• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Synthetic oil

alsant

Local time
7:07 PM
Reaction score
So over the years I have run a lot of different brands of synthetic oils. And they all seem to do a great job ! Right now I have been using amsoil in my Jeep and Mobil 1 in wife and kids vehicles. I drive a lot different than the rest of my family ! So that means I like to get on it ! So we all know synthetic is the way to go but is there a big difference between each brand?

I know This has been asked before but I want to drag it over the coals one more time.

I'd stay away from synthetic oil. :D
Im running conventional 10w30 with high zinc.

Amsoil. Starts In a Lab. Additive package massages seals.

I run synthetic in our daily struggle buggies -usually whatever's on sale, because I don't think there's much difference in brands. But the Coronet gets only Brad Penn 10W40 (with zinc).

I run Royal Purple in the wifes 2016 R/T, was thinking of switching to Amsoil, but the other 3 vehicles I own, need the old school oil with zinc, so currently its a hodge podge.

Side note, I used to run Mobil 1, cause its what Chrysler ran in the Viper, then Mopar switched to Pensoil, I thought, "well I better switch, cause my R/T is under warranty. Then I found out the reason Chrysler switched from Mobil 1 to Pennsoil, was because they stuck Mobil 1 with a big bill when they got the "bail out" and refused to sell to them unless the paid up"

I thought some dudes in white lab coats, with test tubes told them to switch, not accountants. !

I ran Kendall for years, but it's hard to find anymore - at least here in NE Ohio.

My grandpop was born in 1919, and was always a mechanic, (was drafted in WW2 and was in charge of a motor pool in Okinawa,for 18 months) He used to swear by Havoline.
He would buy cases of it when it was on sale. Even if he had a full case. Havoline, and one blue bottle of STP, every oil change, LOL!!
I don't use the Havoline, sorry Pop, but do use the STP on my older engines.

My grandpop, also used to call Mopars, Dodge brother products!
And said Ford, stood for:F&@#ED Over Rebuilt Dodge
The Havoline bottles I remember had the star logo, not the Chevron sheild/emblem

Last edited:
Kendall is owned by ConocoPhillips.
Havoline had the Texaco star until they merged with Chevron.

I have not even looked at a Havoline bottle in years, but after this thread, I had to look it up online, and the newer logo(from around 2001, LOL!!!) looked so weird to me.
I have not even notice it all these years, how things change!

I ran Kendall for years, but it's hard to find anymore - at least here in NE Ohio.
Kendall is owned by ConocoPhillips.
Havoline had the Texaco star until they merged with Chevron.

Brad Penn, now Penn Grade is the old Kendall. Same formula as back in the day. The Green oil. I talked with one of Penn Grades chemist to verify what was what when they changed the name to Penn Grade. Call and ask :)

I'm with Michael. Dino 10W30 oil works just fine.
Had many vehicles go 300K plus over the years.

So if Kendall is ConocoPhillips Penn Grade is ConocoPhillips.
But I see Penngrade is D-A Lubricants.
So, Brad Penn must have sold the Kendall name.

Last edited:
On a late model vehicle the engine is engineered to last only so many years. Typically the engine will outservive the rest of the car. I haven't heard of any late model engine breakdowns due to brand of oil. I say whatever type of oil the manufacturer recommends, with brand being your choice.

So if Kendall is ConocoPhillips Penn Grade is ConocoPhillips.
But I see Penngrade is D-A Lubricants.
So, Brad Penn must have sold the Kendall name.

Looks like it.
20200816_215625.jpg

20200816_214936.jpg

This is one of those topics where I feel like there’s a lot of older, experienced guys who will swear by Dino but, I routinely see the newer synthetic oils outperform (in every aspect) their Dino counterparts - in newer model vehicles. I’d love to see some actual peer reviewed lab tests in our older Chrysler engines and, get some actual science on what’s best longer term.

FWIW, we run Dino in our B bodies and A bodies (strictly because it’s usually cheaper and it’s worked perfectly fine for 40+ years).

If you go Full Syn, the previously mentioned Amsoil and Royal Purple brands both have great respect with lots of vehicle different forums.

Last edited:
No doubt about it...synthetic oils are superior in all tests. But the lubrication quality is probably beyond the point of diminishing returns.
...like wearing 2 raincoats

Rotella has been the work horse for my stuff forever, no complaints and I can still buy beer after the oil change....justsayin

Auto Transport Service
Back