• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to hit the Track.

Taking a tight stripe at speed differential is tough. In this case my opponent almost blew it taking the stripe at .005. That 9.19 dial might carried me to the next round. I find with a 20-25 mph speed differential a .015-.020 stripe is attainable. .040 and up you better not be set to go under cause if your opponent is good you're going home.
Doug

that was part of my trouble in this case as well, Doug. I’m running 118-119 at the stripe, the other lane was coming on me at about 137! It takes strong nerves to start chopping when the car in the other lane is getting bigger quickly!

I'm on the other side of the coin. When your coming at 145-146 and chasing 120 not to bad. Then there's times at 148-149 chasing 90. The decision has to be made pretty early if your going to lift. Also the slow car can out brake me in the lights.
Doug

I'm curious as to how tight you guys dial your cars? FRUSTRATION runs roughly 11.0-10.90's depending on conditions. Typically at 123 MPH or so. I'll usually dial one hundredth slower than my best time shot. If I cut a good light, and run a reasonably good pass, I'd be pretty close at the stripe. I know a lot of racers keep more "in the bag" than that. I was always taught that a machine (race car) will be more likely to repeat it's performance than a human will. That being true if lots of variables are kept the same (engine temp, tire pressure, launch RPM, shift points, atmosphere, track conditions...) I learned the hard way to take as little stripe as possible. I still remember the race at Cecil where it happened to me. I got way out in front as the slower car. I had no idea the car picked up.... When I got near the stripe, I noticed I had a good margin on my competitor. I blipped the throttle and drove through the finish line with more than a car-length lead. BREAK OUT LOSS! Lots of ways to lose!!

Depends on how good the car is. When it's good, we set up to run dead on. At times even adjusted the car .005 to hit the dial closer to dead on. Obiviously if the car wont repeat you cant do that. Been in both situations. If you are bagging ET you best mix it up from round to round. This past weekend we only had 1 ET in 6 rds that missed by more than .00x. It was caused by driver error. Missed it by .01x. To carry ET you're have to be ready to dump at a given spot. And you have the nerve to give up the stripe. Thats a tough deal to swallow. Ideally you want to be within less than a few feet at the stripe.
Doug

I’m with Doug, while my car is certainly not the copy machine Dougs is, I typically set to run right on the number I know I can get to. Note I said “I KNOW” I can get to. Some days I feel confident with the car and dial dead on. If I think the window is .25 - .26, I’ll dial at the .26 and know where I’m at if I’m a little out front. The faster the car in the other lane, the more I’d lean toward the .25 on that scenario, so I don’t put myself in the chop-box with a big closing rate to judge.
Bottom line, I dial honest, and tight. Guys that spot drop or hold a bunch will claim they’ve got an advantage.... I don’t see it. The low package wins. Hit the tree and on my dial, I don’t care what games are being played in the other lane.... I win.

Last edited:
Back at it. Day 2. Went out second round like rookies do.
Ran 10.12 consistent all day. Some quick pics. Oil
Pan kissed the track again too.
B2A99E44-AC9C-47BA-8F15-672D230C23E6.png

A79EBB83-D765-4BD6-87B3-948C25DD0C11.png

3632031F-F82F-452F-A7B4-1E36B3ECF272.jpeg
98BD438E-FCC6-48B2-A663-963D2B50DADE.png

Your hits and take off are on the mark from the pics. You got to be happy with that for sure. Is a skid plate in order to protect the pan or ?. Might have to put wheelie bars on it ?.

Depends on how good the car is. If you are bagging ET you best mix it up from round to round. And you have the nerve to give up the stripe. Thats a tough deal to swallow. Ideally you want to be within less than a few feet at the stripe.
Doug
thats how i race . Move stuff around . Learn to play the stripe well . No matter what i dial i race as if i am holding . good racers will always get a feel for other racers and how they race . Yes you can say i only race myself and can ignore the other lane but i dont think thats the best way .

Tex

Great air under the front. Sounds like she's coming around. Hope the pan held up.

Your hits and take off are on the mark from the pics. You got to be happy with that for sure. Is a skid plate in order to protect the pan or ?. Might have to put wheelie bars on it ?.
—-
For today I tightened up the front shock rebound and that took some height out of it. Went 4 rounds. My 60’s were consistent 1.34’s, with the exception of 1 1.38 60. The cause of that was the only half the burnout box with water, got me sideways, right away, then spun on the launch. Come 4th round I nail a 1.32 60’, broke out by .007. Still was a great day of racing.

Great air under the front. Sounds like she's coming around. Hope the pan held up.
—-
Thanks, yeah the car works great. Added more rebound to the front shocks today and that took some height out of the wheelies. Running 10.06’s today, right where I want to be while keeping on the safe side of 10.0

Is 10.0 the limit or 9.90? Also would a stiffer torsion bar be of any help? Might help take some of the strain off the shocks.
I wonder have you checked to see if it's bottoming out on the rebound bumpers? Just curious.

Is 10.0 the limit or 9.90? Also would a stiffer torsion bar be of any help? Might help take some of the strain off the shocks.
I wonder have you checked to see if it's bottoming out on the rebound bumpers? Just curious.
—-
10.0 is the limit for me and I’m right there now. I like nothing better than to hang a nice wheelie and run 10.0’s, that’s where I’m at. Dropping down right at the cone. Adding more front shock rebound was the answer for day 2. Those front shock rebound knobs are like a wheelie height adjustment, how much better could it be. :)

Rebound bumpers bottoming out? Well I had just installed new lower control arm bump stops and both of them were knocked off. Just the inner studs were left. I had a used pair with me from upper control arms, installed those for the day, no further issues, was smooth sailing on Day 2.

For the next outing I’ve bolted on the new tires and will see how the car likes those. There’s 3” more rollout, will be adjusting the front shocks to get the right launch. The other thing that really effects my launch height is the DA. Good air, up and away.

9330A556-E635-4090-9848-ABAD78B913B1.jpeg

062769D5-C035-4AF2-BE50-93DDEE5A78E7.jpeg

Can we get a video of your next outing? Sounds like you've got a good handle on it. Good luck!

Can we get a video of your next outing? Sounds like you've got a good handle on it. Good luck!
—-
My Pit crew Manager turned 13 this summer so he’s been unhooking my truck and racing in Junior Street, there went my camera man... Next outing though I will see what we can come up with.

Oh and my Grandson won again on Sunday so that’s 2 for 2 now and he’s rubbing it in too the little bugger. Lol.

Good going grandpa show the kid the ropes.

—-
Here’s a short vid from last Saturday. The run where I beat myself.

A
nd look who’s next up, behind me. Non other than that WOOKS in his purple monster he calls Barney.

Last edited:
Your hooking up. Not mention even the underneath the car looks great.

Time to hit the home track for the 2nd and final time this year. Weather is supposed to be good this weekend and perhaps Wooks and I can both dip into the 9’s a time or 2.

Changes: Trying a shear plate under the dominator, some jet changes, hockey pucks for bump stops and new big rear tires.

4644FFB8-B3BB-411F-9836-0523E4412962.jpeg

CA9115A5-DA23-4F8B-9A3E-AA3ACC3ACFBA.jpeg

55E118E5-5514-4217-B0E5-1B3A7F2F647C.jpeg

E25FA65F-FBCF-4D5F-A6A2-C01FB8029322.jpeg

Hoosier 29.5 X 11.5 W’s. 96” rollout, 15.2 cross section and 13.25” tread. The new big tire’s additional circumference may take away a little on both ends, maybe not, we’ll soon know. Maybe turning the little 505’s launch RPM up some too!
154BCA69-55D1-49B7-91C9-41505C3F4159.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back