• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pressure question Please HELP

Loulang

Local time
8:15 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1966 Dodge Charger with a 383 and my oil pressure stays around 25ish. Wanna order a oil pump but there’s two different kinds, a high pressure and a high volume. Which one should I purchase?

Everybody is going to want to know: What are you doing with the motor, cruising or racing, what kind of oil pan, etc...
Stock is best unless you are racing. High volume should have extra capacity oil pan, high pressure for loose clearance, worn engine.

How old is the pump you have now.....original to the engine? Could be that it just needs a new pressure spring in installed....but to answer your question, I've always liked to use a high volume on low rpm engines.

It’s a stock pan and I’m just cruising her and burn a lil rubber here and there. She stays around 25 psi and goes up a little driving it. That’s why I’m wondering if I should do a high pressure pump. I know nothing about this motor other than she runs fine. I’ve drove her 60 miles to the A&W then back with no knocking or pinging.

I’ve just never had a motor with less than 55 psi but this is my first classic

It’s a stock pan and I’m just cruising her and burn a lil rubber here and there. She stays around 25 psi and goes up a little driving it. That’s why I’m wondering if I should do a high pressure pump. I know nothing about this motor other than she runs fine. I’ve drove her 60 miles to the A&W then back with no knocking or pinging.
Are you running an aftermarket gauge or factory? If it's factory, it needs to be verified with a mechanical gauge or has it been reading higher in the past and is now showing lower?

The factory guage and the aftermarket are showing the same. I’ve only had car for a year and drove it this summer about 20 times and pressure has been the same

I just purchased a Holley sniper efi kit for it and just wondering if I should do the high pressure oil pump while I’m messing with the motor.

Standard pump is best. What weight oil?

first I would take out the pressure relief valve and make sure it is clean and not worn. Get a washer the same diameter thet fits in the center of the cap and put that in and see how much higher the pressure is.

Stay with a stock pump if you aren't racing. If you really want to swap make sure you have a deep oil pan or install a windage tray and add an extra quart of oil.

As mentioned above I did the washer trick and it worked fine.

Last edited:
I believe I run the 10 40 with zinc lol I can’t remember and I’m not home for the holidays to go out in garage and look lol. I will give that a try thou thanks

Stay with a stock pump if you aren't racing. If you really want to swap make sure you have a deep oil pan or install a windage tray and add an extra quart of oil. You don't want the HV pump sucking the pan dry.

As mentioned above I did the washer trick and it worked fine.
Did ya get more psi?

Thank I’m gonna try the washer thing, won’t be for a while thou I live by the mackinaw bridge in northern Michigan and there talking 2 1/2 feet of snow by Sunday night. I will post results when I accomplish it

How old is the pump you have now.....original to the engine? Could be that it just needs a new pressure spring in installed....but to answer your question, I've always liked to use a high volume on low rpm engines.
I agree with the high volume.

Yes. It bumped it up to around 50-60 when accelerating. Around 25-30 at idle. Previously it stayed around 25.
If you have 25 at idle and 50 on the freeway then just be happy and keep driving. You don’t need anymore than that. It’s perfect.

If you have 25 at idle and 50 on the freeway then just be happy and keep driving. You don’t need anymore than that. It’s perfect.
I wish it went up to 50 it just stays at 25 maybe goes up to 30 I’m gonna try your washer trick

"Suck the oil pan dry"...,.
The double edge sword of these forums is and will always be that there are bits of great advice sprinkled among stupid responses.

Flawed opinions like that are on par with the "Manifolds are just as good as headers" argument.

There is a lot more that can be causing low oil pressure. How fresh is this engine?

"Suck the oil pan dry"...,.
The double edge sword of these forums is and will always be that there are bits of great advice sprinkled among stupid responses.

Flawed opinions like that are on par with the "Manifolds are just as good as headers" argument.
I'm not saying any opinion is flawed or stupid, but try this.. when changing oil, pour 5 quarts in, and immediately check the dipstick. 95% will be in the pan by the time you get there.
Drainback is not the issue of " drypan " , it's too low of a level to begin with. When the stick says full , add 1 more.

Just a general statement, not aiming at you Kerndog

Auto Transport Service
Back