• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Many thanks to "dadsbee".

dodgemahal

Local time
3:23 PM
Reaction score
I changed my transmission fluid on my 67 Coronet 727 and it immediately started to leak fluid(see my previous post). I assumed it was the gasket not sealing properly, but alas, it appears to be coming from the shifter seals, as dadsbee suggested. So what can be done about that? I know Mopar did make a sealer additive under part #2298923. Probably is no longer made. Sorry for the barrage of different threads but I'm resurrecting this old Dodge after 28 years in storage. Great discussions on all my problems, as I sort this all out. Great forum!

Is it a flatted O ring like the dipstick seal?

Replace the seal and move forward. No magic sauce for that problem.

It's up high close to the floor pan and hard to see, not to mention a thick crust covering everything. I'll have to degrease that mess, oh yay. If I overfilled would that cause it to leak out of those seals too? I removed the pan and TC plug and let it all drain for several days. I buttoned it up and put in 18 pints(9 qts.), 1/2 pint less the capacity as stated by the FSM. It looks a high on the dipstick. I haven't ran it it yet because I've got several maintenance projects going on concurrently with this car.

With the correct amount of fluid in there the oil will reach those seals with the engine not running, you can see on the dip stick how high the oil sits at rest. (also inside the dip stick tube)

Just do it right, drop the trans and change those seals, you might get away with something but eventually it will leak again.
Pop the linkage out of the trans as well and check the shaft at the sealing area, mine had some rust there that i cleaned up with Scotsh Brite pad and slapped some grease on the shaft before reinstalling the linkage.

I'm wondering if it's overfilled and the extra mass is putting pressure on those old seals causing fluid to push past them. I'll find out what the fluid level actually is once I get it running and hot and the car level too. But yes, I'll put new ones in. Are they readily available?

You're welcome @davek Always trying to help... but starting to get many on my "no fly zone" that apparently don't appreciate it like you and others do!

I had mine all but replaced in car but either the rooster comb or thottle valve shaft in at the last minute. I recommend dropping the pan right out of the gate.

dadsbee is a cool cat

lastec4520articulator-009-jpg-jpg.jpg

71mxsfnvbjl-_ac_sl1500_-jpg.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back