited until someone gets off the plane?
Do we run the airlines like a no reserve Ebay listing?
What business person wants to run his business like that?

Now Richard, I have to ask.
Granted running an airline is not like any other industry exactly.
But how should this be handled? Is there a cap on what should be offered?
Would it be unlimited until someone gets off the plane?
Do we run the airlines like a no reserve Ebay listing?
What business person wants to run his business like that?

From what I understand, regulations allow the airlines to offer up to $1,200.00 and they offered "only" $800.00, and if that's true, they still had a window of opportunity to make it worth someone's while on that full flight.

From what I understand, regulations allow the airlines to offer up to $1,200.00 and they offered "only" $800.00, and if that's true, they still had a window of opportunity to make it worth someone's while on that full flight.

Here's what COULD have happened.
"Ladies and gentlemen, please exit the plane. We are expecting a 30 minute delay so please stay in the gate area."
Then they don't board this fellow and three others.
I guarantee that no one else would miss him, even care.
In fact instead of sympathy people would probably be pissed.
Maybe even at him. Who knows the details?
But all the drama would have been avoided.
Cheers.

My problem is that I can remember when flying on a commercial airliner was actually a pleasurable experience. It wasn't roomy but the seats were comfortable enough for my 6' 200 lb. frame even in coach. The flight crews were friendly and helpful and you didn't get charged for a pillow or a blanket. It wasn't unusual to be sitting next to an empty seat.
As I've said on other threads, flying now is like riding a Greyhound bus in the sky except with less legroom. A big part of the problem is that most people get online and buy the cheapest tickets they can find without any other considerations. The airlines have responded to this by cramming as many passengers as they can into each flight and overbooking to avoid empty seats and stay competitive. I can't really fault the airlines for responding to what they see as the customers demand for the cheapest possible flight. I hate flying commercial now for many reasons and I avoid it if at all possible, but sometimes I have no choice, so I just have to buck up and go.
You hit the nail right on the head, but what you are seeing is a product of deregulation. People thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. The old adage holds true, be careful what you ask for.

I too remember those days and I too avoid flying .................................and I fly for free.

Actually, I think the limit is $1350, but they could have even sweetened the pie with other perks on top of it. It all could have been avoided with a little common sense.

image1.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back