• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The age old question. Is it a Hotrod or s Streetrod? What makes them so?

I own a 49 Ford Business Coupe that's got a narrowed rearend and a 514" BBF under the hood. I've never once called it a street rod.

However I refer to it as the old Hot Rod.

Tom

To me hot rods are the older modified stuff and street rods were 60's muscle cars with blowers etc. All shown in the magazines of my youth. Restomod is an old car with a modern engine and suspension.

I own a 49 Ford Business Coupe that's got a narrowed rearend and a 514" BBF under the hood. I've never once called it a street rod.

However I refer to it as the old Hot Rod.

Tom
Budnicks 49 Ford Business Coupe Pro-Gas #4.jpg

Budnicks 49 Ford Business Coupe Pro Gas #1.JPG

Budnicks 49 Ford Business Coupe Pro-Gas #7a Hilborn Hat & tunnel-ram.JPG

Budnicks 49 Ford Business Coupe Pro-Gas #8 Interior.JPG

Budnicks 49 Ford Pro-Gas Ed Roth Personalized & autographed Tee shirt.JPG

from the 1979 Movie, named 'Hot Rod'
at Fremont Raceway

41 Willys Movie Hot Rod @ Fremont Raceway.jpg

State DMVs will define what's a Street Rod.

Pennsylvania's description...

"Street rod—A motor vehicle, or a reproduction thereof, with a model year of 1948 or older which has been materially altered or modified by the removal, addition or substitution of essential parts and with a gross weight or registered gross weight of not more than 9,000 pounds."
View attachment 1568461
View attachment 1568462
View attachment 1568463
View attachment 1568464
View attachment 1568465
It's probably where the term originated via a
state bureaucracy. Anytime some hotrodder
dared be different, the local LEO'S were pulling them over checking for
infractions.

Last edited:
I think the 1948 thing is because the last split windshield cars with flat glass were 48’s. 1949 ushered in the one piece with curves.

Hotrod, Streetrod, Restomod,
or Ratrod? This build has all
of those traits by definition.
Old sheetmetal on a new
chassis. Grille is custom
along with the bed. Fenders
and running boards
shortened.
20230830_152808.jpg

I seem to remember reading that before all of this, they were called "Tin Lizzies" from the street scene shortly after WW2.

In my neck of the hoods decades later, they simply identified a modified car as "Worked"

I drive a Restomod, but if asked, I tell people it's just an old Hot Rod. I think Ed's ( @moparedtn ) is right, how old you are and where you're from may make a difference. It's a time machine to me!!

I drive a Restomod, but if asked, I tell people it's just an old Hot Rod. I think Ed's ( @moparedtn ) is right, how old you are and where you're from may make a difference. It's a time machine to me!!
I keep it even simpler, using terms such as "Mopar" and "GTX" - and about a third of the time, the other person
will reply something dorky like "oh yeah, I LOVE those old Pontiacs".

A kind, patient correction from me typically ensues...part of being a good steward is educating the masses, eh? :lol:

I keep it even simpler, using terms such as "Mopar" and "GTX" - and about a third of the time, the other person
will reply something dorky like "oh yeah, I LOVE those old Pontiacs".

A kind, patient correction from me typically ensues...part of being a good steward is educating the masses, eh? :lol:
I've had people ask me, what is that and does it still had the original 440 in it, being that it's a Coronet 440. LOL.

I seem to remember reading that before all of this, they were called "Tin Lizzies" from the street scene shortly after WW2.

In my neck of the hoods decades later, they simply identified a modified car as "Worked"
Tin Lizzy was the nickname for the Ford Model T. Nothing to do with hot rods. The term Hot Rod was coined in 1943. It covered cars that were "worked" (made to go faster).

To me hot rods are the older modified stuff and street rods were 60's muscle cars with blowers etc. All shown in the magazines of my youth. Restomod is an old car with a modern engine and suspension.
i agree w stevess, hot rods were the 30-40-50’s cars modded for cruising or racing . 60&70’s cars are street rods . not sure why but that’s how i grouped them imho…

Regular cars with typical hop up parts (or even not so common) are all hot rods to me.

I had a young fella come up to me at a gathering and this was the question and opinions being thrown around. Everyone young was asking what it is, in that fashion of categorizing what kind of build it is. When the 20-something asked me, I just said, “To me it’s just a “Hot Rod.” Nothing altered, nothing to be welded back in, all steel.

IMG_5342.jpeg
IMG_5345.jpeg

I think the 1948 thing is because the last split windshield cars with flat glass were 48’s. 1949 ushered in the one piece with curves.

Not so, My 49 Ford has a two piece windshield and Ford didn't go to a one piece windshield until 1952.

Tom

Auto Transport Service
Back