• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1967 Belvedere Convertible Plans and Restoration (aka - Mad Scientist Build)

There is a little air dam that bolts on the front there.

I really hope you aren't missing yours since I just scrapped two of those...

Guess what KB . . . I think I'm missing it . . . let me guess, you don't have another one to spare ? ? ( sigh )

Guess what KB . . . I think I'm missing it . . . let me guess, you don't have another one to spare ? ? ( sigh )

Unfortunately not. I went through the whole shed yesterday and I know they are gone. I tossed em thinking nobody is going to want to pay shipping for one of those. But they should be pretty cheap from about anybody parting out a car.

Cleaning up the firewall . . . first the gouged hole . . .

This hole that looks like it was made with a dull screwdriver and a hammer . . . got tired of seeing it . . .

So it's time to get if fixed and welded shut here's what I had . . . and now what I've got :

sm-holetofix.jpgsm_holefixed.jpg

Don't know if my welding is getting any better, but my grinding skills are surely improving ! !

Nice.

OK if you aren't doing a separate post I'll go 65 lbs on the undercoating :)

Nice.

OK if you aren't doing a separate post I'll go 65 lbs on the undercoating :)

Hey Tallhair . . . thought about it, but I'd rather do it for the people that are reading this thread.

And the prize - this authentically reproduced copy of an original weathered Mopar sign . . . ( you like that ? )
sign size - 12.5" X 16"

sm_prize.jpg

To the person that get's the closest to the actual weight ( over or under ).

Weigh in will be Friday - 12/06/13 - after I get off work ( about 6:00 PM )

GET YOUR GUESSES IN - ONE GUESS PER PERSON PLEASE.

Besides - this is probably cheaper then shipping all the undercoating to the winner ! !

Current guesses -
roadrunnerman - 67 lb
tallhair - 65 lb
KB67Mopar - 57 ib 10 oz
747Mopar - 53 lb
usaroadrunner - 42.1970 - ( I don't think my scale is that accurate ! )
hunt2elk - 38.5 lb

Last edited:
Hey Tallhair . . . thought about it, but I'd rather do it for the people that are reading this thread.

And the prize - this authentically reproduced copy of an original weathered Mopar sign . . . ( you like that ? )
sign size - 12.5" X 16"

View attachment 154308

Besides - this is probably cheaper then shipping all the undercoating to the winner ! !

"You're either First or you're Last !!!!"

Well of course all 4 of us could re-post our guess'es but this is fun too :) Neat looking sign and it's gonna look cool in my garage! hahaha

Was that a shorted out wire hanging out of that hideous hole? Your repair looks really good, keep on plugging.

Thing we find working on our cars . . .

Was that a shorted out wire hanging out of that hideous hole? Your repair looks really good, keep on plugging.

Yeah 747Mopar . . . it was connected to the starter solenoid, so possibly, the wire in the harness that that was melted was replace with that hideous repair job . . . ( sigh ) . . . it's always funny the things that we find as we work our way through these cars . . .

How about this routing of the master cylinder rod through the proper hole ?

sm_ooops.jpg

Gotta love it - leave it to ingenuity ! ! !

Last edited:
I'm gonna go ahead and guess the brakes weren't working too good

Funny thing Tallhair - Actually it was like that on the car from 1966 - 2012 - when I pulled that master cylinder and added an upgraded dual master and power booster.

Just was amazed - it took more work to "make" the new hole, then to put it where it should have been . . . go figure.

Alright 53 lbs is my guess. Looks like someone was trying to commit suicide in that car "WOW" those are a couple of big cob jobs they had going on. Thank goodness they didn't hammer a hole threw the floor to piss out haha "hopefully no more surprises". You really need to give us a recent pic of the car (not the bottom of it) so we can get a look at it. Take care

Full pictures of my car - not the underside . . .

LMAO 747Mopar . . . but the bottom of the car is about the only thing that I've been seeing for the past 6 months . . .

But you are right . . . so it was a nice day and the car was pulled from the shop to see the light of day for the first time in 5 years . . .

Here's some pictures of my project . . . the driver's side . . .

sm_fulldriverside.jpg

From the passenger's side . . .

sm_fullpassegerside.jpg

And a shot of all the work that I'm doing on the engine compartment . . .

sm_fullenginecomp.jpg

I've forgotten how much I like this body style of the 67 B-bodies . . . this is a great motivation to keeping it moving forward !

Hope you like it 747Mopar - thanks for the suggestion !

good lord keep the motivation going, thats to sweet of a car not to get on the road. keep plugging along 67.

sign size - 12.5" X 16"

View attachment 154308

Current guesses -
roadrunnerman - 67 lb
tallhair - 65 lb
KB67Mopar - 57 ib 10 oz
747Mopar - 53 lb
hunt2elk - 38.5 lb

42.1970 lbs lol

Alright 53 lbs is my guess. Looks like someone was trying to commit suicide in that car "WOW" those are a couple of big cob jobs they had going on. Thank goodness they didn't hammer a hole threw the floor to piss out haha "hopefully no more surprises". You really need to give us a recent pic of the car (not the bottom of it) so we can get a look at it. Take care

LMAO 747Mopar . . . to be fair about it . . . the master cylinder was pulled out of my 66 Chevy Shoebox - the wire through the firewall was ALL Belvedere ! ! !
As for the hole in the floor to piss through . . . go back and look at the beginning of this thread - I've already welded them shut ! ! ! ( SMILE )

I'm sure I'll find a few more surprises . . . and I'll deal with them one at a time as they show up . . . ( grin )

Pulled the drums on the rear end today - one of them is so cupped that I could barely get it off, and I really doubt that it can be turned to get it smooth and still have the proper amount of metal left to make it fit within safety regulations. Looks like I'll be needing at least one new drum - maybe should get both new ? ?

Question - what is the spring that they have around the drum ? ? ?

Haha, Thank you for the pics "I'm officially motivated for you now". My favorite two cars was always the 69 Charger and the 70 Challenger but over the past few years the 67 b bodies have taken over the second pic "that car is going to be down right sexy when it's done". Take a pic of those drums and get some measurements, I have a set of huge finned drums off of a 68 RR that I think had those springs "no idea why the spring" but they are in really good condition if you want them.

In non-engineer terms, because that's the only ones I know, they were to keep the drum from losing round-ness and or flying apart from the centrifugal forces at speed.

Or to wick the heat off the drum, yeah that's what they're for

And the real answer: The reason the spring's there is so the brakes are quiet on Mr. and Mrs. Cleaver's new Belvedere.
- - - Updated - - -

Car is looking much better especially since you got it some fresh air. Nice chance to clean up any spare scarps of undercoating and rust scale to put in those bags to him my 65 lbs LOL.

Nice work brother :)

Share with you my rear end cart . . . ( for the car ) . . .

Bought some simple metal casters and some pieces of square tube steel to make myself a rear end cart for the Belvedere - maybe $50 worth of parts . . . then I find this old $10 moving dolly that I bought at HF a couple years ago . . .

So now let me share with you my new $10 rear end cart . . . so the casters are tall enough, as is, to get the drums in the air and hold up the nose too.

sm_rearendcart.jpg

There is even a little extra room to store the drums if you have them off . . .

sm_rearendcart2.jpg

Here's picture of the front of the drum . . .

sm_drum.jpg

and the rear of the drum - looks like it's a 10" drum . . .

sm_drum2.jpg

Also got a couple studs in the axles that are very loose . . . they can be very easily tapped out.
Might be a good reason for shortening up the housing and getting new axles ? ?

looking good whats it like to move it on dirt with those casters

Auto Transport Service
Back