• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pinholes in rockers

rsd859

Local time
2:07 AM
Reaction score
How should I go about fixing the pinholes? Can I cut them off and get the rust off from the inside or just buy new rockers and blast the inside?

Im thinking of having someone do it for me since I dont have a mig anyone know how much that might cost? I want to do it right but I know there is more than one way to do it.

Opinions?

you might want to post a photo so someone might see what you have that needs repaired or replaced :thinker:

pinholes are usually just the lid to whole can of worms. you have to strip it down to bare metal to find out what you really have

pinholes are usually just the lid to whole can of worms. you have to strip it down to bare metal to find out what you really have

Good point!

Blast or hit the panel with a wire wheel and put some snort into it. If she starts opening up like swiss cheese, time to patch/change the panel. If it's isolated to just a few pin holes, weld them up. Regardless, do what super77 says and get it down to bare metal so you can see whats going on underneath that paint.

well, i did in fact take it down to bare metal, and yes i expect many cans of worms on the backside/inside. I will go take some pics and post them up tomorrow.

Thanks guys, I will keep ya posted

Rich

well, i did in fact take it down to bare metal, and yes i expect many cans of worms on the backside/inside. I will go take some pics and post them up tomorrow.

Thanks guys, I will keep ya posted

Rich

if its down to metal and you have holes , it probably going to be ugly on the inside. rockers love to trap moisture and usually works from the inside out. at least from what ive seen.

Ive never had to do this kind of repair so, im kinda nervous to see what lurks ahead. but I will sleep better at night when I know its been fixed right.

normally a small patch panel is better then trying to spot weld holes.more then likely the rust has caused very thin metal in that area and trying to weld will cause bigger holes as you burn through.make sure both sides are down to bare metal to see what is going on.

Rockers are not easy, I'd rather put on a set of quarters. Not to deter you, but patch them if you can. Good luck.

I saw patch panels online somewhere for 17 bucks, Im not aftaid to do work on floors/trunks, but exterior parts freak me out.

I saw patch panels online somewhere for 17 bucks, Im not aftaid to do work on floors/trunks, but exterior parts freak me out.

its about the same.just be a bit more carefull with the welds so they are cleaner.my welding skills suck and i can do it.

IMAG0322.jpgIMAG0323.jpg

Prolly best to get a new entire rocker, and, as Prop said, they ain't easy to change, getting them PERFECTLY straight will effect how the car looks etc.

I agree with the others that said you should replace the outers. At that time you can repair and treat the inners if need be. With the holes you show, I would bet it will be a lot worse once you get into them. And why take a chance of more developing a couple years down the road?

Thanks Guys! Looks like they are gonna get replaced. This is the worst part of my body/shell and it really needs to be fixed right. I appreciate all of the comments.

Rich

Auto Transport Service
Back