• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to hit the Track.

Malex, it sounds like she just told you "2 and 2 is 5" . Any long time racer knows that is not true. Otherwise, why is there a minimum height spec? My guess is that she knew she was fibbing and just didn't like getting called on it.
Btw, wooks didn't exactly ease up on you did he? .032 package would win 95 out of a 100 rounds were i race.
---
Wooks reminded me that he owed before the race Lolol. But that's ok, twice last year I ripped him real good LOL. Right Wooks? :) And this isn't over yet because this has now become a best of 5 seeing that I've already won best of 3! We can only be mad for 10 minutes though, it's a rule. I think there's a conspiracy going on there though, setting us Mopars up against each other always.
You're right too about my encounter with Ma Kettle. I'd gladly lose a race to avoid that again. Lol.

Well that answers whether you hopped the light, that's in your normal 60ft time range. Went back and looked at 330ft and 1/8 mile times normal. 33 imp's idea sounds good. Could the nose down from being on the brakes.

It’s not possible to “hop the light”. When you’re staged, you’re breaking the beam. As soon as you leave the beam and it reconnects itself, that’s what triggers the clock to start. Wouldn’t matter whether you left the beam in a forward or straight up motion. You’re leaving the beam, not breaking into it when you leave.

Sounds like you’re exactly where I was a couple of years ago, Malex. The only way to get better and really start to feel confident is seat time. Experiencing all of the things you are describing now will pay off before long. I don’t want to sound like I’m some old Pro, because I’m not. But the lumps I took the last two years are paying off for me this year, as I have started to feel less like the hunted, and more like the hunter recently. One of the biggest lessons I finally seem to have gotten through my thick skull is that you don’t have to be perfect. Just turn the light green and run your number. If you can do those things and let the others make mistakes, you’ll win a lot of drag races.

It’s not possible to “hop the light”. When you’re staged, you’re breaking the beam. As soon as you leave the beam and it reconnects itself, that’s what triggers the clock to start. Wouldn’t matter whether you left the beam in a forward or straight up motion. You’re leaving the beam, not breaking into it when you leave.

Sounds like you’re exactly where I was a couple of years ago, Malex. The only way to get better and really start to feel confident is seat time. Experiencing all of the things you are describing now will pay off before long. I don’t want to sound like I’m some old Pro, because I’m not. But the lumps I took the last two years are paying off for me this year, as I have started to feel less like the hunted, and more like the hunter recently. One of the biggest lessons I finally seem to have gotten through my thick skull is that you don’t have to be perfect. Just turn the light green and run your number. If you can do those things and let the others make mistakes, you’ll win a lot of drag races.
----
Appreciate the words and advise LW and I know it's going to come around, perhaps sooner than later. It's just me now and I'm working on it.

I try to be as close as I can on my dial and light with Malex. He sells himself short. I know every time I pair up with him I am in for a race. Some guys I can hold a few. Some I know I have to be on my game and I consider Malex one of those guys.

.0076 mov is about 1 1/2 feet. That's a good stripe. I find when there is a fair amount of speed differential it's hard to judge exactly when you catch your opponent. Was it just before the stripe, or just after. Watching the other car and knowing exactly where you both are in relation to the stripe is tough in a close race. A .05 mov is child's play even with a 40 mph spread. Mov of .01 , now that's where the winners make there money.
Doug

Malex, I think you need to call the fox body out. Heads up all out and take him to the cleaners. That will prove that you are the true winner.

I try to be as close as I can on my dial and light with Malex. He sells himself short. I know every time I pair up with him I am in for a race. Some guys I can hold a few. Some I know I have to be on my game and I consider Malex one of those guys.
---
Thanks Wooks! You're one of those guys that I can learn lots from, and have been.

Malex, I think you need to call the fox body out. Heads up all out and take him to the cleaners. That will prove that you are the true winner.
-----
That Fox took the winning ticket and ran and Malex learns another lesson, lol.
Just the same, It was a terrible day with ridiculous air and unpredictable track. I ran 10.10 in the left, 10.32 in the right. How can that be, but it was. Apparently there is plans to get the track scraped down before next meet.

@malex , "how can that be?" I dont think the rollout in the bad lane could be that far out of spec, but i could be wrong. That would seem to indicate a traction problem not related to your car. A little something something in the bad lane? Balled up rubber from an excessive street car burnout? You mentioned maybe scraping the track. You are foot braking aren't you? Maybe less launch rpm on the bad lap. Maybe tires with a couple lbs more pressure from a previous pass? This is where modern racers with data acquisition have an advantage (I'm not one).
Both of my local tracks (one 1/8, one 1/4) are built in the parking lot of a circle track. At the 1/8 track, the right lane has to jog left to get around it, therefore all the fast cars (yours would definitely fit that category) use the left lane. On Thursday tnt, the run them only in the left lane, usually as a single. As a result, there is sometimes a wild difference between lanes.
Just as an aside.... did you see if the incrementals matched your other passes. You mentioned a slow 60 ft and 1/4, but how about 60-330, 330-660 etc.?

I had trouble on hot greasy tracks for quite a while. 60ft could vary over .10 on back to back passes. Eventually got the shocks close . Much better. Though its slower on those tracks it's high to low numbers are much better. Now the chase is when they prep between some rounds, but not others. This past weekend 60ft s had a variance of .04. Challenging to say the least. Track time helps. I think you guys are doing well with your limited track time. I run against some guys that make 300+ runs a year. Many run 14×32 tires. The 10.5" tire is just another obstacle. Keep at it. If it were cheap and easy anyone could do it
Doug

@malex , "how can that be?" I dont think the rollout in the bad lane could be that far out of spec, but i could be wrong. That would seem to indicate a traction problem not related to your car. A little something something in the bad lane? Balled up rubber from an excessive street car burnout? You mentioned maybe scraping the track. You are foot braking aren't you? Maybe less launch rpm on the bad lap. Maybe tires with a couple lbs more pressure from a previous pass? This is where modern racers with data acquisition have an advantage (I'm not one).
Both of my local tracks (one 1/8, one 1/4) are built in the parking lot of a circle track. At the 1/8 track, the right lane has to jog left to get around it, therefore all the fast cars (yours would definitely fit that category) use the left lane. On Thursday tnt, the run them only in the left lane, usually as a single. As a result, there is sometimes a wild difference between lanes.
Just as an aside.... did you see if the incrementals matched your other passes. You mentioned a slow 60 ft and 1/4, but how about 60-330, 330-660 etc.?
----
That's what I say, how could that be.. Here's my test passes, 43 minutes apart, right lane, then left. I'm certain that I didn't lose traction, car goes out straight, Air was 4500' , right lane and 4450' , left lane (10.10 run).

image.jpg

Everybody had issues. Wooks said his car was also .10 slower in the right lane and .04 off in the 60'. I can't explain it, and sure enough I got stuck in the right lane first eliminations wondering what to dial in at.

Every one of your incremental times were quicker on your quick pass. Your car was stronger everywhere, not just in the 60ft. I've got no clue. Headwind? What is strange is wookie experienced it too. Short of a small local tornado, i dont see wind ruining a 60ft time.

I have same issue. 1.38 60 in left lane. 1.42 60 in right. Same track. .07 difference on the top end between lanes. Right hand lane has issues at that track.

Wookie, do you think it's the lane, or the lights?
That would have to be a bunch of rollout distance difference.

.0076 mov is about 1 1/2 feet. That's a good stripe. I find when there is a fair amount of speed differential it's hard to judge exactly when you catch your opponent. Was it just before the stripe, or just after. Watching the other car and knowing exactly where you both are in relation to the stripe is tough in a close race. A .05 mov is child's play even with a 40 mph spread. Mov of .01 , now that's where the winners make there money.
Doug
----
The 1 1/2 feet is what I figured I had him by. That much difference and his door on that short car would have been covering my front tire. Crazy. I had caught him by the 1/8 mile and was just covering him for the win. He was a. 11.30 car to a 10.10. It was in the bag, short of a break out. I initially thought that perhaps time difference must come into play somehow and that I beat myself by lolligagging with him before the stripe. That was the reason I went up to the tower, to fine out how I lost that. Then Godzilla appeared. Lol.

Hard to say. Sometimes the car feels as though it’s leaving as hard. It has been long known that the left lane is the better lane for many years now.

----
That's what I say, how could that be.. Here's my test passes, 43 minutes apart, right lane, then left. I'm certain that I didn't lose traction, car goes out straight, Air was 4500' , right lane and 4450' , left lane (10.10 run).

View attachment 797178

Everybody had issues. Wooks said his car was also .10 slower in the right lane and .04 off in the 60'. I can't explain it, and sure enough I got stuck in the right lane first eliminations wondering what to dial in at.

That time slip on the left, with Malex in the right lane looks funky. As said previous, your car does look to be slower at all intervals, not just in 60. But what I find really strange is the relationship of the two cars in that lane: car in left lane was .023 slower in 60, but was .014 quicker in 330. Then was substantially quicker at the 1/8 marker by .05, yet his MPH was only .08 MPH faster than Malex (hows that possible?). Then, he was first to both the 1000 ft mark and the stripe, but was nearly 3mph slower at the stripe. Did he dump you at the stripe in a time-only run???

That time slip coupled with Malex & Wookies testimony would make me question the clocks in the right lane.

I find the incrementals very telling. Car was off on power that pass. Here's the incremental difference. Spin would at worst kill 60 and possibly 330. Every number is slow. I've never seen clocks make an error on every number. It appeared to be gaining some back towards the end. Motor to warm? bog? loose connection somewhere. I've had it happen as well and come right back.
60 +.067
60-330 +.041
330-660 +.066
660-1000 +.030
1000-1320 +.019
Total =.223
Doug

Checking in who's all racing thiss week end.

Checking in who's all racing thiss week end.
----
Howdy Bearman.
The next scheduled meet for me is July 26 / 27th. Will be a 3-week spread since the last time out for me. But the time is being put to good use. I've been able to refinish the garage foor. I had a dumbass moment though and burnt the **** out of my right hand with pure lye crystals. Skin doesn't grow back as fast as it used to I'm finding. Friends are saying this is a good reason to upgrade to an air shifter!

Auto Transport Service
Back