• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

self etching primer question?

Terry Kitzman

Local time
6:09 PM
Reaction score
Hi, I've got a charger with some small existing repairs. Otherwise the rest of the body is down to metal. When I'm spraying my SEM etching primer can I spray the existing filler? Another question, Should I spray on my primer before I do my filler? Thank you.

Filler either goes on metal or over epoxy. Check the tech sheets for each product your using and it will tell you what things can go over the other.

Hi, I've got a charger with some small existing repairs. Otherwise the rest of the body is down to metal. When I'm spraying my SEM etching primer can I spray the existing filler? Another question, Should I spray on my primer before I do my filler? Thank you.
You can have over spray over top but just like any primer you need a good surface prep and clean.
I would not use self etch as my primer over filler
Don't get the existing filler wet unless you have enough time to let it dry out before any top coat.
You can apply filler over bare metal as long as the car will not set long with those areas exposed.
Filler takes on water like a sponge.
On a project car I would use a good epoxy primer to keep it sealed up. Even in this dry air during winter flash rust will start.
get it sealed up do your filler work then lay on some high build for blocking.

Epoxy first then filler then seal with epoxy again. Finally multiple coats of 2K.

Make sure you do not touch bare metal without immediate cleaning with a good solvent cleaner otherwise finger prints will show thru. Make sure you use a different color epoxy vs 2k so if you sand thru 2k you wont break the epoxy coat thru to metal

Last edited:
You can have over spray over top but just like any primer you need a good surface prep and clean.
I would not use self etch as my primer over filler
Don't get the existing filler wet unless you have enough time to let it dry out before any top coat.
You can apply filler over bare metal as long as the car will not set long with those areas exposed.
Filler takes on water like a sponge.
On a project car I would use a good epoxy primer to keep it sealed up. Even in this dry air during winter flash rust will start.
get it sealed up do your filler work then lay on some high build for blocking.
Do you guys think I should ditch the self etching primer And go for epoxy primer?

Yep Terry, Myself I am not a fan of the self etch primers.
We use PPG / Deltron products, for sure there are others just as good but everyone likes what they like lol.
Also I don't cross mix product brands, whatever line of supplies/ paint products you use stay with them from primer to clear coat.

Primers are kind of wierd these days.. some are DTM ( direct to metal ) and some are Not.. Etch primer was designed back in the day for panels that had Zinc coating . I like the idea of Epoxy primer... it just creates a good foundation for everything on top.. use it properly.. Nothing will bubble up or create any issues.. Etch primer I find is okay for small repairs on panels.. But it has to be used properly .. Dont use the rattle can stuff , it can make all your efforts go sideways in a short period of time.. . use the proper Products.. as mentioned above . stay with a main brand all the way through.. using different brand products just dont mix well...

Etch primer is for bare metal. The acid in it only reacts with bare metal , nothing else. If you were priming a bare metal panel or shell, etch primer would be fine. If you're shooting a primer over various types of surfaces - bare metal, fillers and paint - then epoxy is the way to go. Nowadays I only use rattle can etch primer on small totally stripped parts so I don't have to mix up a batch of epoxy for just a couple items. Anything else gets epoxy.

Auto Transport Service
Back