• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on forged pistons

MikeyT

Local time
4:42 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was hoping to hear people's opinion on a good quality mid level priced flat top with valve reliefs for a 440 would be?

Here is the engine
440 bored 30 over 10.5:1 compression
Stealth heads
Comp xe275hl
Eddy rpm dual plane or Holley street dominator
TTI 1 7/8" with 3 collectors
750 Holley DP

This engine won't turn over. 6K and mostly shift around 5600 rpm

Thanks folks,

Mike

Hey Mike,

I just put a set of Wiseco Pro Tru pistons in my 440. The machine shop cut the decks just enough to square them up, and I ended up with the pistons .020 in the hole with scat H beams. I'm running Sealth heads that I CC'ed, all between 78 and 81 cc as I recall (don't have my notes handy). With a .020 steel shim gasket it works out to 10.5:1 and .040 quench in my application.

I don't know what the list price is, my machinest uses Wiseco exclusively and get a good discount which he passed on to me so I got mine for 525 for the set. I believe they are available in .990 and 1.094 (stock 440 size) pins, I ran the big 1.094. They are full floaters.

I'm running the Comp XS290S solid cam, .540/.558 lift and 252/260 duration at .050. In at 104.5 ICA and even with no head gasket and 0 lash I had about a mile of piston to valve clearance.

you don't have enough cam or carb to make peak power at 6000rpm. i'd say peak power is around 5300rpm. stealth heads need work to get close to their advertised cfm numbers.

you don't have enough cam or carb to make peak power at 6000rpm. i'd say peak power is around 5300rpm. stealth heads need work to get close to their advertised cfm numbers.

Yup...what he said

www.440source.com , on page 5 in the Made In USA section has some 4.350" 0.030" overbore, In Stock Made In USA Platinum Series Pistons 4.350-4FT #4000 for std. 3.75" stroke, w-6.76" rods & 0.990" pins, 1/16-1/16-3/16 rings for less friction all for $599 a set, {not sure the compression height or size of the valve reliefs etc., I would highly suggest that you call & ask}... but that's a pretty damn good price for forged 440 pistons, especially 100% American made stuff... I know allot of people here, hate or dislike, talk smack about 440 source or think they are junk or something, but for a decent price they have decent parts.... for what your doing should be fine

what are your expectations ??

That's a decent price for 440 pistons

depends on how fast you want to go, you may want or need more camshaft...

allot depends on the car, fuel system, valve-train, weight, gears, converter, tires & suspension or even altitude etc., not just the engine or pistons, it's a whole package, not just one item/part...

Good luck, you could also try Mancini Racing they will be about $100-$200 more, to start

Look on Rock auto under 6 pack 440 motor you can get Sealed Power reasonable. Don't worry about peiople who talk **** about 440 Source, most don't even own their stuff. They would be out of business if their stuff was so bad.

IMHO I know people don't like to here it but a hyperutectic piston will work well under 6000 if your going to use the car 97% of the time on street and build so there is really nothing above 6000 that's what I would use, but doesn't leave you room to grow bigger cam, heads, spray, whatever plus more choices and lighter components with forged &more money of course. The magazines really push for using forged everywhere but they are advertiser whores. If your just going to get ice cream then to the car cruise you probably don't need forged racetrack every weekend then yes.

KB hypereutectic piston is a great choice
And excellent bang for your buck
Go for it.

True, but I might throw a 150 shot of NOS at this Engine at some point.

Hyper vs. Forged pistons is all in the heat treating process. Forged pistons have the same possible rate of failure under detonation as Hyper pistons, the difference being that the forging process will allow the Forged pistons to survive longer; for how much longer you cannot be certain as any piston will run into serious problems with long-term detonation. Run a tad rich, have a beyond adequate fuel system, be conservative on timing, and run good premium pump gas and you'll be happy with either choice for quite some time. I am running Hyper pistons with a TURBO on my big block! Don't fall into the hype..

Auto Transport Service
Back