• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Left lane slugs

From the thread title, you're referring to NYC drivers. Keep right, except to pass. Unfortunately, NY drivers are too stupid to realize basic highway driving. So Florida, like NJ, has these dummies clogging up the passing lane.

Last edited:
I sympathize and and agree with you.
I was a contract worker in Texas and
resided in New Mexico. I turned every
holiday weekend into four days so I
could make the long trip home.
450 hp doesn't like being held back.
There are stretches of I-10 that show
absolutely no forms of life, you can
see miles down the road, an the speed
limit is 80 mph.
I frequently wound up behind two
"slugs" doin' way below the posted
speed limit, and no amount of light
flashing, or polite taps on the horn
would get either of them to speed
up allowing me to pass and haul ***.

I love the ones with the "I'm going the speed limit, that should be fast enough for you, too" attitude.

I'm sorry - do you have a badge and a ticket book I don't know about? No? THEN MOVE THE *&#^$ OVER!!! It isn't YOUR job to decide how fast *I* drive!

"If you're driving, and nobody is in front of you, but one person is riding your ***...they are the problem.
If you're driving, and nobody is in front of you, but there is a line of people stacked up behind you...YOU are the problem."

The worst ones are the "Left lane control freaks" that speed up as you try to pass them creating a very dangerous situation. I can't understand what is broken in these kind of people. They'll tell you that they are driving that way to be safe but somehow don't mind causing a three car wreck ( One of those cars being them). I figure their lives are probably in total chaos and they will try to get control anywhere they can. I'm most likely overthinking it but i've had a lot of extra time to think about it being stuck behind them.

Nope.

I typically drive between 3 and 9 miles over depending on situational awareness.

I stay in the left lane if my speed is faster than the middle lane (or right lane if only 2).

If I see someone coming up fast, I move over when I can. Only about 10% of the time do I get blocked from that and the "passer" has to ease up.

That law will cause a ridiculous amount of unnecessary lane shifting and a can of worms over enforcement of when someone is "passing".

IE- how many cars am I allowed to pass at one time?

There are certain areas where I stay in the middle lane because I don't wish to go 15-20 over.

I get "boxed" WAY more often driving there, preventing me from passing in the left lane.

if there's a lot more lane changing, that will get worse.

I don't see it causing any "more lane changing". If you're passing traffic, you can be in the left lane. If you're NOT passing anyone? MOVE RIGHT. Pretty simple.

2 lanes, 2 speeds. 3 lanes, 3 speeds. If you're going the same speed as the other guy...GET IN THEIR LANE.

Left lane camping is illegal in AZ but that doesn't fix stupid or the I'm privileged attitude. Signs don't work either.

Kinda my point.

Not really enforceable to stop the "problem" but can make life more difficult for those of us who aren't the problem.

Left lane camping is against the law here too. Semi's can be the worst. Most of the big company rigs are limited to 65 mph give or take 1 or 2. It might take a few miles or more to complete a pass. 3 lanes would be a bonus here.

FL has designated and clearly posted areas of "No Trucks Left Lane".

Sometimes posted as "No Trucks Left Lane - Next 25 miles".

There is no law regarding "cruising" in the left lane in Canada. The speed limit is 100 kph (60 mph) but most will drive around 120 kph (72 mph) and unless you're driving recklessly you generally will not be pulled over at that speed. HOWEVER, if traffic is moving at 120 and someone is in the left lane doing the speed limit and holding up traffic they can be pulled over and charged with obstructing traffic. It would be a rare occurence but its possible.

I cruise the left lane. But if someone behind me Is going faster. I move over to the right lane and let them by . They can have the speeding ticket. $$$. and on two occasions this has happened. LOL!

FL has designated and clearly posted areas of "No Trucks Left Lane".

Sometimes posted as "No Trucks Left Lane - Next 25 miles".
That would help

I cruise the left lane. But if someone behind me Is going faster. I move over to the right lane and let them by . They can have the speeding ticket. $$$. and on two occasions this has happened. LOL!
Makes me laugh to see them pulled over in a few miles. :lol:

Here in Illinois that may be illegal, I am not sure.
Not that it really matters. From what I observe, the police have given up trying to enforce any traffic laws around here anyway.
And those that try to run if the police do try to pull them over, succeed, because for the most part police officers have been ordered not to engage in high speed chases.
The classic Ted Nugent song applies to area roadways, "It's a Free for All".

It happens here a lot on the Turn Pike where 2 semi's will be going side by side for miles... It's frustrating but they are 12 times heavier than me so not something to F with...

They're trying to legislate common sense, IE trying to "fix stupid".

The problem is that most folks except "stupid" already get it.

"Stupid" still will not get it if the law is enacted.

However, it could be another cash cow for the government if they decided that me "passing" 35 cars in the left lane is now illegal.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back