• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Those wascally wabbits!

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
12:08 AM
Reaction score
I found baby bunnies while mowing the back yard today. I took 5 of 6 of them to the OKC Wildlife Rescue. One was dead.

IMG_20220531_141816062.jpg

IMG_20220531_141800789.jpg

IMG_20220531_141805905.jpg

I mowed over a litter the other day. Didn't hurt em. The mother was running around in circles after I went to another part of the yard so I knew she had a burrow somewhere. I've seen it before. I found the burrow in the grass I just mowed & left it be. She moved them that night...

No Mom around. Shallow hole in the ground about 4 inches deep. It's going to rain 3 inches tonight. Besides, I'm installing a new flower bed out there and don't need rabbits eating the tender plants.

Rabbits hide their babies during the day while they're off getting food. Momma's gonna eat you plants in retribution! :poke::lol:

I didn't know that. She hid the babies in a field if sweet tall fescue grass. So, she must be a picky eater. She hasn't been back.

Mother rabbits only visit the babies when feeding. This protects the babies from being seen in a large "nest". This time of year we get calls about abandoned babies that are not really abandoned, they are hidden.

We found a nest of them inside our raised planter bed, inside our pool fence a few years ago. They were a mess when they got to the size they could escape the flower bed. We rescued them from the pool a couple of times until their mother finally took them away. There was one who had a distinct personality like a cat. Every time I would run him down and put back him in the raised planter he would lay his ears back and have this look of complete stubbornness. We named him Peter Rabbit.

My dog found a nest of rabbits in the yard the other day. I covered them back up and mama moved them that evening. 440'

Those are some tiny bunnies!
They can't be more than a few days old.
I took over guardianship of my father-in-law's rabbits when he got divorced, about 17 years ago. Bandit and Brandy lived to be appx 12 years old, I'm not too sure as they were grown when we got them. My wife took a liking to them and for her sake I've been caring for their kind ever since. I think we are on #10 and 11 at the moment. They are too messy for inside the house so I made them their own! Complete with a heater on a thermostat and removeable windows (not Andersons). Fresh hay, water, pellets, carrots and apples every day, muck 'em out once a week. It's sort of therapeutic. I would prefer to see them in the wild but really not safe in the city/suburb environment. They don't seem to mind and boy do they love "their human's" attention. Most of them stick around between 8-10 years, some more some less.

IMG_20160123_122554_793.jpg
IMG_20160123_122554_793.jpg
20210213_103258.jpg
20210425_112113.jpg
20210425_112155.jpg
IMG_20151214_080111_181.jpg
IMG_20160214_171542_842.jpg
IMG_20180401_213046_177.jpg
Resized_20220404_181215.jpeg

The dead one had parasites on it and so did a few others. They're better off with the vets at the Wildlife Rescue. Plus, they're not in my yard.

Quick story ....
Several years ago, when I finally decided I had enough and told my wife "when the last one leaves us I am done with bunnies", something unexpected happened. We had two at the time, the older one "Chocolate" (my wife's favorite to that point) and "Vanilla". Chocolate passed on and Vanilla, along with Marybeth, went into a funk. I had just built the Bunny Mahal and she asked why I went through all the trouble of that to give up on the hobby? Soon afterward we received an article forwarded to us by a friend about an ASPCA rescue. Two years prior the agency confiscated 280 (thereabout) rabbits from some lady in Brooklyn. Apparently the neighbors were complaining for years and finally for the sake of everybody involved, including the animals, the city took action. Some were in cages some not, some healthy some not, none were spayed/neutered and as to be expected lots of pregnant females with broods on the way.
As the story goes the critters were held for a year. The sick were tended to, the too far gone were euthanized and the expectant mothers relieved of their cargo. All were fixed and the ASPCA was left with the quandary of what to do with 179 (final count) Brooklyn Bunnies. Forgettaboutit!
They arranged three adoption days, IIRC two in Manhattan and one in Brooklyn. Marybeth was so excited she made me take her to the first one in Union Square (14th Street, NYC). The paperwork we had to fill out when we got there was unbelievable. We had to be vetted, a process that I believe would have been easier if we were purchasing an AR-15. My wife eventually showed the young ladies staffing the adoption the pictures of the bunny house and that was all it took. From there we chose 3 that were in a cage together .... Mia, Mya and Mila. Supposedly a mother and two daughters but I had to take their word for it. They asked me which one (each had a $75 adoption fee attached) and I responded "how do you take away mamma's babies?". The rest is history, so much for being done with the bunnies.

PS. To all you single young guys out there ..... it seems an easy way to gain the affection of twenty something hotties is to adopt three bunnies on a NYC sidewalk. Marybeth noticed them blushing as I flirted and I gave her a wink. "Keep dreaming" was what she said to me as we were loading up the Durango with our new little fur babies.

Auto Transport Service
Back