• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Coronet project

Starting of 2011 with a new picture of the engine, got the exhaust blasted and painted, let´s see if they are looking as great after I have started the engine... Waiting for the gasket kit for the waterpump and it soon will be ready to put back in the car. If everything goes as planned I will paint the engine compartment in a week or two.
Bought an complete exhaust system with hangers and tips from a 68 Charger in town, he has bought a complete TTI with headders instead. I know the tips are not the right one for a coronet but they looks great and it works for me.
Got 90% of all the parts i need to finish the car, so now it is up to me, better go out there and start sanding.
Happy new year to all of you!

Attachments

• eng1.jpg
    eng1.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 1,044
Lookin' good, Happy New Year to you as well, now get out there and turn some wrenches, I think that is how I am going to start my new year this morning.

Almost 3 months since I updated the thread, it has been a long winter and the only thing I have done is that I bought some more parts... Thanks Sven!
BUT now it is time to get some work done, will start today and throw out all junk from the garage, bicycles, lawnmovers etc. so I can prepare to paint the engine compartment when the spring arrives, it must be near now.
In two weeks I will send the 727 to the shop, after that most of the drive train will be ready to roll, too bad the rest of the car is not...

Got some work done, starting to remove the k-frame and torsionbars and it was in such a bad condition so I decided so do a total rebuild. Will order a complete front end kit and new torsionbars, already got a new disc brake kit.
One of the bushings was on it´s way out...

I have also started to paint the undercarrige, first with epoxi primer and now with a black epoxi top coat.
To be continued...

Attachments

• fronten.JPG
    fronten.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 838
  • rent.JPG
    rent.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 848
  • bussning.JPG
    bussning.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 845
Another great afternoon in the garage!
Painted the steering box, blasted the lower control arms and the k-frame, notice the lack of sway bar fasteners but I will weld in a new one, also planning on boxing them.
Disasambled the front brakes just to get some bolts for the disc brake conversion, it is a real dirty job! Everything is covered in grease...
Sent an email to PST and asked for a quote for a new set of torsion bars and a front end kit, let´s see if they answer.
If the weather stays good and the boss stays away I will get some more done tomorrow.

Attachments

• kframe.JPG
    kframe.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 835
  • cont.jpg
    cont.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 820
  • ster.JPG
    ster.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 830
After I cleaned up the lower control arm I noticed one of them had a big backlash, is it junk or is it OK?
I don´t think a new bushing will fix that.
The other one is much tighter.
Any ideas? Watch it in action here:
Movie

Looks about the same as mine that had 70K miles on them.

Found out that the only thing I had not teared apart yet was the steering column, so I disasamled it, gave it some fresh paint and some new grease, will try to buy the lower bearing (if I can find it in Sweden and perhaps a new steering wheel, found a 13,5" walnut wheel that I think will be great.

Attachments

• steering.JPG
    steering.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 774
  • ready.JPG
    ready.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 763
Looking good!!Have you thought about powder coating some things while EVERYTHING is apart??Are there any shops in your area that does powder coating??:munky2:

After I cleaned up the lower control arm I noticed one of them had a big backlash, is it junk or is it OK?
I don´t think a new bushing will fix that.
The other one is much tighter.
Any ideas?

Not sure, but I though I read that you were intending to box the control arms?
I wonder could you pinch the halfs together tighter with clamps before you weld on the plates?
That should tighten things up in most directions...although there is still some wear there I guess.

For my project I have 4 to choose from, but ALL mine are rusted SOLID!!! :(

Hey Swede, looking good. Those lower control arms are fine, when the weight of the car is on them that movement is taken up. The bushing goes inside the round part and the shaft inside that, your rubber one looks a bit crumbly. When you hear about boxing the LCA it keeps them from spreading during extreme driving, during normal driving the strut rod keeps everything in place and the arm moves up and down riding on the rubber bushing. When you box them do as Black63 says and squeeze them together then push out the shaft and replace the bushing inside. Did you get the steering, shifter issue sorted out?

nice too see you back and getting some work done on it.

HEMI-ITIS; I was planning to powder coat it but the companys that offers that sevice is such an a-holes when you bring small parts, they only want to do business with other companys. I painted it in the garage and it looks really nice, even got the glance back on the shiftlever with a little polish.

Coronet 500 and Black 63; thanks for the tips, I set them up in the wise and most of the back lash disapeared, will be great when I get the plates.
I also solved the steering and shifter problem, I adjusted the "cam" plate so it will not slide between reverse and drive without pulling the shifter gently towards you, I don´t know if it is the right thing to do but I want it that way.

AND, got some paint on the k-frame and some other parts, have not decided yet if I shold order the front end kit from PST or from Mancini racing, if I go for Mancini I can get a set of 0.960 torsion bar and some other stuff as well but I don´t know the quality of their bushings. Anyone?

Attachments

• kframe.JPG
    kframe.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:
Swede, Mancini offers Moog parts and you should not hesitate to order from them. They have been around for decades (Mancini has) and they don't sell any junk.

Auto Transport Service
Back