• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mailbox ideas

charliesharp

Local time
12:26 AM
Reaction score
I have been wanting to do this for some time now, since I live on a busy state road. I want to take the old slant6 (provided I can't give it away) clean it up, paint it and install my mailbox on it where the carb would mount and use it for the mail. Anyone else have any cool ideas for or actually has a cool mailbox

Funny, just today to told my dad to yank that old inline 6 out of the '50 dodge pickup he's buying... and turn it into a mailbox.

A friend of mine has a Webber Smoker BBQ with an added hinge painted all flamed out... as his mail box

I've been wanting to take a junk V8 and do the same only I wanted to hollow out the block for the mail box "what a job that would be". I sure feel sorry for the first kid that whacks it with a baseball bat "ouch". Sounds really cool and it would make pizza delivery more consistent. I would ditch the mail box in favor of small aluminum fuel tank or maybe put an automatic tranny on it, it would be easy to seal up and easy to weld a mailbox into the trans pan. However you do it it will look cool "I like it".

In the town where I grew up there was a tranny shop that used a tranny case as their mailbox. The bell housing part faced the street and the place where the front pump went had a door. Very cool! Unfortunately it was a TH 350 or some GM tranny and it probably broke the first time the mailman put too much mail in it.

Here's a few I found funny-weird-strange-letter-boximages-pictures-bajiroo-unusual-mailbox-3.jpgMailbox2.jpgthCABF4DPQ.jpgV8%20mailbox.jpg

funny-weird-strange-letter-boximages-pictures-bajiroo-unusual-mailbox-3.jpg Mailbox2.jpg thCABF4DPQ.jpg V8%20mailbox.jpg

I saw a cool mailbox a while back and wish I still had the pictures. The gist of it was Wily Coyote standing up and holding the mail box, which was painted up like a box with ACME written on the sides, but the back of the box had a couple inches of one of those dynamite bombs he was always making sticking out at him and Coyote's face is turned toward you with that "oh crap" look he would get when one of his plans backfired and he was about to blow up.

It looked to be made out of 3/4" plywood sides attached to a center post and was about 4-5ft high.

Yeah, a flathead with a mail box scoop!

I love the idea of a custom mailbox, but, It may not be allowed in your area. There is also a liability issue. Boxes are run-over often for fun, and by accident. Having an engine block, mounted securely to support it, at window level, could cause serious injury, or death. I don't give two-shits for the punks that do it on purpose. But I would feel bad if an innocent hit it and was injured. At my old house on the dirt road, I just mounted the post in pea-gravel, and actually attached the box to the post with velcro. It managed to survive many Homecoming-Week attacks. Just my $.02

I love the idea of a custom mailbox, but, It may not be allowed in your area. There is also a liability issue. Boxes are run-over often for fun, and by accident. Having an engine block, mounted securely to support it, at window level, could cause serious injury, or death. I don't give two-shits for the punks that do it on purpose. But I would feel bad if an innocent hit it and was injured. At my old house on the dirt road, I just mounted the post in pea-gravel, and actually attached the box to the post with velcro. It managed to survive many Homecoming-Week attacks. Just my $.02

Very good point and not one I had considered, I would hate to hurt someone or break the law just to have a cool mailbox

When I worked as a clerk in a local post office, I would have to go out a deliver mail every once in a while. It was usually in town, but this one day they had me deliver a rural route I wasn't familiar with. Anyhow, I roll up to this innocent looking mailbox, open the door and it's full of cement. Hardened cement.

The next day i see the carrier whose route it is and I ask him what the gig is. He say's...."Oh, that guy has a PO Box here at the office. He was tired of the kids knocking his mailbox down with baseball bats and that was his solution."

Auto Transport Service
Back