• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Matching #'s ???

69beepbeep69

Local time
4:31 PM
Reaction score
Ok I need help from all you numbers experts out there. Here's the vin and the engine stamp. Is it possible a production line worker had a brain fart or is this just a different motor? I find it very strange that only one digit is off? I've got all kinds of documentation on the car including build sheet, copy of original title and original bill of sale.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Some flunky at the DMV typed the wrong number on your title. Check the dash VIN to see the correct number.

Title vin, dash vin & radiator support vin all the same, engine stamp one digit off :(

That is strange. Check some date codes. Engine date compared to car build date.

With that digit wrong its hard to call it numbers matching but........stranger things have happened. Was the car built on a Monday??

That is strange. Check some date codes. Engine date compared to car build date.

With that digit wrong its hard to call it numbers matching but........stranger things have happened. Was the car built on a Monday??��

...or a Friday?

That is very strange. I seems unlikely that a replacement engine would have a number that is that close, but I guess stranger things have happened. I think it's more likely that the engine number stamp got screwed up somehow, but I'm not sure that could be verified. There are a few guys on the forum that worked in the factory back in those days and maybe they can shed some light on this. I wouldn't consider the car to be #s matching unless it could be proven that this was a factory screwup, but it's still a very nice car.

I once had a 70' Challenger with dash VIN one off from the body numbers ,but it was the last digit , not the 3rd. I would research the vin on the block, and see if that car exists.

I too have the dash VIN one number off the body stampings but it is the last digit. No numbers on the early 68 motors.
According to Galen G, it happens frequently and should not be a problem.

I heard of this also, you have something that's very rare.

Is there date codes on the engine and if so where?

on the side of the block itself,there should be a code and a Clock,
which will show what time the motor was done.

on the Pad under the distributor,there should be a machined surface,showing various numbers and letters.
post those,and we can decode them too.

congrats btw,on finding your broadcast sheet and other documents :)

also,edit,cant recall when they started it,but there may be a Partial Vin on the trans edge/just above tranny pan on edges.

Is there date codes on the engine and if so where?

Check the driver's side of the block for the block casting date. It should be before your scheduled production date.
Check the pan rail or the engine pad for the engine assembly date and HP stamp. It, likely, will be before your scheduled production date.
Check the passenger's side of the transmission to see what VIN is there and see if the VIN and font match the one on the engine.
Report back with results.

Knowing that you've only just bought this car, I reckon it's a bit of a dog act that the seller didn't inform you of this "anomaly".

That said, it'd be unlikely that some past owner has managed to find a block numbered like this one to replace the original....it's likely a typo.

If the casting date predates the cars build date, you're on more solid ground.

Auto Transport Service
Back