• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pondering My 383HP Rebuild

poopdeckpappy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:59 AM
Reaction score
I have a 69 Charger, numbers matching, original drivetrain, complete. It's time to rebuild the motor. I am about to pull my hair out with the limitless possibilities of just the build alone! Should I keep this motor completely original to coincide with the original design of the car? Go with some minimal boring and porting with a mild cam maybe? It's already got the 383 HP motor. I've never heard it run, so don't know what to expect by just freshening up the motor. Somewhere in the back of my head a voice is murmuring something about sacrilegious if I do more than a simple rebuild. Looking to get some serious feedback on this and some pointers in the right direction for gasket sets and any other miscellaneous things a vendor could sell me. Once it's bored, it's changed forever. Please help! Thanks in advance. I seen and heard alot since i've been here and am proud of my Mopars, and I value alot of the opinions of you gentleman.

If you have never heard it run you need to get it to run, do a compression test or a leak down test. It just may need no more than a good tuneup and a good cleanup. I am not a great fan of taking things apart just for the heck of it of it does not need it leave it alone.

I see your point and agree to a certain extent. I am a very inquisitive and eager to learn type who loves to dismantle, investigate, learn, reassemble. Then it becomes a part of me and I know it's condition inside and out. Looking forward to getting to know this motor at the bare minimum.

Leave the 383 intact and set it in the corner of your garage. Find a 400 block and build up a 451. This combo is way more fun to drive and you don't have to worry about ruining the original motor.

Auto Transport Service
Back