• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lookie what $5000 buys you....

The seller is almost as excited to see something happen with the car as I am. He keeps touting the rarity of the 383, the bench seat, the FK5 color....
Yeah, a bench seat Charger is rare but I doubt anyone gets all wiggly about it. The 383 is not a bad engine but this isn't an R/T model. FK5 burnt Orange looks nice and is a one year only color so that is nice.
I don't know if this is one that I would keep long term. I see it as a builder that I may straighten out and get running, then sell. I may do the bodywork and paint, I'm not sure. I often go 'round and 'round with these cars with whether I paint them a color that I like or return it to the original color. I've only repainted a small percentage of these builders in their original color. The '65 Dart is DD1 and the Duster is B-5 Blue, they both were built these colors originally.

View attachment 824741 View attachment 824742 View attachment 824744 View attachment 824746
I'll say, you do have a talent!! Well done!! I get tired now looking at all the work needed to bring them back to life. These days all I want to do is drive!

That is a well bought project considering the solid condition of the quarters and roof, $5K buys very little when it comes to 68-70 Chargers. Congrats and good luck on the build!

Good find Greg! Knowing what you're doing with body work and metal like that sure opens the door to a lot more possibilities..as much as the Charger's always been my favorite I doubt I could take on such a project unfortunately. Good luck with it!

them 2nd gen Chargers have really gone crazy in price
even for a basket case one

unfortunately, it looks like a money pit

hope it's all you want it to be & more

good luck

You could hold an argument that a 70 Xh charger is essentially a roadrunner ideology put into a charger. Especially a factory 383 car.

till today it never even occurred to me they would be different,
and i had never noticed even tho ive had numerous chargers.
Ty for teaching me something new,to me,about the vin designations.

heres a 70 charger sort of near me...i think Kern got the better deal.
i also dont think he bought a " moneypit"
that car will be worth Good money when its done.

James Farris

Yesterday at 11:29 AM
1970 charger
$9,500
1970 dodge charger for sale. Has a 383 shortblock and trans in it. Frame rails and torsion area look really good. Will need floor and trunk pan work. Front and back glass area are really good but has some rust around the roof drip rail and the passenger door jamb has rust. Rockers look really good and fenders are super nice. Clear Ky title. Asking 9500 cash no trades. I have put enough pics on to let u know if u want it so if interested call me and come look at it. I have the back seat but not the front. Wheels in pics do not go with it. 270-230-3272. Car is located in Leitchfield Ky.
nc_oc=AQnI7InvHvjxevs6L3rQPFCYAXrQ-cr59KYGrclHSTQY4PVtYNfvAzBDizJ_FIRyADk&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

nc_oc=AQneQjBjTrB_jinjU4B4qBtWHwP5hJi0DWjjksmNnq1m1xPmhX1cXeHfiYiz3JiKFk0&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

nc_oc=AQnDguDfT48kZvOxa-YBnxPtZ6hZJ1DBMfK7tdZWULIMRXUdt-zN3pIWP8O_ROP_mrU&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

nc_oc=AQnI-jx1UjxuMQl6hj2IXWaZIvCuMa9lRlVVG69YYDMCbvyYQuRvcRucazVlgP8PoN4&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

nc_oc=AQmM6NyiomheN55VwPVBuLwx9sFS21-cZJ57Et9ZgXkr_uvm9FybWIjEaXA6k-aAJ_0&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg
+6

4 Comments

That car doesn't have a grille. That alone is $1000, $1500 or more. I don't see a hood. The floor pan rust along with the other areas could turn into a bigger project than my frame rail, core support and fender apron. I think that I got it well below market value even though the $5000 is the most that I have ever paid for a project car.
Some people do get delusional about how easy the build will be. They often fail to leave room for the stuff that breaks, is hard to find, is 3 times the cost that they expect, etc.
I plan to use the original 383 but add a 4 barrel intake and dual exhaust. The drive train stuff is the easy part. The harder part will be the small interior stuff that is specific to these cars. I'm in no hurry. I may slowly gather parts while working on other projects. Next up? Not sure if I'll build this....
1965 Valiant convertible:

:
IMG_2824.JPG

Or this....
1971 Duster that I plan to make a 340 clone. I have the 340, 727, 8 3/4.....Basically everything mechanical. I'll need everything for the interior though.

71-1.JPG

That's a great score , nothing like that here in Canada for that price and you've got inventory to put some of it back together from the red one .
I can help out and give you 10k for the really nice red one to help .

The car was in a parking lot speed collision way long ago. The RF frame rail is bent upward as seen in the pictures.

View attachment 824469
I had to put a pair of '73 Duster disc knuckles and rotors on it to make it a roller. It might have been a disc car, I don't know. No fender tag and so far no build sheet.
View attachment 824471

Nice score! Good job!

A base model with a passenger side mirror! That is unusual too!?

Maybe it is because I never posted a picture of the grille!

I'm not rolling in money but I'm not short on cash either...
I usually sell a car and bank about half, the other half of the money is often the "start up cash" to begin the next project.
In late 2014-2015, I put together $37,000 to pay cash for the Wife's 2015 Challenger from selling a few low dollar cars and some parts.
This car does not need a 100% chalk mark OEM type restoration to be worth money. A straight body, nice paint and everything being decent and complete will still earn me a decent profit.
I do wonder though....
If it is straightened out and in primer, running and driving.....IF it sells for $20,000, is that better than painted, nice wheels and tires and completely finished at a value of $30,000?
We all have seen these cars advertised for stupid money. Does anyone actually pay $20,000 for a complete and running 383 '70 Charger? Maybe they do. My guess is that they may have to wait awhile to get it and wade through many low offers.
What is the most that it is worth right now?
I could put $5000 into this car and have it running and driving. Probably half that considering the spare stuff I have here. Think "Roadkill"...

Would it be more profitable for you to just part it out?

I would feel really guilty doing that!

you may help 5 other guys building Chargers, nothing to feel guilty about..... but are there even 5K in parts there? this may be a case of the whole being worth more than the sum of the parts

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but I think you will have quite a bit more than 30K into it totally finished. I like your plan of straightening it out, getting it in primer, and running. That is how I think you will turn a profit on this one. Let someone else turn it into their dream car and take the financial hit.

Anyone with a clue is not parting out second generation Chargers these days. Especially a California second generation Charger ,they are as good as gold bars in the current market. Unless they are rotted in half,any second generation Charger is considered to be restorable.

Auto Transport Service
Back