• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Trifecta

So this was me today when the Dr cut me loose
giphy (5).gif

Today I got all the good and bad news. Don't worry nothing terrible, I have 2 tumors both are going to be removed with NO radiation or chemo. Prognosis is very good , but that's not why I'm updating this thread. I have spent most of my adult life helping people in all sorts of ways. It is something I enjoy seeing people young and old succeed. I received a call from one of these people that I have assisted in the trucking industry. He was inquiring about my hospital stay and what was going on now. Then he abruptly blurted out that if I needed a kidney that he would gladly give me one of his. I cannot translate the sincerity in his words. But he made it very clear what I meant to him as a friend. I have never been so humbled in my life. I struggled for a response but couldn't get it out due to the emotions that I couldn't control. What do you say ? Thanks? That doesn't seem to be even close to enough.

Yep, thanks isn't enough when someone would offer what he did. I have a cousin who needed a liver transplant, on his death bed, when out of nowhere a complete stranger, a retired Air force pilot volunteered. They are best of friends now.

Glad your prognosis doesn't involve the chemo or radiation. Early diagnosis is key most of the time. Keep us posted.

Well 2020 just keeps getting worse by the day. After everything that's happened this year I got that early morning call that everyone knows is bad news. My Dad passed yesterday, not of the covid 19 but natural causes. We had a very rocky relationship, but he still gave me life R.I.P One Eyed Jack

My condolences to you and your family.

R.I.P. One Eyed Jack

So sorry to hear of your loss, on top of everything else going on. My condolences, and here's hoping for a better second half of the year!

sorry to hear of your loss Roger

RIP One eyed Jack

In early 2017, I went to see a Dr about my nervous stomach. They did an MRI and a CT scan and found the same thing that you did. Docs said that kidney stuff like this is most often found by accident. By the time real symptoms show up, it is too late to do anything. I had a partial removal using the 6 armed robot and have had follow up scans and X rays since. I've been fine. You will be too. Stay positive.
Ditto. They found the tumor on my left kidney quite by accident, doing "old man scans" in 2013.
Saved my life in going in when I did, despite not having any inkling anything was wrong....

The tumor grew from the size of a walnut to the size of a softball in less than three weeks' time.
I also had robotic surgery, performed by the guy that invented that particular surgery, down at UT.
He told me I had less than a week left if the surgery had not been expedited as it was....

That one was rough. Due to the accelerated, aggressive nature of the tumor, the surgery was well over 8 hours and quite invasive. Bled to death in the OR, the whole shebang.
Took a long time to recover....hence the beginnings of the work on the GTX.
Followed that up with three more cancers in years since, including the thyroid one just a couple years ago.
Lost that chunk, too.

I'm missing some parts and got some cool gnarly scars, but **** still works, sort of. :thumbsup:
So will you, Roger. Praying hard for you, man.
If my sorry arse can survive it, anyone can. :)

I'd rather skid into the casket with scars and stories than to passively go with nothing interesting to say.

Ditto. They found the tumor on my left kidney quite by accident, doing "old man scans" in 2013.
Saved my life in going in when I did, despite not having any inkling anything was wrong....

The tumor grew from the size of a walnut to the size of a softball in less than three weeks' time.
I also had robotic surgery, performed by the guy that invented that particular surgery, down at UT.
He told me I had less than a week left if the surgery had not been expedited as it was....

That one was rough. Due to the accelerated, aggressive nature of the tumor, the surgery was well over 8 hours and quite invasive. Bled to death in the OR, the whole shebang.
Took a long time to recover....hence the beginnings of the work on the GTX.
Followed that up with three more cancers in years since, including the thyroid one just a couple years ago.
Lost that chunk, too.

I'm missing some parts and got some cool gnarly scars, but **** still works, sort of. :thumbsup:
So will you, Roger. Praying hard for you, man.
If my sorry arse can survive it, anyone can. :)
I'm not to worried about the surgery, it's the recovery. I'm used to doing what I want when I want. Doctor is telling me 4-6 weeks of light duty and no work. Like I need more time off this year. So far I've only worked a grand total of 8 weeks since January 1st.

I'm not to worried about the surgery, it's the recovery. I'm used to doing what I want when I want. Doctor is telling me 4-6 weeks of light duty and no work. Like I need more time off this year. So far I've only worked a grand total of 8 weeks since January 1st.
It was for me for sure, but like I said, mine was pretty darn invasive (and death-defying, turns out).
I was gutted pretty bad, even with the robotics doing the work.
I screwed up more than once, not listening to the surgeon and others in aftercare, too - I kept pushing things to get back to normal, sometimes causing more damage in the process.
Mule-headed, I reckon...
Threats of putting me back in the hospital finally cooled my jets for a few weeks. :)

I'd wait until my wife left for work, then sloooowly force myself out to the garage to work on something on the GTX every day without anyone knowing. That took literally minutes at first, me hunched over like the hunchback of Notre Dame, slowly shuffling as quickly as I could stand it.
That worked for a couple weeks, but she came home early one day and caught me under the car.
I heard the other garage door opener engaging and knew the jig was up. :)
Much fussing and such commenced, followed by a lot of "yes, dears" - but I had established a pattern that would both get me back in the swing of things, SLOWLY, as well as advance the revival of the GTX from death as well.
We both got better together, as it turned out.
As a result the GTX, as imperfectly flawed as she may be (ditto my own carcass), absolutely means the world to me.

Lookit, I pray and know your struggle to come won't be any worse than mine was but if I may, I can only offer a little advice from having gone through it:
Pre-surgery, exercise as much as you can stand. Build up stamina if possible, it shortens recovery time after.
Once the deed is done, when they're telling you to chill, DO IT. At least for a couple weeks....
After that, give 'em hell!!
You got this. :thumbsup:

Oh, and PS:
Don't be an idiot and refuse all painkillers like I did. That's just a "me" thing.
Skeered of taking a liking to them. Seen too many good people ruined by addiction to opioids.

Oh, and PS:
Don't be an idiot and refuse all painkillers like I did. That's just a "me" thing.
Skeered of taking a liking to them. Seen too many good people ruined by addiction to opioids.
I feel the same way, I can't stand anything stronger than prescription tylenol. The Doctor is telling me my tumor is 11cm and pretty aggressive. And the wife has already made arrangements to have me on lockdown.

It was for me for sure, but like I said, mine was pretty darn invasive (and death-defying, turns out).
I was gutted pretty bad, even with the robotics doing the work.
I screwed up more than once, not listening to the surgeon and others in aftercare, too - I kept pushing things to get back to normal, sometimes causing more damage in the process.
Mule-headed, I reckon...
Threats of putting me back in the hospital finally cooled my jets for a few weeks. :)

I'd wait until my wife left for work, then sloooowly force myself out to the garage to work on something on the GTX every day without anyone knowing. That took literally minutes at first, me hunched over like the hunchback of Notre Dame, slowly shuffling as quickly as I could stand it.
That worked for a couple weeks, but she came home early one day and caught me under the car.
I heard the other garage door opener engaging and knew the jig was up. :)
Much fussing and such commenced, followed by a lot of "yes, dears" - but I had established a pattern that would both get me back in the swing of things, SLOWLY, as well as advance the revival of the GTX from death as well.
We both got better together, as it turned out.
As a result the GTX, as imperfectly flawed as she may be (ditto my own carcass), absolutely means the world to me.

Lookit, I pray and know your struggle to come won't be any worse than mine was but if I may, I can only offer a little advice from having gone through it:
Pre-surgery, exercise as much as you can stand. Build up stamina if possible, it shortens recovery time after.
Once the deed is done, when they're telling you to chill, DO IT. At least for a couple weeks....
After that, give 'em hell!!
You got this. :thumbsup:
:lol: getting caught red handed sucks, but worth it.

Its been a while since I have updated, so here goes. I had my surgery and all went well. About 3 weeks after surgery I started developing numbness around my belt line. I didn't really think much about it. I went back to work and about 3 days in the numbness started expanding. It got worse now I can hardly walk. Went to the emergency room and was told I have arthritis in my back. And that is what is causing the problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back