• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magnum 500's/Road Wheels won't fit my '66 Coronet wheel hubs??? Help please...

Captain45

Local time
12:55 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some help figuring out why my '66 Coronet Deluxe 2 door sedan wheel hubs appear to be too big for Magnum 500's and Chrysler Road Wheels.

I measured mine at 2 3/4" or 71mm. I did a front disc conversion from Doctor Diff, and the hubs are the same size as the stock rear drums.

Coker Chrysler Road Wheels center bore is listed on the Summit website at 2 1/8", Wheel Vintiques Magnum 500 Road Wheels are 2 1/4".

This has been making me crazy for the last 2 days-measuring/re-measuring, searching posts threads and reviews, calling different companies. I see pictures of 66' and 67' coronets with these wheels all the time, but I can't find anything addressing my problem.

What am I missing???

Factory wheels will fit your car. If the sizes you listed are true, then the reproduction wheels are wrong, not your car. If they are talking about the hole for rhe center caps on the magnums, then that has nothing to do with the fit on the car.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to the guy I bought my full set of factory 14" Road Wheels from. He wanted 15" wheels and bought the fancy Wheel Vintiques that of course didn't fit his front hubs on his '73 Runner. Had to take them to a machine shop and have them opened up.

Same thing happened to the guy I bought my full set of factory 14" Road Wheels from. He wanted 15" wheels and bought the fancy Wheel Vintiques that of course didn't fit his front hubs on his '73 Runner. Had to take them to a machine shop and have them opened up.
Thanks for sharing that! I wonder how many people have had to do that. It can't be everyone, right?

Look at this hub. A magnum 500 wheel won’t fit over this hub. It’s a mid 70’s disc brake. The Huns they fit over tape down to nearly the same size and the dust cap.

8934C9A6-E2FE-439A-82AB-BA15095E68DC.png 7B1DCBCB-FE11-44A1-BB90-786681D176BA.png

They were originally available for Ford, Mopar and AMC. I don't think the original Ford version will fit ours or AMC cars, I don't know if the new versions are different.
I know I couldn't put regular ford rims on my road runner.

Ford magnum 500’s Will easily fit mopars. The standard for steel wheels wil not fit a mopar the center hole is too small.

Factory wheels will fit your car. If the sizes you listed are true, then the reproduction wheels are wrong, not your car. If they are talking about the hole for rhe center caps on the magnums, then that has nothing to do with the fit on the car.

Not talking about the center caps. And, if my hubs are true to the stock size, how are all of us Mopar guys getting the reproduction rims to fit? I have a hard time believing every mopar guy is taking their brand new rims to the machine shop...

I guess I don't understand all the fuss! I've bought 4 complete sets Of magnum road wheels from wheel vintiques for my 66 charger with factory drums, 68 charger with factory drums, 72 charger with factory disc, and 74 charger with factory disc. I've have zero fitment issues.

I guess I don't understand all the fuss! I've bought 4 complete sets Of magnum road wheels from wheel vintiques for my 66 charger with factory drums, 68 charger with factory drums, 72 charger with factory disc, and 74 charger with factory disc. I've have zero fitment issues.
I don't understand it either! I spoke with wheel vintiques yesterday, and they told me the center bore measures 2.25". My hubs are 2.81. That doesn't fit.

The center hole they are talking about is the center cap hole. The wheels themselves are not hubcentric, and have a large area where it fits over the hub.

The center hole they are talking about is the center cap hole. The wheels themselves are not hubcentric, and have a large area where it fits over the hub.
I never looked at the backside of the rims. I assumed the center bore went all the way to the back. So frustrating, yet so relieved now. I knew I was missing something!
Thanks again!

Auto Transport Service
Back