• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a decent welder!!

Bens69PlymouthSatellite

Local time
2:18 PM
Reaction score
I am looking for a decent welder for body work and dont have alot of $.Do i want to buy a gas or gasless welder what is easier? I was looking at the eastwood model for $299 they have on there website,also looking at a gasless crapsman,what are the main differences? any suggestions I would like to stay in the price range I have listed! Thanks alot!

If you're going to use it for bodywork, I would steer away from a unit that can only use flux cored wire. You can use less amperage with a shielding gas which will reduce warpage. I use a Lincoln sp135 at work all the time to weld sheet metal and it runs great. The Hobart machine is decent but most of them have limited amperage settings, the lincoln you can fine tune a little better.

Both those welders are very well priced , and very good machines . Personally I prefer gas sheild . both are are miller grade machines with 1 exception. They're aluminium wound machines , not copper wound . Both very capable for doing what you need .

Let me clarify if I may. You definately want to use a shielding gas and look into a welding wire called Easy Grind for use when welding sheet metal. It's softer and will produce less heat when you're grinding down the weld beads. I'd steer away from the Eastwood welder myself, though it may be a decent unit, I've found that if you stick with the proven names, (Lincoln, Hobart, Miller) you won't go wrong.

I'd like to find out who is actually making the Eastwood unit for them, may be a decent piece. You definitely want to buy a gas shielded, not flux core welder and stick with the name brands. Try finding one used on Craigslist, I actually got my Miller 140 from a Craigslist ad and it was new in the box for about $500 less than retail.

And Eastwood usually has high prices....but it's been awhile since I've done any comparison pricing with them. I have a old MillerMatic 200 that I traded for and it works very well but even used they are not real cheap and run around 750 to 1200. Had a Lincoln 110 volt MIG with the flux core and I didn't keep it for long. This machine is overkill for what you probably want to use it for but I do a fair bit of welding but since buying a TIG machine, I rarely use it anymore.

got my Miller 140 from a Craigslist ad and it was new in the box for about $500 less than retail.
I see a lot of welding machines on Craigslist advertised as new in the box.....makes me wonder how many if any are hot....

I had a Mastercrap flux core welder it sucked, I had my brother in law who's a welder set it up and work with it but even he didn't care for it.I now have a used Miller 175 gas welder @ 220 and love it,I've lent it out to a few people and they all love it as well so much so that one bud bought him self a new one for $1100.00can...Miller does make a smaller welder @110 and it works just as nice.

I wonder about the Eastwood welders also. Ben, bide your time and watch Craigslist. I just scored a Hobart Handler 175, gas, 220, cart, gloves, Auto-dim hood for $350 on CL! This guy never even went through the first 2lb spool of flux wire, and the gas guages were still in the wrapping! The deals ARE out there, just get up early on the weekends, and refresh often. Tomorrow I am picking up a Hobart 140, gas engine powered stick welder for $125! The genny dont work but already did the homework and I think all I have to do is "flash" the generator and I'm in business!
These days Hobart is Miller, and Miller is Hobart, same company. The Hobarts may have a few more plastic pieces in the wire feed, but are still great units.
I always have to laugh when I see a snap-on welder for sale at a snap-on price! I assure you, the dont have their own factory!

Matt and I are from Detroit, EVERYTHING is HOT!! LOL!
:rolling:Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies!:rolling:
Actually I got my welder off the Hudsen Valley NY craigslist when I was working on a project out there. The guy had won it from Millers anual raffle that year and didn't have a need for it, it even came with a spool gun for aluminum:grin:. He haden't even broke the seal on the box and he had the letter of congrats from Miller with it, A well documented machine!!!:rolling:

I always have to laugh when I see a snap-on welder for sale at a snap-on price! I assure you, the dont have their own factory!

I have a Snap-On welder (made by Century btw) and it's the biggest piece of **** I ever bought. The next one will be a Millermatic. :yes:

Matt and I are from Detroit, EVERYTHING is HOT!! LOL!
:rolling: Same as Hammond stuff falls off trucks all the time in my town:edgy: hopefully a good brand falls off a truck soon! So should I avoid eastwood I was thinking of buying there all metal who sells it cheaper? and thanks for the input!!

I have used some eastwood rust converter and it worked very well, other than that, all I can say is that I haven't really heard anything bad about any of there product. There rust converter is compared directly to POR 15 and is cheaper.

Century wire feed going on 30 years and built alot of cars with it.Actually at that time made by Lincoln.Best $289.00 i ever spent

Auto Transport Service
Back