• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rumbles ride

rumblefish360

Local time
6:35 PM
Reaction score
I have allways like the later B body cars. Not a damn thing wrong with the older ones at all. But I also don't think the newer ones get any thought or looks. Though mine is different being a 2 year run nameplate, it will every once in awhile, get noticed for what it is.

I introduce to you, my 1979 Magnum;

101_0063.jpg

101_0064.jpg

101_0074.jpg

101_0065.jpg

101_0076.jpg

View attachment 318346

View attachment 318347

A Cordoba by any other name lol

I always liked the styling of the Magnums. I liked the "Cord" inspired grills in them. Never driven one, but made a mad dash across town once cause someone told me about a Magnum GT they saw for sale.

was gone when I got there

A little rusty, alittle crusty, all mine, this project car turned everyday driver was picked up off the 1 and only owner whom purchased it new for himself.

After many years of service and well documented record keeping, even light bulb replacements, he told me he handed it over to his daughter for collage for 4 years. And then his son for 4 more years. Both atteneded schools upstate New York.

I live on the Island and it will take you an hour to get off this damn sand bar without crazy traffic. His kids did come home on the weekends since they were only a 2 - 2-1/2 hours away. And of course, kids being kids, they drive everywhere and record nothing but memories and good times...........and a few tickets.

He then used the car for approx. a 10 year run as a daily comuter from his house to NYC where he is a fireman. I know the miles, it's 50 one way to work for him, 100 daily, 500 weekly, get the picture?

Well, he stopped recording in 1989 with over 300,000 miles on it before the kids got it. Hummmmmm, just how many miles are on that 318? I don't know, but this could be a 1/2 million mile engine.

While collecting parts for this project, I came across a '78 Cordoba. And since it was to be modified some, and the Cordoba had a P code 400 that comes with the 727 and a 9-1/4 w/3.21 sure grip equiped rear that is all a bolt in ........... Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm................

Yep, the 318 made way for the 400. It's on!

Heres a few better shots.

101_0066.jpg

101_0067.jpg

101_0292.jpg

101_0290.JPG

101_0289.JPG

View attachment 318348

View attachment 318349

View attachment 318350

View attachment 318351

View attachment 318352

View attachment 318353

View attachment 318391

View attachment 318392

View attachment 318393

View attachment 318394

Funny you mention that. That's the next part of this little tale.

I spied the car for sale in a local paper for $500. I was like, screw it, WTF, I'll go look, you never know.

Advertised as a "GT", I get there and said "I have only one question, I don't mean to sound like or be an *** about the car, it is sold for the price, no argument, but you did advertise it as a "GT" and........."

I was cut off by a way of the hand, which opened the door to reveal the GT stripe inside the door. He came out and said he had been hit a few times. (LOL, maybe, ... 3 times. I don't know, but theres alot of replacement panels going on there!)

He told me he purchased it off the showroom floor and it had stripes on it with a pair on the hood that ended in a GT at the bottom. HEY! OK and ALLLLLLLLLLLLLRIGHTY THEN!!

I'm good. here the cash! And home I went, smilin big. This is my second one. My first one, you would not be able to tell the difference between them sitting side by side. Seriously, I mean that.

The only differenceis that I grabed another K-frame and used a swap kit to install the big block. The old K-frame looked like this;

101_0047.jpg

101_0048.jpg

101_0049.jpg

101_0050.jpg

101_0051.jpg

View attachment 318355

View attachment 318356

Now that I have a mig welder, I can save these things if need be. It really isn't hard to do. Makeing it look good when your done is hard when you don't weld often. Since I didn't have a welder at the time, but enuff money to get a K-frame else where, a dude by the screen name Carbide6 from the style took the time and sent me a 99.5% rust free K-frame and I sent it out for a blasting and epoxy coating.
(Next time I do it myself!)

101_0053.jpg

101_0052.jpg

101_0068.jpg

101_0070.jpg

View attachment 318357

View attachment 318358

View attachment 318359

View attachment 318360

View attachment 318361

View attachment 318362

View attachment 318559

View attachment 318560

View attachment 318561

View attachment 318562

I couldn't get rid of the 318/904 for free. It's amazing that even when it was for free, people still wanted something extra in the deal in order to take it away.
SO! The 318/904 became a new project since the Magnum is an everyday driver. You now how it is to work on something you use everyday right? A PAIN!

AND, while being bored, a glutton for punishment, I got a '74 Duster and used the 318 as a show you all project that can be seen here; http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508&page=1&pp=20
They'll be updates on it soon. I'm doing floor pans now, carpet & dash cap on the way.

Last edited:
Wow...that is one trashed K and one trashed duster. I thought the floors in my Sedan were trash (and they are) and the lower quarters. and the bottoms of the front fenders. and maybe the bottom of the doors..........

On the other hand, the rails and trunk floor are good

That Duster isnt Trashed, Thats L.I. sheet metal at its finest ! My Barracuda was pretty solid till I moved to the Island for 2 years, Got back to CT and it had no rockers left.

Ha ha ha, you all have a point there. L.I. has some salty roads and weather and beachs, lots-o-beach here. You can smell it in the air miles away if the wind is right. No joke. But thats my hell I have to deal with. Some of you other guys have, oh, I don't know, tornado's, hurricanes, stupid hot heat that you'll never convince me dry heat isn't so bad. OH, retarded amount of snow falls in some places. Not so here. I do mean it can dump 2-2-1/2 in a pop, but that doesn't happen alot. Rare actually, but it does happen from time to time.

On that Duster thread, I'll be posting pictures in about a week. I have the drivers floor pan up next and the passenger is done. Rears are on there way with Carpet and dash cap.

The nice thing is ... so far ... the pans covered more area than what is rotted. So I just traced the pan, subtracted about an inch and cut out the shape. Presto, new floor pan and looking good. Welded it up and seam sealed it, then a little rust encapsulator on top of everything. And under, inbetween and over it again.

I ditched the seats seen in the thread to try and hook up beige 01 Chrysler Concord seats. Not to shabby, 6 way power and comfy.

The real trick is the outside rear 1/4's. Since I never done this before and my welding skills are close to Fido's *** after a week long drinking binge and Taco Bell feast!!!!

Hey, I know it looks bad, but it's all melted togther real good.

Ah, your welding will improve as you go........no worries from the looks of it.....when you do that much welding, it gets easier and better.........

Have you thought about a paint scheme? Street sleeper, 2 tone, ??? ........and I'm not up to snuff on that 400........What kind of HP do you expect?

Same showroom floor paint sceme again. I really like the stripe and hood treatment. The only other color option is a two tone black and silver. That is an eye popping combo.
Look below.

What I wanted to do was ..... heads up, pipe dream coming back alive........

A 500 (Or so) cube engine, lay on an Indy top end if the intake could fit in. (I have a feind that would be nice enuff to let me use his stuff to mock it up over the winter) and hook up a hair drier style blower with intercooler. The super charger store would take care of that part. Cam would have been moderate for useage with a heavy car but pushing it is what I like to do.
(Yes, that also creates nightmares, but this is what I do and figure out.)

The trans would have been swaped for a 5 spd tremac and pistol grip.
I would have left the rear as it is in it's current state with the 3.55's.
If it proved an ill choice, I'd do a DANA or Moser Ford style 9 w/4.10's.
Tub the rear and move the axle springs in.

Right now, the 400 is getting tired and eating a quart of oil every tank. 200 miles. It's about ready for the valve seals to be done. Since it is a '78 engine, it did have when new of course, 190 hp @ 3600 & 305 lbs. of torque @ 3200 rpm's. (Chiltons ref.)

A healty engine with Headman Elete headers with a 2-1/2 inch H piped exhaust and upgraded ignition with an MP unsilenced air cleaner should pump up and out a good 30 HP or more. But I just think it isn't so. Also I'm running a Carter Comp series 750. The T-Q cracked. I have a replacement, but have not got there yet. No rush in doing so ethier.

I think it was car and driver, or equal of the day, grabbed a '78 big block Magnum and ran the 1/4 with it. I do not remember exactly the speed throught the traps, low to mid 90's in mph, but the 1/4 times were somewhere, IIRC, around the mid 14's.
I have the same basic set up I have. 400/727/9-1/4 W/3.55's.
I know my tires are slightly larger @ 245/60/15's than the tested Magnum of the day. But it is not a big deal.

I need to tune the car a bit better. When I stab it like the ripper, it dumbs down and then takes off. I can walk it out OK. On the street it isn't as bad. Once warmed up right good, it'll spin some tires. But not till fully warmed up. Which was the main issue at the track. The Chrysler big blocks like to be really warmed up. Just sit and idle for awhile. I noticed, the longer I run the car, the better it performs everywhere.

My track numbers from E-town last month from the Atlantic MP nat.'s are;

............Rt..........60ft.......1/4.....mph
run#1....1.923......2.631...15.956...88.37
run#2....R/Lght.....3.205...16.584...88.26
run#3....813.........2.45....15.782...88.61

fostermagnum1.jpg

That black and silver scheme is OUTRAGEOUS.........Now I'm stinkin' jealous..............

Maybe I can get the wife to sell the Buick and get one for our daily driver....

Her face would look something like this....:eek:

See, I told ya it looked killer. Eye popping and for surely a catcher like fly paper. IMO that is. The "GT" models have fender flares. Extremely hard to find. Last set I seen was old used crack but in very good shape that was priced at $500.

I do believe the car above has the GT wheels.

These forgotten B bodies go on the cheap side. Aftermarket parts are near an absoulte zero and theres really no demand for them save a few flag wavers like me. The nice part about these Late B body cars is they will accept ealry B body parts. Some without modification, most with minimal mods.

Some parts, if had in full, like a rear end for example, the whole thing from springs on down can be swapped in from an earlier B body. It is a bolt in. Exhaust can be tricky due to large feul tanks. 20+ gallons. Except the '79 which is 18 gallon. But you can use a Road Runner system from front to rear.

These cars will respond just like any other MoPar when you appraoch it the same way save the few odd parts or minor mod in a swap. The one and only thing I say that must be done is an ignition swap to at least the min. of a MoPar Orange box set up kit. The stock carb has no provision IIRC for the vacuum advance. (Enter aftermarket carb?) But that "Lean Burn" set up is dangerous. They will just simply cut out while driving down the road.

I bought the "X" a 78 Magnum XE, 400 B/Block car. Red interior with buckets and white exterior. Pretty car like yours. I did a stock rebuild on a 440, put headers on it and she raced it on club clash nights. Only managed low 16's. OK for an over two ton tank!
It was a Colorado car and in very decent shape. I wish I still had it.

Nice comfortable dailey driver you have there rumble!

Thanks and welcome aboard the site.

The 400 in there now is very tired and I have to change out plugs often. It's a real nice daily driver. Better when gas was a $1.30 for regular. I could handle the mileage with that price! Building a S/B for it now 360/727.

I'll be real happy when I can tear it down for a proper work effort on it.

It's possible to get these heavies moving. The 68 Satellite 9 passenger wagon I built with a 440+6, auto, 3.55, P/S, P/B, and A/C went a best of 14.74 @ 94.6 weighing 4580 empty

It's possible to get these heavies moving. The 68 Satellite 9 passenger wagon I built with a 440+6, auto, 3.55, P/S, P/B, and A/C went a best of 14.74 @ 94.6 weighing 4580 empty

I don't deny it, they can be made to move. This one happened to have a 2.73 something rear end and was @ 5,200' altitude. It was just a low compression real mild rebuild.

Rumble, thank's for the welcome! I also hang out on FABO as well as BBD. All nice sights. I love the 66 to 72 b bodies!

Wow. It ain't goin nowhere with 2.73's. That's running pretty good then

Auto Transport Service
Back