• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Today i had a very bad day (Broke parts worth 2k)

Today we installed this fan clutch

together with this fan:

and the wobbling / making contact with the radiator issue seems to be gone! I'm very happy about that.
We reinstalled the old radiator and tested it out thoroughly. (Before we testet briefly with the broken glen ray radiator.)

As some of you know i just replaced the engine mounts aswell with these:
But the old ones look just fine.

So i'm not a 100% sure, maybe the rubber of the old mounts was to soft or something but
to me it looks like i really had 3 bad fan clutches!

So my guess is:

1.The aftermarket clutch the car came with was already broken when i got the car

2.The factory reproduction unit i bought off yearone (probably from tony's parts)
1966-1972 B Body fan clutch for model with A/C. Reproduction
broke soon after installing

3.The original nos clutch was already broken at time of install

That would mean a lot of bad luck but right now it really looks like it.
Especially since both the reproduction and the nos clutch seemed to have play while the new hayden unit does not.

This time i'm not ranting about the install process despite i could. :D
I'm happy the problem seems to be solved.

I just hope that this really was it and that the hayden unit holds up better. (Are those made in the united states?)

I did not sleep very well last night.
So i got up early and started resolving the mess we created yesterday.

Getting that totally bent fan outta the car is amongst the hardest things i've ever done:
(It shoveld itself in the radiator core like welded to it)

View attachment 1298834

View attachment 1298835

View attachment 1298836

The nos fan clutch at least cosmetically still looks fine, though.
I noticed the nos fan clutch is ~ 0.3-0.4" deeper than the reproduction unit that was in the car before.
So that's probably the reason why it completely destroyed the radiator core instead of just lightly touching it.

Look at my (brand new) radiator:

View attachment 1298837

View attachment 1298838

Well i bolted the water pump pulley back on and let it run at idle, i think its not wobbling?
(So it looks like the water pump or water pump pulley isn't the issue?)
Don't worry about the belt its a bit loose but it's brand new (installed it yesterday) and it just needs to be re-adjusted a little bit.
Its not squealing or anything, though.

[/URL]

[/URL]

View attachment 1298840

We also did check the motor mounts (putting in drive while holding brake and giving some throttle input)

[/URL]

At the start where it lifts a bit more is when he put it from park in drive. (The clunk is the transmission issue)
Its lifting a bit more then but i think thats probably normal?
After that (when its in drive while holding brakes and giving it some gas) it looks fine to me? (I mean a bit of movement is normal, right?)

I'm not a professional mechanic.
Let me know what you guys think based on the photos and videos.

I really hope you're not saying motor/transmission mounts because i don't know how i should change them in my dirtfloor driveway and without an engine hoist.

If you guys do not see anything out of the ordinary i will do the fan clutch delete next and see what it does.
But look at the fan clutch, the bolt holes/threads for the fan and water pump do not line up. (fan holes wider out then water pump holes)

View attachment 1298842
(Not my fan clutch, picture of internet)

So it seems that this spacer does not really work without a fan clutch.
View attachment 1298843
There must be an adapter or another water pump pulley to use the fan without a fan clutch?
Looking at the radiator marks it seems to be that fan was on an slight angle (inwards at the bottom) changed a mates 318 to 440 and saw this, had already brought the shorter Hayden clutch , ended up to get better clearance with a std clutch and a 7 blade SB fan ( due to hose clearances)

I went through all of these same issues on a customers '68 Charger R/T (440, A.T.) back in the early 2000s (when we were still driving them daily). Everything was fine until we got on it to 'clean her out'. Fan into radiator. After MUCH head scratching, installing good used fan and clutch (still was too close)...measuring...etc. came to the conclusion....engine mounts were just too flexible. Changed mounts, end of problem.

I went through all of these same issues on a customers '68 Charger R/T (440, A.T.) back in the early 2000s (when we were still driving them daily). Everything was fine until we got on it to 'clean her out'. Fan into radiator. After MUCH head scratching, installing good used fan and clutch (still was too close)...measuring...etc. came to the conclusion....engine mounts were just too flexible. Changed mounts, end of problem.

Thank you for posting this!
What i know for sure is it was the engine mounts or fan clutch.
After your story more likely the engine mounts then. But the other fan clutches all had some play. The new one from hayden currently installed does not.

Auto Transport Service
Back