• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need info on paint

KB9GIB

Local time
6:48 AM
Reaction score
hello looking for information i have my sons 72 Demon on a rotisserie how much base paint for the underside and engine bay of the car 1qt 2,3 qts I don’t want to buy to much and have it setting around I don’t know how long it will take me to get the rest of the car ready for paint. Thanks in advance KB9GIB southern Illinois

What color and what brand of paint are you using? And that color sealer are you using?

Thanks for the reply. I’m using SPI primer & clear on the paint I really don’t know shop line is $243.00 a gallon. PPG deltron. is $924.00) I have a email out to motobase. If you have any suggestions I do appreciate it as I been over my head on this who project. Thanks KB9GIB

Thanks for the reply. I’m using SPI primer & clear on the paint I really don’t know shop line is $243.00 a gallon. PPG deltron. is $924.00) I have a email out to motobase. If you have any suggestions I do appreciate it as I been over my head on this who project. Thanks KB9GIB

You ask color is 72 B5 blue. Thanks

That’s what I spray. What I have found is that you save a lot using shopline or Omni base but you will be using twice as much to get the coverage as you would get with deltron. Especially B5 blue. And because of this, I would never spray cheap base. You have to spray 5 coats of cheap base to get the coverage as delton would in 3 coats. Few extra coats means more time dirt will get in the paint job or mistakes. I understand that it’s the bottom of the car so you don’t have to get to carried away. I would also use DX57 if you’re gonna use PPG base. That acts like a binder and it will prevent future problems. It also locks the metallics so when you spray clear, it does not shift the base. You can buy a large amount of base and that base will be good for many many years as long as you don’t catalyzed it. I would say 2 qts (1 gallon sprayable) of base would be enough over light grey. There are a lot to paint.

I think you for your information that’s what’s good about this fourm someone has done it and has good advice. Thanks KB9GIB

Here's my suggestion. I spray PPG products and very familiar with their stuff. Don't go dcc (base/clear) on the bottom or engine compartment. Just use a single stage urathane and the last coat mix in 25% clear. And scatpack is correct, when using base coat don't use the shopline and definitely not Omni, they're both too thin requiring more coats. And don't buy cheap reducer. Buy shop line primer, do single stage deltron on bottom, engine and trunk, use shopline clear if you like, but check the UV in it and use PPG DCC base and DX reducers.

Thanks for your info. If I go single stage on the bottom/ and engine bay/ when I spray the main body will the engine bay match the rest of the car with b coat/c coat. As I said before I think you guys for your knowledge and information I’m just trying to show my son that things can be done if you try so far we have installed quarter panels drop offs trunk pan floor pan. Before this project I have never welded beforethe last pitcher is of the car before we started. KB9GIB

B5A4976A-25BD-4AA9-84EF-AAC1B65CDD47.jpeg 4A615048-FA23-496D-AF96-74B18AB74B9E.jpeg A76EB35B-FB4C-4B59-B4EE-B6D49D6BF812.jpeg 73056F62-80EF-4053-B37E-DA63AE61C4EC.jpeg F0AA3BF7-E9BB-4E42-A20A-6B45566EE9D9.jpeg 910DCF03-3AE5-4D0E-9CD6-A93648E6D3C1.jpeg 0AA3E010-473D-4130-8EE6-2280F0F715C4.jpeg C063C77F-DC48-4030-83E3-DD78DB16DD23.jpeg

Car looks good. Yes the color should match. The only thing to know is if you buff single stage it does alter the metallic some but usually not so much anyone will notice. Single stage on areas not prone to a lot of UV light is a good way to save money and steps in painting. I've done a few cars in that step and most people I know even some painters don't notice .

Auto Transport Service
Back