• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to hit the Track.

Going by yesterday's DA at the worst time of day was 3845 DA.
----
It sure was a hot one yesterday, like a sauna while in the staging lanes. This was my last run yesterday stored with current. Car slowed to 10.26 and I lit the red.. Too bad too because I dialed 10.26.
IMG_1160.jpg

Well it's not time to hit the track for another 10 days but I'm optimistic! Here's whats been going on.
Over the course of this season I've been noticing a flat spot about 6K in 2nd gear, more and more. Sometimes barely noticeable, the next time, very much so and of course, effecting my ET and MPH. I recall one race day a month ago or so and I ran a 10.10 in the left lane and a 10.32 in the right lane. Last time out I ran a 10.24 with good air and up in 2nd the car just quit pulling so I grabbed high gear and it started pulling again. Needless to say, a problem. So I went on the hunt and here's whats new.

I did a flow test to find that my fuel system was low on volume. Rule of thumb is 1 gallon of fuel in 20 seconds or less for a 10.0 car. I was getting less than 3 quarts. My pump was rated at 150 GPH, and as the Plymouth got quicker this last 2 years, the fuel system couldn't keep up.
IMG_1250.jpg

A new fuel system is now in place. Aeromotive A2000 pump, -10AN line complete with filters.
IMG_1297.JPG

Relocated the fuel pump relay to the rear and doubled them up. Including a resettable 30 amp breaker.
IMG_1302.jpg

The -10 fuel line replaces the previous -8.
IMG_1291.jpg

Upgraded fuel regulator. -10 inlet and dual -8 out to the dominator. I also got to thinking about the needle and seats so did a check on those. I was running .110's, which is rated for up to 650HP! Those have now been replaced with .120's, which are rated good for 775HP.
IMG_1301.jpg

A new set of plug wires. The current wires came with the car and with no idea of just how old they were, might as well eliminate that unknown.
IMG_1305.jpg

The last race weekend I had a fan relay go bad. I was under the dash in the staging lanes shaking relays and wires. Not a problem any longer. Relocated the relays to the bottom of the dash and marked. When I first put the Plymouth together the idea was a street driver and ocassional trip to the track. Needless to say my street car didn't make the best race car, especially when a guy would have to get under the dash.
IMG_1304.jpg

So yes, I'm optimistic for the next race weekend. If there's still layover in 2nd gear I'm sure that Wookie, who pits a couple rows away from me will hear me swearing.

Dumb question did you check the new system for flow. Your old pump should be good for 2.5 gpm, worn out or clogged filter. Rooting for ya.

Dumb question did you check the new system for flow. Your old pump should be good for 2.5 gpm, worn out or clogged filter. Rooting for ya.
----
You know Fran, I haven't. When I started the pump to flush the lines for about 5 seconds though, the 2 quart container was an inch from the top. But now I have to go check!

Fran, had to go do a test.. LOL 1 gallon in 12 seconds.
IMG_1307.jpg

Now all you need is good weather.
Doug
---
Isn't that the truth! There's still one rain out day to make up for and it's the last meet of the season. Lol.

Malex, it's looking great just a couple of questions. First one do you have a toggle bypass for the fans and second are the relays you use. One more do the relays have the diode installed in them.

Malex, it's looking great just a couple of questions. First one do you have a toggle bypass for the fans and second are the relays you use. One more do the relays have the diode installed in them.
---
Hey Bearman, I have separate toggles that provide fused power to both the water pump and the fan relay. No bypass toggle, but a new spare relay in the glove box above. I use the Bosch type relays, and I do not believe they have diodes in them.
I see also that I had better label my under dash relays better. That Wooks could stop by, pop them out and then ask me which one goes where again. :)

How's your project coming. 33 should check out your workmanship, he will see prerfection!
Thanks for the compliment. Been a rough year, but trying to get some work done.

---
Hey Bearman, I have separate toggles that provide fused power to both the water pump and the fan relay. No bypass toggle, but a new spare relay in the glove box above. I use the Bosch type relays, and I do not believe they have diodes in them.
I see also that I had better label my under dash relays better. That Wooks could stop by, pop them out and then ask me which one goes where again. :)
Just paint them different colors all fixed. Good luck on the upcoming race need to see some great racing. I know your itching to get it done. How's the hand all healed up

Well it's not time to hit the track for another 10 days but I'm optimistic! Here's whats been going on.
Over the course of this season I've been noticing a flat spot about 6K in 2nd gear, more and more. Sometimes barely noticeable, the next time, very much so and of course, effecting my ET and MPH. I recall one race day a month ago or so and I ran a 10.10 in the left lane and a 10.32 in the right lane. Last time out I ran a 10.24 with good air and up in 2nd the car just quit pulling so I grabbed high gear and it started pulling again. Needless to say, a problem. So I went on the hunt and here's whats new.

I did a flow test to find that my fuel system was low on volume. Rule of thumb is 1 gallon of fuel in 20 seconds or less for a 10.0 car. I was getting less than 3 quarts. My pump was rated at 150 GPH, and as the Plymouth got quicker this last 2 years, the fuel system couldn't keep up.
View attachment 824883

A new fuel system is now in place. Aeromotive A2000 pump, -10AN line complete with filters.
View attachment 824885

Relocated the fuel pump relay to the rear and doubled them up. Including a resettable 30 amp breaker.
View attachment 824879

The -10 fuel line replaces the previous -8.
View attachment 824877

Upgraded fuel regulator. -10 inlet and dual -8 out to the dominator. I also got to thinking about the needle and seats so did a check on those. I was running .110's, which is rated for up to 650HP! Those have now been replaced with .120's, which are rated good for 775HP.
View attachment 824878

A new set of plug wires. The current wires came with the car and with no idea of just how old they were, might as well eliminate that unknown.
View attachment 824882

The last race weekend I had a fan relay go bad. I was under the dash in the staging lanes shaking relays and wires. Not a problem any longer. Relocated the relays to the bottom of the dash and marked. When I first put the Plymouth together the idea was a street driver and ocassional trip to the track. Needless to say my street car didn't make the best race car, especially when a guy would have to get under the dash.
View attachment 824881

So yes, I'm optimistic for the next race weekend. If there's still layover in 2nd gear I'm sure that Wookie, who pits a couple rows away from me will hear me swearing.
Very nice. Job well done!!!!

Thanks for the compliment. Been a rough year, but trying to get some work done.
---
Oh, sorry to hear things are not so good. Hoping and I'm sure things are coming around for you now.

Auto Transport Service
Back