• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical Fuel Pump 101

So in your opinion with your Edelbrock carbs you don't feel that's a problem or should it be corrected somehow? Maybe a dual quad scenario?

I'm not seeing a problem with it. Like I stated, it appears to be air in the line after sitting causing a higher reading on the guage. Once warmed up and driven it's showing the correct psi. It's not running rich. It wasn't running rich when the original pump was putting out 8 psi constantly. Maybe a check valve installed before the pump would prevent any drain back. I'm not really concerned at this time, it's been running fine.

Good to hear. I got my Carter in the mail and am sending it off shortly. How much was the modification if I may ask?

I talked to Summit and they are sending me a replacement Carter 6903 pump. Of course this is the first that they have heard of any of these pumps putting out to much pressure. I think I am going to send it directly to the place KK mentioned and have it set to 7 psi.
On another note, I checked my new Mancini pushrod and it was already wore .005" and mushroomed on the end. Had to be caused be the stiff spring? I bought the rod from Mancini because supposedly they had a bunch made that are not supposed to wear as fast as others on the market. Anybody know if these are indeed the best replacements out there?

I talked to Summit and they are sending me a replacement Carter 6903 pump. Of course this is the first that they have heard of any of these pumps putting out to much pressure. I think I am going to send it directly to the place KK mentioned and have it set to 7 psi.
On another note, I checked my new Mancini pushrod and it was already wore .005" and mushroomed on the end. Had to be caused be the stiff spring? I bought the rod from Mancini because supposedly they had a bunch made that are not supposed to wear as fast as others on the market. Anybody know if these are indeed the best replacements out there?

The spring that was installed by Then and Now in my pump is running at 5 psi to 5 1/2 psi. Mike told me if it wasn't enough he would send me the next higher rated spring and the instructions to install it. (This is something you can not do until he replaces the Carter factory spring and diaphragm.)

Right now, seeing and hearing from others, I'm only going to use an original used pushrod, one that still measures 3.220 or buy a new old stock Chrysler manufactured one.

I'm glad I was able to take care of this over-pressure misery on those 6903 pumps with a simple spring change. I did some digging around today and noticed that Carter's Super Street Pump is rated at 8+ psi. The 6903 was supposed to be rated at 5 1/2 to 6. I'm going to go out on a line and say whoever was assembling these pumps at the factory, used the incorrect diaphragm assembly in the 6903 pump making it put out the pressure of the other pump. I can't remember the number of their super street pump. It may have been called a Super Strip pump, I just can't recall. I replaced another one today that wasn't even installed yet, and it had that big spring as well as the screw holes having been stretched out. The customer that sent that one in, also sent in a second one that had been installed, but this one had no pressure at all, due to other problems. That one got the full rebuild treatment.

Over the past couple of years, I started making "how-to" videos on rebuilding mechanical screw-together fuel pumps and uploaded them to our Youtube channel. Today, I did one on rebuilding a Carter 6903 showing all the little things that someone might need to know if they were to buy one of our rebuilding kits, and do the job themselves at home. As soon as I get it edited, I'll post a link to it on the board.

I also sent you one a few weeks ago and now in the mail to me. It had never been used. I'm glad you checked it over and made it rebuild able. Looking forward to using it on my Edelbrock equipped 69 Fury.

I'm glad I was able to take care of this over-pressure misery on those 6903 pumps with a simple spring change. I did some digging around today and noticed that Carter's Super Street Pump is rated at 8+ psi. The 6903 was supposed to be rated at 5 1/2 to 6.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-m6903
Here is the 6903 sold at Summit. Listed as putting out 5.5 - 7.5 psi. I asked Tom to set mine at 7 psi. Hope that is the spring he used as that is what my engine builder recommends. If not, maybe it is not to late to get those springs thrown in the box?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-m6903
Here is the 6903 sold at Summit. Listed as putting out 5.5 - 7.5 psi. I asked Tom to set mine at 7 psi. Hope that is the spring he used as that is what my engine builder recommends. If not, maybe it is not to late to get those springs thrown in the box?

As I mentioned a few times, I used the lighter spring that will bring the pressure down.

I was having a "higher than I wanted" fuel pressure using a Carter M6903 mechanical pump on my 440 with two 600 Edelbrocks. It was running at 8 psi and the last oil change I'm getting a strong fuel smell. The oil wasn't over full or thinned out but the fuel smell is telling me fuel is getting past the rings somehow. The engine wasn't running rich but there was 8 lbs showing on the guage each time I shut it down and it was probably bleeding off overnight. This pump is supposed to be rated @ 7 psi.

So doing some research I find the Holley 12-440-11 is the same pump just chrome plated and it's rated 6.5 - 8 psi. (Not for me)

Then I looked at the Edelbrock 1722 (same pump again) and it's rated @ 6 psi. Did a little more research on this pump and the ratings are about 50/50 on quality and function. I also found out Edelbrock had Carter make this pump with a lighter spring just for the fact Eddies don't like more than 6 psi. (I'm not liking the ratings)

So I'm thinking if I could find a rebuild kit for the Edelbrock 1722 it would have a lighter spring and less pressure. No such luck finding a rebuild kit for any of these newer Carter fuel pumps. They are made to be disassembled but you're not going to find a kit. Makes no sence except for the fact they are just a throw away pump just like the stock ones.

Speaking of stock pumps, there are several out there that have a 3/8" inlet (another feature I need because of having that size line from the tank) but they are rated @ 8 psi also.

You might be thinking, why don't you just get a regulator? Going to a regulator setup would require additional lines, the regulator and mount it on the firewall or inner fender. I'm not really that fond of that look on this car plus the added cost would be well over $100.

A little more research and I stumbled onto this outfit in Massachusetts that rebuilds fuel pumps.

Then and Now Automotive
447 Washington Street
Weymouth Ma. 02188
Ph# 781-335-8860
www.then-now.com

I emailed them and talked to Mike. Told him my situation. Part of his email reply...

The diaphragm assembly from the factory is not changeable. What can be done, is if you send me the pump, I would disassemble it and make an entirely new diaphragm assembly with a lower pressure spring on it. After that, it can be changed.

So I boxed it up, sent it to them and a week later...

I fixed up your pump this morning with a weaker spring. Just so you know, the diaphragm assembly I took out wasn't going to last very long. I'm really not surprised either. The spring that is in there now, should give you the lower pressure you're looking for. They put a killer spring in there from the factory. Anyway, I am sending the old one back with the pump so you can see and feel how strong the spring was. Look closely at the holes where the screws go thru the diaphragm material. You'll notice that the holes are elongated which is a no-no. That tells me that when whoever at the factory was assembling the pump, they neglected to pre-load the diaphragm. By not doing that, the diaphragm tends to stretch and fail rather quickly. Those oval screw holes were a dead giveaway. Pre-loading the diaphragm is extremely important especially in a Carter pump.

Here's the diaphragm he removed
View attachment 954409

Holy crap!
Is this the same pump?
My father probably installed it 20 years ago. Ive been having a "Stall" when pushing acellerator, then 440 will acellerate, usually have to smash it pretty good.
Ive noticed OIL all around the pump and ON and leaking from it as well.

I drove car last weekend, 7/25/2020,, same problem. I dont have a pressure guage currently, but did notice this CRACK at the outlet line.
Now Im hearing a LOT of people saying theyre problems!?
20200727_074918.jpg

Wonder off lack of or too much fuel PSI can cause this (440 Six Pack car) do act lije that? I just replaced every damn ignition part on it, along with ALL wiring harnesses..

Thanks!!

What kind of power is your motor putting out? Reason I ask is that I am have a detonation issue on a newly built stroker motor that is 595hp and 605 ft lbs. I am using the same 6903 mechanical pump. The engine builder is blaming the pump for not putting out enough volume once the secondaries open. I don't know if I am buying into that.

Think I have this problem, 69-1/2 Dodge A12 (440 Six Pack)
.020 Over,.292 Comp Cam, solid lift, last dynoed at 488 HP, 604 Lbs,Ft torque. Stalls on acelleration. Then gets right on it. Now gushing fuel from a crack in the pump itself. I know its a Carter. And its JUNK. Ordered a factory OEM replacement.
20200727_074918.jpg

Think I have this problem, 69-1/2 Dodge A12 (440 Six Pack)
.020 Over,.292 Comp Cam, solid lift, last dynoed at 488 HP, 604 Lbs,Ft torque. Stalls on acelleration. Then gets right on it. Now gushing fuel from a crack in the pump itself. I know its a Carter. And its JUNK. Ordered a factory OEM replacement.
View attachment 980530
Somebody tightened the fitting into the housing to much on that one I believe.

So I have been having some issues with a new motor and decided to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to rule out a low pressure condition. Check this out, brand new Carter 6903 at idle.
Does anybody make a good reliable mechanical pump that puts out 7.5 psi or so and will support a 600 hp motor? Kind of leary buying another one of these Carters.

View attachment 957325
I had a reading of 11 with a Carter pump. I decided to install a regulator with a bypass. Now the excess pressure/fuel goes back to the tank. Fuel is in a loop now. I have NO more vapor lock problems at all. It starts fine in any condition. I'm going to put a similar setup in my project car.

2 Chargers I.jpg

Holy crap!
Is this the same pump?
My father probably installed it 20 years ago. Ive been having a "Stall" when pushing acellerator, then 440 will acellerate, usually have to smash it pretty good.
Ive noticed OIL all around the pump and ON and leaking from it as well.

I drove car last weekend, 7/25/2020,, same problem. I dont have a pressure guage currently, but did notice this CRACK at the outlet line.
Now Im hearing a LOT of people saying theyre problems!?
View attachment 980529

Wonder off lack of or too much fuel PSI can cause this (440 Six Pack car) do act lije that? I just replaced every damn ignition part on it, along with ALL wiring harnesses..

Thanks!!

Looks like someone brazed it once trying to fix the crack. Time for a new one for sure.

Your hesitation might be the accelerator pump. Give the throttle linkage a pull while looking in the carb and see if you get a good squirt.

Looks like someone brazed it once trying to fix the crack. Time for a new one for sure.

Your hesitation might be the accelerator pump. Give the throttle linkage a pull while looking in the carb and see if you get a good squirt.
Seems to yeah. Found a really nice fuel leak at the 3/8 hose from pump to carb line last night. Its fixed. But dont know yet if THAT may jave caused it. Freakin Six Packs are a pain in the *** to get started after draining all 3 bowls...

I just wanted to add to one of my posts about the pre-loading of the diaphragm assembly that wasn't being done. The pictures show the results of that missing procedure. I'm pretty sure the person that sent this M6903 in for rebuilding is a member here. I just wanted to also mention that this failure was not due to the diaphragm material not being able to hold up to the newer fuel, this was just a simple matter of improper assembly.

IMG_0850.jpg IMG_0851.jpg IMG_0852.jpg

I just wanted to add to one of my posts about the pre-loading of the diaphragm assembly that wasn't being done. The pictures show the results of that missing procedure. I'm pretty sure the person that sent this M6903 in for rebuilding is a member here. I just wanted to also mention that this failure was not due to the diaphragm material not being able to hold up to the newer fuel, this was just a simple matter of improper assembly.

View attachment 1017030 View attachment 1017031 View attachment 1017032
Mike, do you have a link to your Carter pump rebuild videos?

Another informative thread! Thanks KK!

Auto Transport Service
Back