• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My son tells me it's not about the Japanese tuners anymore.

SteveSS

Local time
6:54 AM
Reaction score
He said guys in their early 20's are now going for German imports. Used BMW's Audi's and VW's are more affordable. I haven't seen a big after market following but I see a bunch of guys his age with some pretty nice German cars.

I sure they would all like to have a 1969 Charger but a 10 year old German car is under $5K.

Yeah they like there junk.
Also they like to angle there wheels so there eating the inside thread, I don't get it

Yeah they like there junk.
Also they like to angle there wheels so there eating the inside thread, I don't get it

Since when are the three above mentioned brands considered junk,you're looking on the wrong side of the pond,there is plenty in your own backyard !!!

These young kids can't afford the vintage American muscle cars. For that matter they probably can't often afford the remakes of the challenger, camaro, or mustang or charger. Muscle isn't cheap.

youngsters ,majority,don't want old iron. They want "their" type of bling..face it men....our sport is dying a day at a time.

I told my son he is going to get what I give him. If he don't like it there is the bus or bike.

I call those cars junk because the repair cost and maintenance is very high , I like the v.w. c.c. but to buy it doesn't make sense, you buy one and can't afford to fix anything so in the end there just going to be run down junk . Thanks to the kids ,

- - - Updated - - -

I'll add I'm only 28 so I'm ragging on my generation, I can afford to have 3 cool old mopars and two drivers ,I don't want the we can't afford a old car bull restored 3rd gen chargers start around 12k I couldn't afford a 69 rt charger (still can't) but the cheaper chargers are just as cool and much cheaper

Uh-ohh... somebody's got their panties in a ruffle here... The lighthearted comments were referring to kids getting some older, used beat-up car cheap. Like we used to do. Now, go back and drive your Fiat Strada.

I get what you guys are saying, at my sons highschool there are a lot of old BMW and audi's that have camber on them but there are also a lot of older 80s camaros mustangs and even a 78 trans am, I think old iron is more of a mature taste, when the kids first get their license they just want to zip around going fast, once they settle down they will want to look good doing it then they will buy and old classic car.

I call those cars junk because the repair cost and maintenance is very high , I like the v.w. c.c. but to buy it doesn't make sense, you buy one and can't afford to fix anything so in the end there just going to be run down junk . Thanks to the kids ,

- - - Updated - - -

I'll add I'm only 28 so I'm ragging on my generation, I can afford to have 3 cool old mopars and two drivers ,I don't want the we can't afford a old car bull restored 3rd gen chargers start around 12k I couldn't afford a 69 rt charger (still can't) but the cheaper chargers are just as cool and much cheaper

I must be missing something here,( Quote/ I can afford to have 3 cool old mopars and two drivers ) but can't afford a 69 Charger,please clarify !

It really really boils down to what is it going to take to get the homecoming queen in the prone position.

I don't know what your son is seeing, but around here the kiddies all want Hondas, Acuras, Mitsubishis, and other Jap imports so they can be like their heroes in Fast and Furious. They want light weight, nitrous, strobes, LEDs, and fart can muffler tips, and most of them buy the later three items before buying anything that makes them fast. If you want to race them in your classic car you gotta catch them before 10:00 because after that they've burned off all their nitrous and they won't do anything but bench race.

If you want to see what's hot with today's youth, go down the "Import Performance" isle at Pep Boys. That's where they shop. :) It's the new generation's Honest Charlie's Speed Shop.

The used Bimmers, Audis, etc. are so cheap because people are slowly learning that if anything goes wrong it's going to cost a fortune to fix. I see them in impound auctions all the time because the engine or tranny is toast and the kid can't afford to get it back on the road.

German cars are great as long there is a warranty. after that, watch out.
Regarding young people and what they like, I'm an optimist. my 30 yr old daughter teaches at a major University, and is very well versed in old Mopars. As is her Fiancee. They dream of getting an original 60's Mopar, down to the hubcaps once the job picture improves. Whenever I park the Charger, hubcaps and all, young people comment how nice it is to see an original, not something, lowered, primered, or gubbered up, as they put it. Now, I do notice young people are favoring four doors, and wagons. They love to take a crowd with them, and the big boats win out! At least here in the Midwest. I thank my Daughter for helping me aquire a 71' Demon survivor in San Mateo, as she went there, drove it, looked it over, and gave me a blow by blow. I made the deal later, and the Guy asked "who was that girl?" I told him, and he said she knew more about that car than he did!
You gotta love Mopar loving Daughters!

My friend owns a shop that specializes in these cars mostly and a 2 or $3000 dollar repair bill is the norm most of these cars are 5 to 15 years old and the customers don't even seem to get upset about it . The worst ones are the jaguars and beamers and land rovers the mercedes are not to bad but these cars are labor intensive to work on usually . Last night i sold a carb to a kid on craigslist he pulled up in a bmw and i said that won't fit that joking with him he said he was putting it in a older bmw with a 5.0 roller motor with a T56 trans that should be a fun ride .

Jim maxie ,what I was trying to say is the young guys say they play with those cars because they can't afford a cool old muscle car but all they look at is say a 69 hemi rt charger or a 440 6 pack road runner ,well of course you can't afford those but... There are perfectly good entry level muscle cars out there say a duster or a 3rd gen charger or road runner . Witch you can still get for $1500 bucks or a finished car for 12k or so . And would still be cheaper to build then say a vw golf gti . And you drop a old 440 in a duster and hold on there old bmw s and vw s aren't going that fast . It doesn't make sense to me ,I had one of the coolest and fastest cars in high school(74 charger) and it was cheap and fun ,something broke it was
30-40 bucks not $250 -300 my daily driver is a 2003 Mitsubishi spider (gets 30 mpg and has 245 hp to the wheels) a starter in it cost $ 250
Starter in my old charger $50 bucks or so .

German cars are great as long there is a warranty.

amen brother...

DSC03667.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back