• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More break in questions...

MO.RR

Local time
4:33 AM
Reaction score
So I wasn’t entirely sure I could set up my heads correctly to go with my new cam swap so I was sending it to a shop. That doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen so I’m going to give it a shot, maybe.
Question is, can I break in a flat tappet on the stock ‘76 452 springs or should I use the springs recommended for break in? My thought process is to do break in without tearing down the heads and then have some setup aluminum to put on shortly after. This would save me extra work and putting on an unknown to break in a cam.
the cam is a xe262 in a stock ‘76 440. Still sorting through what heads I can use with the headers I have.

Most cam manufactures recommend only using the outer springs if you have duel spring set up. thats so the pressure is lighter on the lifter. so im gonna say yes you can use your stock 452 springs to break in your cam . you only turn the engine at 2000 rpm or so it should be fine.

Yep sometimes running double springs will wipe a cam out during break in. Also throw a bottle of cam additive in.

I have break in oil and springs (comp 911) are also single.

The 911 may still be a bit stout for break in. Someone else with more experience may chime in, but I would call Comps tech line and ask since they are both a cam and spring manufacturer??

So I wasn’t entirely sure I could set up my heads correctly to go with my new cam swap so I was sending it to a shop. That doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen so I’m going to give it a shot, maybe.
Question is, can I break in a flat tappet on the stock ‘76 452 springs or should I use the springs recommended for break in? My thought process is to do break in without tearing down the heads and then have some setup aluminum to put on shortly after. This would save me extra work and putting on an unknown to break in a cam.
the cam is a xe262 in a stock ‘76 440. Still sorting through what heads I can use with the headers I have.
I like your thinking!
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back