• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking For Feedback On Pricing

poopdeckpappy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:23 PM
Reaction score
20170420_204927.jpg
Getting quotes locally here in Kansas City. After a long hiatus from FBBO, I am kinda out of touch and would like some honest input. 69 Dodge Charger Numbers matching. I have the interior out, the windows out, engine and tranny out. Just had a body shop owner come by and look, and give me a quote for bead blasting and a nice paint job. He tells me that it's gonna start at $15K! and more than likely go up from there! I reiterated that it's blasting and paint only and he continued with his numbers. Told him i'd think it over. Where else better to go for advice than here right?! It seems as though i'm getting off to a frustratingly bad start as far as it pertains to finishing this project. The biggest kicker is that I run a business and my customer base has grown so large that I barely see the family during the week let alone remove the cover off the car. Looking for ideas on price ranges for blasting and painting through a professional shop, and possible leads or contact info on shops worthy of the undertaking. In advance, all help is greatly appreciated. Engine has been ready for over a year now!

Last edited:
He's not that far off.

Blasting an entire car is $1200-$1500.

Who's taking the car apart and putting it back together... bumpers, windows, trim?

Labor is a deal at $65/ hr. Materials to do it right, epoxy, surfacer/high build, base, clear, cut/buff alone are $3500+.

It all adds up and quick.

He's not that far off.

Blasting an entire car is $1200-$1500.

Who's taking the car apart and putting it back together... bumpers, windows, trim?

Labor is a deal at $65/ hr. Materials to do it right, epoxy, surfacer/high build, base, clear, cut/buff alone are $3500+.

It all adds up and quick.
I already have the windows, interior, and drivetrain out. He's shooting for $20K to blast and paint only. I put the rest of the car together.

That's why I refuse to do paint/ body work on my car... it's just too damn expensive, I'll do everything else then drive it and enjoy the Heck out of it ! To each their own ....

Last edited:
Not saying your guy is not reputable.....but when they say 15k to start, multiply that by 2.......They will strip the car and then give you a more accurate estimate at that time. Once you get that estimate then hold them to it......

Good, Fast,cheap.....pick any two

If you can't make time to do it..and you can't wait, it's going to cost you. I agree with moparnation74. once they bead blast, there's no telling what will be found.

I got mine ready for paint myself and it took me three solid years of working on it when I could

Not saying your guy is not reputable.....but when they say 15k to start, multiply that by 2.......They will strip the car and then give you a more accurate estimate at that time. Once you get that estimate then hold them to it......
Agreed based on my personal experience.

I just got quoted $20k-$40k if I supply all the panels & patches......so, I'm doing all the work myself & they're ONLY welding in patches...not even grinding down welds...and I'm about $1k in labor on that so far & only 50% done. The killer is the HOURS & HOURS of sanding, grinding, etc. I have roughly 100 hrs. of my own labor in 2 fenders and a hood.... a shop would be at least 50 hrs. I'm guessing.

Agreed based on my personal experience.

I just got quoted $20k-$40k if I supply all the panels & patches......so, I'm doing all the work myself & they're ONLY welding in patches...not even grinding down welds...and I'm about $1k in labor on that so far & only 50% done. The killer is the HOURS & HOURS of sanding, grinding, etc. I have roughly 100 hrs. of my own labor in 2 fenders and a hood.... a shop would be at least 50 hrs. I'm guessing.
I have done paint and bodywork on 9 past restorations...........I also have zero interest to do any of that now or in the future.....For most people today they do not have the time, a shop, tools, and space etc. to be able to do any of this work. Unfortunately, they have to rely on a shop to perform this work.

Shops are very sketchy, even some of the reputable ones.....One has to sit down and write a concise contract on agreed terms and deadlines.......My last rodeo I didn't do a contract but the shop manager was willing to communicate everything via email......Even then I still had to keep them in check, question things like work completed in relation to billed hours and cost of materials charged for.....We had a "love/hate" relationship and that is the way it is with a business transaction......You just have to know how to handle that fine line.....

Or you can send it to Eldub and not worry about any of that nonsense......If I considered doing another he would be one of my choices....

I have done paint and bodywork on 9 past restorations...........I also have zero interest to do any of that now or in the future.....For most people today they do not have the time, a shop, tools, and space etc. to be able to do any of this work. Unfortunately, they have to rely on a shop to perform this work.

Shops are very sketchy, even some of the reputable ones.....One has to sit down and write a concise contract on agreed terms and deadlines.......My last rodeo I didn't do a contract but the shop manager was willing to communicate everything via email......Even then I still had to keep them in check, question things like work completed in relation to billed hours and cost of materials charged for.....We had a "love/hate" relationship and that is the way it is with a business transaction......You just have to know how to handle that fine line.....

Or you can send it to Eldub and not worry about any of that nonsense......If I considered doing another he would be one of my choices....
Who's Eldub? Looking for contact information on other shops also. They don't have to be local either. Willing to travel.

Body and paint are by far the most expensive part of the resto. And remember, you get what you pay for. Do it right the first time so problems don't pop up later.

I appreciate the mention...… not sure the stars are lined up at the moment; but I wouldn't bone ya, that's for sure

Wasn't quite looking to go to Jersey. Sorry eldubb. Would love to hear someone tell me that there's a guy that specializes in Mopars that's alot closer.

If you find someone to sandblast and then go directly to paint, you're going to have a car that looks like garbage.

15k is on the low end for a quality professional job at a shop that does restoration work. A collision shop will be less, but get ready to wait. The collision shop will push the car aside every time an insurance job comes in the door.

is this a "rust free" car? any previous collision damage? can we see pics? there are too many unknowns here to offer any kind of worthwhile advice

Auto Transport Service
Back