• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The age old question. Is it a Hotrod or s Streetrod? What makes them so?

Streetrods are billet, modern amenities, modern wheels, suspension, fiberglass, etc....
Hotrods are traditional builds from the 40's-mid 60's.

My brother is seriously into the hotrod scene. His 33 is from a container in Kally. It was put away in the 60's. He rebuilt what was there, made it safe, and drives it as it was stored.
His 32, is a brand-new build, done to exacting old-school ideas and technology. He's well into the six-figures with that one.

He's as much a snob about his hobby, as the oem muscle-car guys are. Don't call his stuff "street-rods" or "rat-rods". He'll educate you, if you like it or not.

View attachment 1568469
View attachment 1568470
View attachment 1568471View attachment 1568815

I would consider both of your brothers cars “Traditional Hot Rods”, the 33 is perfect as it is…

I had to find this pic, my grandpa was born in 1906 , this is him in his 1st car in the early 20s , I'm not sure what it started out as.
He told me once that the seat was the gas tank. Looks like hard rubber tires as I can see a split in one.
Wish I could clean up the pic enough to read the date on the plate.
The other picture is him in his early 70s not long before he passed away.
It's lookin like gramps had him a hot rod. :drinks:
20200126_183637.jpg
20200126_182903.jpg

Take a ‘73 B-body and paint it yellow.
I call that a “Hawk Rod”

This is from the Wikki...
"hot rodding has less to do with the vehicle and more to do with an attitude and lifestyle".
In this light, it seems one
can have a hotrod streetrod.

Auto Transport Service
Back