• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear sway bar advice

Did you reinforce your k-member?
Yes, got thier re-inforvement plates and welded them in. After all is done, had the K powder coated

20140120_165311.jpg

That sector support seems most beneficial for cars that have not had their K members fully welded and gusseted.
I did both - had the K member seam welded and gusseted and also installed the Sector support. I did them both at the same time, so I'm not sure which one contributes more, but the car handles nicely.

For the rear bar, I went with the 3/4" from Firm Feel, specifically because it is frame hung, so it mounts ABOVE the rear end and axles. I considered Hotchkis like my front bar, but those mount below the rear end.

PST has a 3/4 rear bar paired with 1 1/8 front for the 72 Charger. The QA1 bar I have on the front is 1 1/8, so unless the metal is different, it should match well with PST's 3/4 rear. It would be nice to know if PST's rear sway bar bushings are polygraphite or polyurethane. Polygraphite is the main selling point for PST's stuff IMO. PST doesn't sell polygraphite rear end link or sway bar bracket bushings separately though. They do have polygraphite front end links, and 7/8 front sway bar bracket bushings. Surely the front polygraphite end link bushings would also work on the rear. I don't know if the 7/8 front sway bar bushings would work in the rear with a 7/8 bar. What would the difference be?

For the rear bar, I went with the 3/4" from Firm Feel, specifically because it is frame hung, so it mounts ABOVE the rear end and axles. I considered Hotchkis like my front bar, but those mount below the rear end.
Firm Feel

20200211_203224.jpg

Who has a picture of the PST/Addco bar or factory bar mounted?

Did you have to drill the holes for the sway bar brackets? I don't recall seeing holes there.
yes, when I had mine mounted, the suspension shop let me check it out and they drilled mounting holes on the rear frame rails of the unibody to bolt it in.

yes, when I had mine mounted, the suspension shop let me check it out and they drilled mounting holes on the rear frame rails of the unibody to bolt it in.

I like that the bar is mounted high, but I have to admit modifying the subframe scares me a little. I'd want to take this job to someone who's done a few of them.

I like that the bar is mounted high, but I have to admit modifying the subframe scares me a little. I'd want to take this job to someone who's done a few of them.
it's only a few holes drilled on each side and no big deal. It's not enough to compromise any strength and the ends where the holes are have two large U-shaped support brackets so after install it's plenty strong. It was easier using the lift at the shop and they let me watch while they did it. It took some careful angling to snake it in up over the rear end, but they were able to get it installed without removing anything else, no rear end removal or anything. I took it to a shop that specializes in suspension and works on both classic older as well as new cars, but they had never installed one of these on an old mopar before.

Here's an example photo from another forum. You can see the support mounting bracket on each side.
swayrear3.jpg

Thanks for posting that pic! I purchased a set of those sway bar end link plates from Firm Feel but I had no idea how the plates mounted, or how the sway bar mounted. Now I've looked at how PST's bar mounts -

PST_sway_bar_installation.jpeg

- and I can see I'm in for drilling holes in the subframe regardless. That must be how Chrysler did it, so I suppose it's o.k. I'm concerned about measuring the location of the holes precisely enough, but perhaps it's obvious where the brackets go when you look at it.

I have to say I like Firm Feel's sway bar end link plates better than the little PST adapter plate that is only held on by one nut. It doesn't look like PST's bar would be compatible with Firm Feel's end link plates though - or with the factory plates, I assume. That is an odd decision - presumably guys with factory sway bars would want to upgrade to a stiffer bar, but use their factory end link plates.

I think I may like PST's way of mounting the sway bar bracket on the subframe better, although I didn't at first. It looks like Firm Feel's brackets bolt on from the side, which is four more holes in the subframe. On top of that, you have all that area between the bracket and the subframe for water, salt, and gunk to get into and create rust. I could live with it, since my roads don't get salted all that often and I don't plan to drive the car in bad weather anyway - but it's not a concern at all with PST's design.

Well it looks like I am locked into Firm Feel's rear sway bar, unless I want to sell these Firm Feel end link plates that I rather like. Which means I need to come up with a larger sway bar that fits inside the QA1 k member and strut rods. Anyone know how big the Hotckis front sway bar for 72 is?

72 and laters already have the holes for the brackets on frame rail. Stock brackets and location can be used if adding the rear sway bar

72 and laters already have the holes for the brackets on frame rail. Stock brackets and location can be used if adding the rear sway bar

I'm glad you posted. I was looking at the frame rails today and spotted these holes -

52_sway_bar_bracket_holes_72_Charger.JPG

I'm looking for a pic with the factory mounted sway bar. I found this one -

factory_sway_bar.jpeg

The sway bar brackets are mounted lower on the frame than what 68 Sport Satellite has, but it still looks higher than my factory mounting holes.

About these Firm Feel swaybar end link plates -

53_Firm_Feel_swaybar_end_link_plate.JPG

Firm Feel's description says - " These are direct OE replacements for the factory style plates. They mount between the axle and leaf springs to allow you to install a factory rear sway bar."

I don't understand how these can be used with a factory style sway bar mounted near the bottom of the frame rail.

If I can use them though, that would be great. I could get on with reinstalling the rear end and fuel tank, and worry about putting the sway bar in later.

If I have to go the Firm Feel sway bar route though, it looks like it would be best to put that in before anything else.

Found this Firm Feel sway bar installed on user BigFlo's car -

FirmFeel_sway_bar.jpeg

This looks like it is mounted same as the one in my previous post - is it possible 68 Sport Satellite's bar is not installed correctly? His sway bar brackets are right up next to the bump stops.

View attachment 1461850

This looks like it is mounted same as the one in my previous post - is it possible 68 Sport Satellite's bar is not installed correctly? His sway bar brackets are right up next to the bump stops.
That's how FF designs it, same as mine

View attachment 1461850

that photo I posted is not of my car. It's an E-body, but the mounting location on my 68 Satellite is in the same general location.
Best thing for you to do is call Dick at Firm Feel. He'll clarify everything and is very nice to talk to.

That's how FF designs it, same as mine

Your sway bar brackets are way up by the bump stops as well (on a b body?)
yours is same as the photo of BigFlo's car or like the one of the E-body I posted?

Here's where the mounting holes are on my 72 Charger -

52_sway_bar_bracket_holes_72_Charger.JPG

About as far away as they can be from the bump stops, without being on the bottom of the frame rail.

Auto Transport Service
Back