• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lunati Cam/lifter went flat during break in

@PRHeads, have you had a chance to test those new comp Hyd roller lifters other than the one big mopar you dyno’d last fall? Those sounded like a good option from that test.
My buddy has a set of the “evolution” lifters that we are going to try out on his stroked 440. I will update when we get it running.

DA8BA959-7E4A-4B5C-9CAD-70D96768845C.jpeg

88C34095-AE17-4D6F-B0C2-D06CD57337A0.jpeg

8924171F-2568-4C79-862A-5F84DA1E4572.jpeg

@PRHeads, have you had a chance to test those new comp Hyd roller lifters other than the one big mopar you dyno’d last fall? Those sounded like a good option from that test.
There was another one or two sets that got put into some Pontiacs.
No noise issues, but those motors peaked at a low enough rpm, where the rpm potential of the lifters didn’t get taxed at all really.
I’ve sold a few sets to some BBM customers, but no reports yet on how they worked out.

I’d def use them again though.

My buddy has a set of the “evolution” lifters that we are going to try out on his stroked 440. I will update when we get it running.

Make sure you follow the preload instructions.

If I'm seeing the box correctly that looks like a roller cam set, if so you have nothing to worry about. If it's a flat tappet I would return it if possible and get a roller kit, I have a hydraulic roller and it's the best thing I could have bought
Flat tappet

I just read up on the evolution lifters. I see they are supposed to be quieter. Are they any lighter? The excess weight seems to be the biggest disadvantage of the hydraulic rollers.
Make sure you follow the preload instructions.

There's that old saying again when you buy after market parts for you car, check and double check. Don't trust no one! There's some really good you tube videos on how to check your flat tappet cam and lifters right out of the box to make sure they spin when in use.

If I'm seeing the box correctly that looks like a roller cam set, if so you have nothing to worry about. If it's a flat tappet I would return it if possible and get a roller kit, I have a hydraulic roller and it's the best thing I could have bought
Back in the day it was like going from $300 to $1500. Not sure nowadays, and I'm in Canada.

Mike Jones, aka CamKing, who now runs the SpeedTalk website has stated at least TWICE that there is only ONE flat tappet brand made in the US & they are veeeeeery expensive. So unless you paid a king's ransom for your FT lifters, who probably have Chinese, Indian or Turkish lifters.

So I received a lightly used cam, nervous about lifters. Is there a case for resurfacing the original ones in my engine? I haven't tore them out yet. Is there a good shop I can send em? Egge?

Nevermind, guy lied, bought the cam unseen. Lobes 4,5 wiped. XE262H. Guess I got some welding art material for 30$.

PXL_20230324_204229468.jpg

PXL_20230324_204219574.jpg

PXL_20230324_204206880.jpg

I gave it a shot, I'm in no hurry. I'm changing my oil pan, timing set and converting to a 4bbl. Still need an intake. Figured while I'm there I should add a stick. I feel like I'm hijacking now. Sorry guys. But hey like I said welding art, always see a upside. But again is resurfacing old 1973 lifters that are in descent condition an option?

That is an excellent idea.
If you can find someone that offers this service, it would instill some confidence in keeping a flat tappet cam.
These wiped cam and lifter troubles didn’t seem so common until the last 15-20 years. It can be hard to get a reputable vendor to admit what the actual fault is. They don’t want to tarnish their relationship with a manufacturer by going on the record that the lifters are garbage.
What has changed in this time? Sure, camshafts have steadily gotten more aggressive, spring pressures are higher and the oil has changed but what about the dude with a fairly tame setup? We have seen failures all across the board.
I wish I could remember where I heard it but it was determined that the new stuff was still hard enough and on par with old metal when tested using the “Rockwell” gauge.
Maybe it IS the crown of the lifters. Maybe.
For many years, I was under the false impression that the cam and lifters were hardened. Knowing now that they are not, in theory the lifter faces could be refaced to have more crown, ensuring adequate rotation.

Makes a case for old soft springs for break-ins. Since that's all I have that's what my plan was. Bunch of moly and break in oil. I'm wanting to just run my car again, eventually a RB. Wife keeps the purse strings tight.

I gave it a shot, I'm in no hurry. I'm changing my oil pan, timing set and converting to a 4bbl. Still need an intake. Figured while I'm there I should add a stick. I feel like I'm hijacking now. Sorry guys. But hey like I said welding art, always see a upside. But again is resurfacing old 1973 lifters that are in descent condition an option?
Camshaft Conundrum
post #6 are lifter resurfacing companies. The hylift Johnsons are made in Michigan. Rhoads uses Hylift Johnsons bodies and does their mod to them. Both have gotten expensive but are the best flat tappets unless you can buy some old stock ones.

Mike Jones, aka Cam King, runs the SpeedTalk website. He has been grinding cams.....& selling lifters for DECADES.

He has stated AT LEAST twice in recent times [ go look for it ] that there is only ONE company making FT lifters in the US.....& they are very expensive. So unless you paid a Kings Ransom in the last few years for your lifters, they are unlikely to be US made. The cam companies do not make their own FT lifters, they buy them in a brown box & then change the box......

Auto Transport Service
Back