• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shower grab bars......

I know it's confusing because sometimes I talk about geology and the oil business and sometimes about industrial design. I have degrees in both and have worked many years in each field. I just didn't want you to think I was full of sheet when I talk about the different fields.

1682994009274.png

As others have advised, never trust a "surface mount" bar - wall studs, please.
In my various recoveries over the last several years, I've found the top rail of the sliding
doors on our shower quite useful, since I ran a length of sch.40 pipe tight to the top channel
of it for reinforcement that mounts to wall studs on either side.
I did that originally as an overabundance of caution for the install of the heavy doors - but
it's wound up being right handy at stabilizing my own 260lb frame, too.

There are a couple of steps from my attached garage up into my house. I put an assist bar beside the house entry door after I had both of my knees replaced. It helps a lot both going up into the house and down into the garage. I had medical coverage, and it paid for it.

If I remember right I put the inside metal plate on 16" centers with 3 screws in each plate. There might have been a 2-foot long one so you could angle it and it 16" centers or hit 24-inch centers if it was horizontally mounted. I once saw an older lady using the suction cup one on the inside of a front windshield as a grab handle for entering her van. I use mine to hang an electric Christmas wreath in the front window. In our research, we found there were a lot of similarities between baby and senior safety products. My other main clients were Bass Pro Shops, Zebco/Quantum/MotorGuide, Hestton, and other farm machinery companies. Blitz did the famous gas can everyone loves to hate. I designed the shape but it was the spout./nozzle that made it so despised. Lots and lots of other stuff. If you ever have an idea for a product PM me. I'll help if I can.

I once got to stay in Johnny Morris' (BPS) bachelor pad where he entertained his Playboy Bunnies. I was with my wife.

Weeeeell, gonna attach at least one in my shower because I think I need one. Anyone else?? There's plenty of things to grab onto out in the shop when needed and there's been a time or two that they were handy. One for instance are the 'handles' on my Miller welding machine lol. Dayam, sucks getting old!! And especially after having a beer or so..... :lol:
I did this long ago and it wasn't due to
one too many. I can sympathize
though, and it's a smart move.
I have back problems and found it
easier to exit the shower with the
grab handles mounted horizontally.
(tried them both ways)
I get more lifting leverage when they're
mounted horizontal. 8" bars, 33" above
the floor, mounted solidly to the studs.
Broken bones are no fun at all.

If it were me, and I was retro-fitting one...

I'd find the studs (provided they are wood) and drill through the tile (or plastic) shower surround into the studs, then mount that bar to the studs.

Of course, seal around the mounting holes.

Wife and I have had this conversation over the past month or so. We have decided to replace both of our showers that have grab bars. The plumbing supply store recommended higher toilets to.

Well, what I'm getting is something that is bonded to the shower wall and is approve by.....kain't remember but is supposed to be pretty dang good so we'll see. Has great ratings too. I'm not an invalid.....yet.....but don't want to be anytime soon and need something to steady myself.....especially after 'having a few' :D
A bar is for hanging your whole weight on if needed. I just hope the shower wall itself is SOLIDLY attached to the studded wall . I've installed a few and you only want to drill holes in the wall once. Mount it diagonally if need be to hit two studs. Just my opinion

I've mentioned in other posts that my wife has been around the block with adaptive equipment, currently not using anything, which I think is to her detriment, but it's her call. Observing her experience, best shower tool in terms of risk/benefit was a shower seat. The standard medical supply stuff has drawbacks, mainly bulk, and the tendency to hold water in the legs, because of the adjustment holes. Gets pretty nasty with regular use. We ended up using a planter stand - small, inexpensive, and easy to keep clean.

The seat cuts the risk of a fall, and you haven't got as far to go if you have a mishap at that level. We had the issue with fiberglass shower housing and securing handles, ended up taking them out of the equation. We've had a hand held shower head for over a decade.

I remember laughing about those old commercials "Help, I've fallen and can't get up." Not so funny anymore. Neighbor lady of my mother had slipped getting out of the tub falling half in and and out over the edge of the tub and she laid like this for - six hours. Nobody heard her screams and she lost that ability soon. Her daughter was late stopping over that day.

My MIL lived alone in her house 300 yards from us across a field and was starting to use a walker. We got her that service that would call for help, a call button thing. We were 1st on the call list being close by. One morning I'm in the garage as usual. It faced MIL's house. I heard sirens in the distance and next thing I see is one police squad, another one, and another, then paramedics racing up to her house. Call out for my wife to get over there with the house key before they were going to have to bust down the door. She fell in the kitchen tangled up in her walker. Somehow the service called 911, not us, there was some reason they did I can't recall offhand.

All this hoopla scared the crap out of her and never returned to her house, wanting to go to a senior living center. She had stayed in the house for years after her husband passed having us close by, but this episode was a game changer for her.

I remember laughing about those old commercials "Help, I've fallen and can't get up." Not so funny anymore. Neighbor lady of my mother had slipped getting out of the tub falling half in and and out over the edge of the tub and she laid like this for - six hours. Nobody heard her screams and she lost that ability soon. Her daughter was late stopping over that day.

My MIL lived alone in her house 300 yards from us across a field and was starting to use a walker. We got her that service that would call for help, a call button thing. We were 1st on the call list being close by. One morning I'm in the garage as usual. It faced MIL's house. I heard sirens in the distance and next thing I see is one police squad, another one, and another, then paramedics racing up to her house. Call out for my wife to get over there with the house key before they were going to have to bust down the door. She fell in the kitchen tangled up in her walker. Somehow the service called 911, not us, there was some reason they did I can't recall offhand.

All this hoopla scared the crap out of her and never returned to her house, wanting to go to a senior living center. She had stayed in the house for years after her husband passed having us close by, but this episode was a game changer for her.
The county has a senior program where they call every so often....the 'senior' can sign up for daily calls or once a week and anything in between and it's available to anyone 55 and up. I got on it some time back mainly because of my little doggies....didn't want to croak or worse and have them run out of food and water for who knows how long before anyone noticed I wasn't around any longer. Being alone does suck at times but rather that than have someone that's here and nags ya all the time :D

Believe it or not but reinvented the suction cup handles. My client was a company called Mommy's Helper Inc. Basically I took the cheapo suction cup glass handlers and made them into something that looked at home inside a person's home. I did the ones you see everywhere. They show the brand name of MHI so it doesn't look like a baby product. I designed a variant of it with a built-in metal substrate with pre-drilled holes. I'm not sure if they ever produced that one. The suction cup ones work well but always give them a test pull first. Yes they are sold as a "Martial Aide" too. There's a photo but I can't show it here.

View attachment 1458901

There was one of these left when I moved into my house, I was thinking on trashing it, but kept it instead. Glad I did! Until I get a new hip joint, I'm using it to help get off the crapper! Good Luck

Wife and I have had this conversation over the past month or so. We have decided to replace both of our showers that have grab bars. The plumbing supply store recommended higher toilets to.
Wife and I had ADA height toilets installed in 2005 when we replaced the originals. Didn't need them at the time, but they turned out to be a great decision just a few years later.

Those certainly look better and much less creepy than the plastic seat spacers.

because of my little doggies.
You’re a good person Cranky; thinking about your little best buddy’s. Yeah we never know when our ticket gets punched and even if one doesn’t have health issues. Couple times I can recall da close ones where I might a had my ticky punched. I’m certain I’m in a lot of company here. I think falls are the leading cause of death for folks over 65.

Allow me to share a ‘fall’ story pls. My dad was pretty lucky making it to 94 with some of the stuff he did. We thought he had nine lives. In their old house, he had built a pantry in the basement stairwell. He mounted hinged drop platforms over the stairs, three platform section as the floor, with a large stowage cabinet at the back stairwell wall. I was around 12 then. He warned us never to leave any of those drop panels open; if one was down, have them all down. Years later we were in our own home as my folks were prepping to move out and I’m on the phone with my mother discussing the move chores. She called out to my dad with a question; he was in the stairwell with only the 1st panel down. Her call distracted him, so he later said, next thing is weird smacking noises and my mother screaming.

Yep, he fell off the platform down to the stairs and to the basement floor with a box-knife in his hand. I had our 1st daughter, infant at the time. Wife was out shopping. We lived about 15 minutes away. Next door lady who occasionally baby sat for us was home and got her there quick. My dad was in his recliner by the time I got there still bleeding, refusing to see a doc, typical for him. He broke his nose causing most of the blood, wondering if he stabbed himself with the knife. Geez, the amount of blood was unreal on the floor. Took me over a half hour to clean it up. Wondered if he had any blood left in his body. He said leave me alone, don’t need to see a doc. He was fine after a few smokes and a beer and or martini, lol.

You’re a good person Cranky; thinking about your little best buddy’s. Yeah we never know when our ticket gets punched and even if one doesn’t have health issues. Couple times I can recall da close ones where I might a had my ticky punched. I’m certain I’m in a lot of company here. I think falls are the leading cause of death for folks over 65.

Allow me to share a ‘fall’ story pls. My dad was pretty lucky making it to 94 with some of the stuff he did. We thought he had nine lives. In their old house, he had built a pantry in the basement stairwell. He mounted hinged drop platforms over the stairs, three platform section as the floor, with a large stowage cabinet at the back stairwell wall. I was around 12 then. He warned us never to leave any of those drop panels open; if one was down, have them all down. Years later we were in our own home as my folks were prepping to move out and I’m on the phone with my mother discussing the move chores. She called out to my dad with a question; he was in the stairwell with only the 1st panel down. Her call distracted him, so he later said, next thing is weird smacking noises and my mother screaming.

Yep, he fell off the platform down to the stairs and to the basement floor with a box-knife in his hand. I had our 1st daughter, infant at the time. Wife was out shopping. We lived about 15 minutes away. Next door lady who occasionally baby sat for us was home and got her there quick. My dad was in his recliner by the time I got there still bleeding, refusing to see a doc, typical for him. He broke his nose causing most of the blood, wondering if he stabbed himself with the knife. Geez, the amount of blood was unreal on the floor. Took me over a half hour to clean it up. Wondered if he had any blood left in his body. He said leave me alone, don’t need to see a doc. He was fine after a few smokes and a beer and or martini, lol.
Wow....that sounds like my dad was but he would go to a doctor if he thought he needed to but most times, he didn't need to....according to him.

Auto Transport Service
Back