• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shower grab bars......

My mom, Haldis, is 93 in June. She has a Med alert necklace. She slipped going up some steps and fell backward a short distance, 3 steps, like 6-10 feet. The computer in her necklace recognized it as a fall. They called and she didn't answer so they sent an ambulance. Pretty amazing.

Wife and I have had this conversation over the past month or so. We have decided to replace both of our showers that have grab bars. The plumbing supply store recommended higher toilets to.
Go with the tall toilets. We did, and so much easier to use for us tall old people. Bad knees and hips will thank you if you have them. It's surprising how much difference the 2" difference between standard vs chair height toilets makes!

When Billy's 85 year old mom lived with us, she had a Lifeline medical necklace, and Care All Home Health Services would come over a couple times a week to check her over and handle her personal care.

A worker would give her a bath, always leaving a pile of soaking wet towels on the bathroom floor.

Billy went in the house one afternoon and found his mother in the kitchen in a huge pool of blood! She had fallen, hitting her head we believe on the refrigerator or freezer door handle. Still pressing on her chest, she told him, "I kept pushing the button but they never came!"

For the first time since she got it, she wasn't wearing the Lifeline necklace.

The ambulance carted her off to the hospital.

That night, I discovered her Lifeline necklace ... buried in the big pile of wet towels I had tossed into the basement the day before to wash. Saying I was absolutely livid is an understatement.

Those things are ADVERTISED to be waterproof, and why any licensed health care worker who focused on the elderly wouldn't know that -- or worse yet, remove it during one of THE most crucial times when it can save a life -- was a mystery to us.

No one in authority at Care All could explain why it was taken off. They even tried to deny the "bath lady" was here but paperwork proved otherwise.

His mom never recovered and passed away at the hospital a month and one day later.

Learn from our mistake.

Rest In Peace Vert! We miss you.

Go with the tall toilets. We did, and so much easier to use for us tall old people. Bad knees and hips will thank you if you have them. It's surprising how much difference the 2" difference between standard vs chair height toilets makes!
We remodeled the house around 2003 and put them in but still have a standard one out in the shop's bathroom. At least that room is small and can grab onto the sink and even the doorknob if needed. If both of those let loose, there's still a towel bar within reach lol

Part of the reason for installing bar on outside of shower (vertical) I will be able to grab bottom of bar to help out with that. Geez, can’t believe we are discussing this.

Part of the reason for installing bar on outside of shower (vertical) I will be able to grab bottom of bar to help out with that. Geez, can’t believe we are discussing this.

Any topic we can learn from each other about is worthy in my opinion.

When Billy's 85 year old mom lived with us, she had a Lifeline medical necklace, and Care All Home Health Services would come over a couple times a week to check her over and handle her personal care.

A worker would give her a bath, always leaving a pile of soaking wet towels on the bathroom floor.

Billy went in the house one afternoon and found his mother in the kitchen in a huge pool of blood! She had fallen, hitting her head we believe on the refrigerator or freezer door handle. Still pressing on her chest, she told him, "I kept pushing the button but they never came!"

That night, I discovered her Lifeline necklace ... buried in the big pile of wet towels I had tossed into the basement the day before to wash. Saying I was absolutely livid is an understatement.

Those things are ADVERTISED to be waterproof, and why any licensed health care worker who focused on the elderly wouldn't know that -- or worse yet, remove it during one of THE most crucial times when it can save a life -- was a mystery to us.

No one in authority at Care All could explain why it was taken off. They even tried to deny the "bath lady" was here but paperwork proved otherwise.

His mom never recovered and passed away at the hospital a month and one day later.

Learn from our mistake.

Unfortunately, most people that are employed by the Eldercare places aren't very well paid and/or qualified. My Mom recently visited her cousin in an expensive nursing home facility. She found him filthy, near death, and with an empty oxygen canister in the floor beside his bed. He was supposed to be on the damn oxygen! She called in the gov't agency in charge of this kind of stuff and then the family moved him to a different facility. He is doing OK now. There "may" be charges pressed against the nurse that unhooked the bottle and didn't replace it... But I expect nothing will come of it.

Learn from our mistake.

So sorry for Billy's and your loss! There's just way too many stories like this that are floating around about health care so called 'professionals'....it's nuts. Then the company wants to deny any wrong doings. Pisses me off so much!

Ok, one more thing. When I had drywall off in that area, electrical wiring is near the area where my bar will be, due to receptacle in bedroom.

Those "alert button" necklace things can vary quite radically from one brand and service provider to the next.

Apparently there are thousands of different devices and services all competing for your wallet or the medicare subsidy.

The first one my 83 year old mother got would "go off" in the middle of the night, while it was on the charger, and in the middle of the day it would sound a VERY LOUD alarm that it was discharged, despite claiming only needing charged once a week.

The sent her three and all did the same thing.

No one in authority at Care All could explain why it was taken off.
Another series of reasons why none of us want to end up in a ‘care’ facility. Damn, having relatives and friends end up there – FEW good stories. My uncle had MS eventually dying from it. The ‘care’ he received was typically pathetic, same story when he spent time in a VA hospital. My God walking by rooms was a horror story. My uncle was 100+ miles from us. My mother would drive there weekly despite working FT, to visit him, spending a good part of the visit just cleaning him up and moving his body to a more comfortable position as he eventually couldn’t move at all. Half off the bed, snot hanging from his nose, and worse. Always excuses from staff “We just checked on him.” Shitty deal from any angle.

MIL went to a ‘nice’ facility and having money, she pays – 13 GRAND/month. Yeah, it’s nicer; but some of the stories about care/attention aren’t so nice. I’d think she’d be treated like royalty. But many residents don’t have a dime…so. Got to be one of the crappiest jobs (pun here?) harder to hire staff and the pay sucks.

Another series of reasons why none of us want to end up in a ‘care’ facility. Damn, having relatives and friends end up there – FEW good stories. My uncle had MS eventually dying from it. The ‘care’ he received was typically pathetic, same story when he spent time in a VA hospital. My God walking by rooms was a horror story. My uncle was 100+ miles from us. My mother would drive there weekly despite working FT, to visit him, spending a good part of the visit just cleaning him up and moving his body to a more comfortable position as he eventually couldn’t move at all. Half off the bed, snot hanging from his nose, and worse. Always excuses from staff “We just checked on him.” Shitty deal from any angle.

MIL went to a ‘nice’ facility and having money, she pays – 13 GRAND/month. Yeah, it’s nicer; but some of the stories about care/attention aren’t so nice. I’d think she’d be treated like royalty. But many residents don’t have a dime…so. Got to be one of the crappiest jobs (pun here?) harder to hire staff and the pay sucks.
My dad had a good outcome with a long term care facility. However, he was fortunate to have the opportunity to get in on the ground floor, with no waiting period, for the independent living tier, where he lived for 9 years before entering the full time nursing section. Same place today has a ten year wait to get in, so you essentially have to sign up at least a decade before you need care. My wife and I got on the list five years ago, when she turned 65. They won't let you in if you can't live independently when you enter. They make money on the gamble they likely won't have to provide care at the end. Odds are about 70%, in favor of the facility.

Pulled really hard on my suction grab bars and it held. I was a bit surprised that it held, slipped an 1/8". Shower has engineer marble wall, very flat. You might want to try them for the price. Edit 1/8" not 18"as it said before

Last edited:
I have a few of them
2 in the Master Bath shower
a couple coming in from the garage, at top of the entry
a couple by the back stairs, 2 steps
(none out front, they used a ramp in the back to get inside)
all here when I purchased the house, all quality stainless steel
I just left them in...

the lady who lived here & her husband before he died
were, he was in his 90's used a walker & the other wheelchair-bound,
she was like 88 when she passed,
her kids are who I bought the place from, back in 2005...

I just left them, some 18+ years later
comes in pretty damn handy for my elderly 86 y/o dad, now
really sad watching his decline
Thankfully I don't need them...

Last edited:

13 Grand per month! It would be cheaper for her to go on a year long sea cruise. They have medical staff on those ships, good food, and activities.

I have a few of them
2 in the Master Bath shower
a couple coming in from the garage, at top of the entry
a couple by the back stairs, 2 steps
(none out front, they used a ramp in the back to get inside)
all here when I purchased the house,
I just left them in...

the lady who lived here & her husband before he died
were, he was in his 90's used a walker & the other wheelchair-bound,
she was like 88 when she passed,
her kids are who I bought the place from, back in 2005...

I just left them, some 18+ years later
comes in pretty damn handy for my elderly 86 y/o dad, now
really sad watching his decline
Thankfully I don't need them...
Yet. Reality bites. My spouse says it sucks that she could never duplicate my performance with high performance mobility gear (forearm crutches, and ultralight wheelchair.) Her choice, she will use low end medicare junk before it’s over.

would be cheaper for her to go on a year long sea cruise
I had been aware of outrageous costs before but nothing like this. Seems that anyone having nice cash having to go into a home should know it'll take all ya got or go bankrupt so the state takes over and hope for a decent facility to be sent to. Some have dumped their money to kinfolk; though think it has to be a good lead time, don't know.

Hope God can bless me like he did my Dad 18 years ago, let him have just over 85 years of a wonderful, giving, loving, and fruitful life,
and he took him home while he was pulling the engine out of his tractor.
Didn’t feel fair at the time, and I was mad as hell, but him never having to see nursing care I’m sure made him feel he won this deal

Quite a lot of those businesses charge "what the client can afford" and that usually means 80-90% of what they have or their income.

My mom looked at a place that only allows you to have $5000 in the bank or they charge a LOT more. Not sure how they verify that unless you volunteer it.

Auto Transport Service
Back